Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-10, 12:24 PM   #1
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I'm curious.

On a average day on the water, how many rod and reel set ups do you take with you and what are they?. This question is for both boaters and land pounders.

BOAT RIGS,
When I take the boat out on a normal fishing day, not tournament, I take five rigs.
3 bait casters- 1 7' MH rod with reel spooled with 30 lb braid. 1 6'6" Medium rod, reel spooled with 15 /30lb. braid. 1- 7' MH rod spooled with
50 lb braid or once in a while same rod with reel spooled with 12/14 lb. Mono.
2 Spinning rigs. 1 7' Med rod- reel spooled with 8lb. mono or 20lb braid. 1 6' 6" med rod- reel spooled with 6 lb mono or 15 lb stealth braid. I've been leaning more and more to braid with spinning gear because of the waters I fish. Lots of rocks. This is where I'd like to love floro, but just can't.

LAND POUNDING RIGS
On days with marginal weather or being short on time, I will grab a few rods and head down to the river. We have a awesome dam about a block from my house. Most always I'll bring along spinning gear and jigs. Floating jig set ups, tipped with various plastics are the ticket here.
I'll usually take two 7' med rods. Both reels will have 20/30 lb braid with floro leaders, This is a must because of the current and rocks. Fishing the dams on foot usually produces good smallies, but quite a few Walleye can be had for good dinners.

I have fished tournaments in the past. Didn't do any this year since getting and fighting cancer. I've kept it to, if I feel like fishing today, MOST OF THE TIME, I will. If I have a rough day, I'll take it easy.
I hope to get back into tournaments next season. When tournament fishing I'll usually take about 6-8 rigs. I could fish the tourneys with my usual 5 rigs and do fine. I tend to bring more gear than I'll need for peace of mind.
I'll be interested to hear how you guys gear up.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 01:29 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When i bank fish... Its a simple setup. 5'8" Spinning rig with 8lb flouro for wacky rig, weightless t-rig, and drop shot. Then on the occasion i hit water that i may throw spinnerbaits, crankbaits, or weighted plastics I will take a 5'6"M baitcaster.

When I am the guy on the back of Dads boat...
2 6'6"MH baitcatser spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, T-rigs
1 7'MH Baitcaster Jigs, Swimbaits, T-Rigs, soft jerkbaits
1 7'MH crankin stick for deep crankin, hard jerkbaits
1 5'6"M Baitcaster for shallow to medium crankin and topwater
1 5'8"M Spinning Rig for Senkos...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 01:55 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I fish such a variety of water. From deep, crystal clear lakes to mud holes only about 30' deep, so from the boat, the gear I take differs with the lake.

These are the ones I pick from, I usually take 6-8.
Baitcasters:

7' MH XF; 12lb FC; T-rigs, light jigs, and occasionally spinnerbaits.
7'3" MH F; 12lb FC; Trigged senkos, flukes, etc, and occasionally spinnerbaits.
7' M M; 12lb Mono; Shallow cranks.
7' H F; 30-40lb braid; jigs, big plastics, flipping/pitching, frogs.
7'6" MH F; 30-40lb braid or 17lb FC; flipping/pitching, big plastics, frogs, swimbaits.
6'6" MH F; 15-17lb FC or YZ Hyrbid; spinnerbaits.
7' M F; 30lb braid; t-rigs, shaky heads, wacky rig.

Spinning:

7'2" M XF; 10lb braid/6-8lb FC leader; Dropshot.
7' M F; 15lb braid/8lb FC leader; wacky rig, shaky head, VERY light jigs, weightless worms.

Bank fishing, I narrow it down to 2-4 of those rods. again depending on water clarity, amount of weeds, etc.

BB
Old 10-05-10, 02:17 PM   #4
MIbasser

Here is what my front deck typically looks like on any given day.... It'll have about 8 rods on it and if I'm fishing alone I'll have another 3 where the passenger sits....

But really it depends on what the fish want. If I have a pattern down I'll only need one or two rods. If not, I'll have 13-14 rods out.... I'll take it one step further and say if I am going for small mouth in the St. Clair River I'll only take 4 spinning rods but on the main lake I may have those 4 plus a couple of crankbait rods.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 02:36 PM   #5
lilmule

Alone I take about 10,keep about 6 on deck,if as a non boater(meaning someone elses boat) take 4 at the most 5.
With a non boater meaning two in the boat( my boat im driving), 6 all in all,4 on deck.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 07:03 PM   #6
keithdog

Have a 12 foot jonboat spo spacce is limited. That being said, I still cary between 8-9 outfits. It gets pretty crowded but I fish alone most of the time. I cut way back if I have company. It starts out with a 6'10" Heavy Fast pitchin rod and 7' MH Med action cranking rod down to my 6 1/2' Med power Med action rod for shallow cranks and some topwater baits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 07:43 PM   #7
HarveysMinnow

Dave,
About 3 weeks ago, I started a similar thread in the Techniques, Strategy, and Presentation Forum, entitled "Pick Four Please". Even though the limitations I set forth were unnecessarily fanciful, you might find some of the posted replies informative. I have not had time so far to compile the overall results, to see if there is any sort of 'average' view on this subject.

