Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-12, 07:57 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Explain the cost to me

Where can a company justify a $15 spinning bait. Is there gold somewhere in it? I suppose if you can sell a plastic jerk shade for like two bucks a crack, why not?

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...BC%3BIK-114635
Old 03-01-12, 08:09 PM   #2
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ya for a spinnerbait those things are ridculously pricey.

Ive noticed spinnerbaits are expensive in general for what they are IMO.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 08:22 PM   #3
islandbass

Hey, you can bet there are going to be suckers who will buy it. The market is the place where it succeeds or flops. I have no issue if people are willing to buy it at that price, but I won't be in the set of folks who do.

Why? Because I suck with spinnerbaits! lol Ain't even caught a cold with them. You can also turn many jigs into spinnerbaits if you make a wire body.
Old 03-01-12, 09:28 PM   #4
Marty

They can justify it if people buy it. Fishermen are always desperate for more success and many of us think we can buy our way there.

Same reason infomercials succeed. Many people can't resist the allure of getting rich quick, losing weight fast, looking 20 years younger, catching loads of fish and so on and so forth.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 09:45 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I believe that particular lure is way over priced. Most spinnerbaits will run between 5-8$. Thats a fair price for a spinnerbait with quality materials. Some spinnerbaits are going to run a little more because they are using real gold and silver plated blades, some have titanium wire, And I believe at least one manufacturer is making spinnerbaits with tungstin heads instead of lead. But 15$, He** no. Lucky Craft spinnerbaits are unbelievably expensive too. Very well built they are indeed. But I wouldn't pay what they are asking either.
Old 03-02-12, 12:54 AM   #6
TN_Bassin

What I wouldn't give for terminator to start making the titainium wire tungsten head spinnerbait again.

The LC skeet reese spinnerbait is a good bait... I like the tungsten head it has
Old 03-02-12, 02:32 PM   #7
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sometimes it'sjust all in the name....
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 02:52 PM   #8
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Marty. I agree. Like those Oil of Olay adds. Do women really think it removes wrinkles, how gullible.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 04:57 PM   #9
bassinbob

A spinnerbait is one bait where I think a less costly one (Strike King, War Eagle, Booya) works just fine. Even though I've never purchased one of the more costly ones. The only way I'd buy one of those Sebiles is if they caught a fish almost every cast.
Old 03-02-12, 09:23 PM   #10
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
A spinnerbait is one bait where I think a less costly one (Strike King, War Eagle, Booya) works just fine. Even though I've never purchased one of the more costly ones. The only way I'd buy one of those Sebiles is if they caught a fish almost every cast.
I can tell you this. I have right around 2 bucks into the spinnerbaits I make.
The first ones I was making, I had $1.85 into them from start to finish.

They've always caught a ton of fish.
Hell, my 3rd biggest bass (PB at the time), was caught on $1.85 in parts, and put together while watching TV.

While I understand that the actual lure companies have extra $$$$ involved, between overhead, and paying the people (or machines) actually putting them together, advertising, and all that jazz, to charge this amount of money for a bait that produces no matter how much it sells for, or costs to make, is ridiculous.

I seriously doubt this bait will catch any more fish than the ones that I, Keith, or Walmart could sell you
Old 03-03-12, 07:59 AM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

$15 for a spinnerbaits seems high. I have not done this but I wonder what the materials would cost from a catalog like barlows tackle or jannsnetcraft for the most expensive wire, beads, hook,skrit and anything else I am leaving off. I bet it is more than we would think and I know you are thinking that it would not equal $15 and you are correct. The company has a lot of other expenses to pay for and those baits have to cover those cost also. Just some thoughts of mine as a business owner.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 09:08 PM   #12
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sebile puts a ton of effort into the development of his baits and has really unique designs in a business that seems to have very few original ideas anymore. I wouldn't spend $15 on a spinnerbait but I'm guessing that's why they charge that much.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 09:42 PM   #13
Tavery5

First off let me say that I too believe that $15 is too much money for a spinnerbait.

But I started thinking about it like this, if I wanted to fish a weighted worm what would it take in a dollar and cents type approach if I did not own any of the necessary terminal tackle to do it correctly.

Hooks , I would use an EWG style hook probably a 4/0 gammy at about $4 a pack
Weight, I would use a 3/16th oz tungsten weight at about $6 a pack
Pegs, I like to use the bass pro pegs and they are about $2
Worms, there are many on the market so lets just go with a good easy number like $5 a bag.
So in my example you would have about $17 dollars invested to fish these worms with the terminal tackle I like to use.

Yes you would have hooks, weights, pegs and even extra baits to fish for quite a while and even use for other techniques, but how long does a good quality spinnerbait last?

Not saying this is right or wrong just throwing another way of looking at it out there.
Old 03-04-12, 12:21 AM   #14
joedog

Thanks for the great input!
I too understand business expenses and the what it takes to recoup much less make a profit . Very strong pro. I definitly not only respect but thank those willing to take the great risk of self employment. I also respect those who halve to work for the dream to materialize. So thanks to all.
Research........it's a spinning bait!?! If you can show me the man hours, I'm a believer!
Got a hunch that research was done but remember the size of this company. 'Discoveries' are shared amongst each other and used for different or multiple projects. I'm having difficult seeing the 'Brass' sit down at Monday mornings brain storming session and someone say, "Here's an idea, lets spend a large amount of money on researching to see if we can't make a better average selling $4 bait."
I guess maybe if the company accountant pitched in the cost profit margin on a $15 spinning bait? And the marketing dept. pitched in that they could market anything with a SEBILE name on it! Again I'm a believer!
Materials are expensive and the knowledge and ability to constructively use them doesn't come free! (For ME it doesn't come at all) But once put into mass assembly the costs dramatically decrease!

I do want to stress that there isn't ONE post here that I disagree with. I'm just sharing my crazy thoughts that came do to your great input.
Thanks again and please keep ideas coming!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.