Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-10, 11:01 PM   #1
VAbassin3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jigging

After reading on this site for months, it's finally time to start posting. I suppose my teenage ego kept me from actually asking people on this site for tips - well here it goes.

I consider myself a pretty decent fisherman, having won a few tournaments - and catching my share of bass this past summer. The problem i have encountered is always using the same thing.

Senkos.

I T-Rig them, Wacky rig them, and almost ALWAYS catch fish ( not always, just majority of the time ). I feel as if i am getting burnt out of it, i fish cranks often - and switch to a spinnerbait from time to time. I just can't seem to find other techniques i have great confidence in no matter how much I use it. I would LOVE to start jigging ( other than senkos ) for bass. I just have no idea where to start, and i suppose that's where you all can help me. How can i get started fishing jigs.

What do i buy?
How do i use it?
Where do i use it?

Money is just an object, just let me know and i'll figure it out.

Last edited by VAbassin3; 09-26-10 at 11:10 PM.
VAbassin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 06:50 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Check out Kevins video on jig fishing. It will get you started in the right dirrection.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 07:05 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

First off, welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is a wealth of information on this site.

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...shing-the-jig/

Like Keith said, these should get you started.

I've got a variety of jigs in my box, but my favorites for fishing weeds are ones I've made.

For rods, I'd suggest a MH to H powered rod with a Fast or XF action. Anything from 6'10-8' will work, with 7'-7'6" being the norm. I like a high speed baitcaster (7.1:1 or greater), spooled with 30-40lb braid or 17lb fluorocarbon. Seaguar AbrasX is a great line.

BB
Old 09-27-10, 09:15 PM   #4
VAbassin3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
First off, welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is a wealth of information on this site.

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...shing-the-jig/

Like Keith said, these should get you started.

I've got a variety of jigs in my box, but my favorites for fishing weeds are ones I've made.

For rods, I'd suggest a MH to H powered rod with a Fast or XF action. Anything from 6'10-8' will work, with 7'-7'6" being the norm. I like a high speed baitcaster (7.1:1 or greater), spooled with 30-40lb braid or 17lb fluorocarbon. Seaguar AbrasX is a great line.

BB
Yeah my main setup i use is a 7'6 Kistler with a Shimano Curado 200e. with 12lb Flouro.

Thanks for all of the info !!
Old 09-28-10, 09:22 AM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ditto on Kevin's videos... that is how i found this site in the first place... was searching for videos on how to fish Jigs... and he is by far teh most informative...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 10:59 AM   #6
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Ditto on Kevin's videos... that is how i found this site in the first place... was searching for videos on how to fish Jigs... and he is by far teh most informative...
Same here. I decided to try braid for the first time because of the videos too. And a new BPS Extreme rod. And a Revo S reel. And about $40 worth of new jigs. Gee, thanks Kevin for the addiction!
Old 09-28-10, 09:21 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you've got good casting ability then start with a Bitsy Bug with a small craw trailer and fish some local ponds to get the hang of it. Work them like a plastic worm and crawl them along and hop them a little.
If you don't have good casting ability then get a bigger one, like 1/4 to 1/2, and get out in your back yard and work on flipping or pitching them. Short casts to start with. Then work down to a smaller one as your casting improves. Once you've improved then follow the above.
Jigs can be used in many places. Grass would be the toughest to learn so I'd save that for last. Rock banks are a good place to start. Then laydowns and pads.
Get a couple good bites in a small pond and you should have the idea.
Old 09-29-10, 09:59 PM   #8
VAbassin3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
If you've got good casting ability then start with a Bitsy Bug with a small craw trailer and fish some local ponds to get the hang of it. Work them like a plastic worm and crawl them along and hop them a little.
If you don't have good casting ability then get a bigger one, like 1/4 to 1/2, and get out in your back yard and work on flipping or pitching them. Short casts to start with. Then work down to a smaller one as your casting improves. Once you've improved then follow the above.
Jigs can be used in many places. Grass would be the toughest to learn so I'd save that for last. Rock banks are a good place to start. Then laydowns and pads.
Get a couple good bites in a small pond and you should have the idea.

Spotsy! Good to see Virginians post, haha. Where do you do most of your fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.