I decided beforehand that there was no way I would normally choose to lug more than four rod/reel combos on most of my fishing trips, and my plan is to build my own rod caddy which will hold four setups. I guess if I ever change my mind and want to carry more, I can build another caddy and have one for each hand. I do most of my fishing in small lakes and farm ponds, and only occasionally as someone's guest in their boat. In either case, I just don't see the need for having such a huge arsenal of stuff. Many of the techniques and strategies overlap to a large extent anyway, plus it's a rarity for me to fish more than 4 - 5 hours at a time and I tend to stick with one bait/technique longer than some, apparently.

I rarely go fishing without taking one fly rod, and that seems to place me into a rather select minority among Forum members. Other than that it depends on the body of water I'm going to fish in, but I usually take a bait caster, a UL spinning rig, and a spinning rig with braided line with 8# flouro leader.

/
Old 10-05-10, 08:04 PM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Too many...I have anywhere from 6-12 on deck most of the time.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 09:53 PM   #9
bamabassman

Hahaha camg..... I USED to have only 9 setups TOTAL. But now (bless you brother zooker), I have over 20. And yes they are all on my boat. Gonna go through em and keep the ones I really like and sell the others and give the money to mrs. dickerson. Just having a really hard time going through the stuff. So much and so little time.
Old 10-05-10, 10:50 PM   #10
Tavery5

I usually have about 6 on my boat at any given time.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 12:12 AM   #11
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Three on a two man bass hound, four or five on a big boy boat.

A spinner bait on a short rod w/baitcaster, a top water (buzzbait or popper) on longer rod with higher gear ratio baitcaster, a spinning set up for plastics - those are my three go to rods. 4th is another baitcaster with a crankbait tied on and 5th is an ultra light with another plastic.
Old 10-06-10, 12:33 AM   #12
bassboogieman

My bass rods stay in the boat at all times, so whatever I want will be there.
5 spinnning & 13 casting - ONE of them will be perfect for just about any bass lure I want to throw.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:34 AM   #13
walkeraviator

Stumble on this a while back somewhere thought I would share...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNM-l3CFxwI
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:28 AM   #14
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

2-6' baitcasters w/ 10lb hybrid
3-6'6" baitxasters w/ 12 & 15lb big game
1-7' baitcaster w/ 20lb big game
3-misc spinning rods w/ 20lb braid and 8 and 10lb flouro leaders
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 12:15 AM   #15
Bender

I keep a lot in the boat. By the end of the day there are usually 7-12 sitting out.

I've been doing a lot of shore fishing recently though since I've been away from home. I don't like to take more than 2 rods with me and a lot of times only as much tackle as I can put in my pockets. I move a lot and usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to use so it's not too hard to do. Pretty much always have a 7' MH casting rod and then usually a 6'10" spinning. Sometimes I will change the spinning rod for a 6'6" M casting so that I can throw topwaters too. The other have fluoro on them. From shore I prefer to travel light and move around. Many times I'll only take one rod.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 12:30 PM   #16
dave0943

I forgot one. I do keep a 7' heavy BC setup. I don't use the heavy as much as the MH. I try to keep qty. of rigs down because I hate to feel crowded. I'm looking into installing 6
rod upright tubes on the back of my console. These type of tubes you see quite a bit on salt water boats. Then I probably would carry a few rods with me. Walkeraviator, thanks for the video. That's pretty close to the system I use now. MIbasser, thanks for the pic. That's kinda like my boat deck looks like during tourneys.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 06:36 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I keep a lot in the boat. By the end of the day there are usually 7-12 sitting out.

I've been doing a lot of shore fishing recently though since I've been away from home. I don't like to take more than 2 rods with me and a lot of times only as much tackle as I can put in my pockets. I move a lot and usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to use so it's not too hard to do. Pretty much always have a 7' MH casting rod and then usually a 6'10" spinning. Sometimes I will change the spinning rod for a 6'6" M casting so that I can throw topwaters too. The other have fluoro on them. From shore I prefer to travel light and move around. Many times I'll only take one rod.
So there is no need to bring any gear when I come fishing with you then hahahaha.

I tend to take 4-5 rigs. And I usually end up using 2 of them here lately. I am usually using my 7' MH-F I built for worming, and my 7' M-F for cranking.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.