Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-12, 07:31 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kvd 1.5

While crashing this plug through a shallow stumpfield (it's strong suite?) Thurs. the lip split right down the center. It's only got 15-20 hours on it and I didn't mis-treat it. Is this just a fluke or have you guys experienced this as well? Never had a Shad Rap or Fat Free Shad or a Bagley do it.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]7667
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	busted 1.5.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	7667  
Old 03-03-12, 07:58 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Dang, that's ugly. I thought those bills were one piece but that looks like a split seam. I only have a couple of them and only one has seen water so far, but I don't think I'll purchase more.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 08:15 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a few of those and never experienced any problems at all. I've had a couple Rapala Shad Raps have the body seperate from the lip on the cast though.

Last edited by keithdog; 03-04-12 at 10:33 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 08:44 PM   #4
Marty

Never used one. But I'd try to get a replacement from the company, something I've done on a number of occasions, but not with that company. The cost of postage to return it is very low compared to the cost of a new lure.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 09:05 PM   #5
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've got several KVD cranks and I do abuse them and haven't had a problem with them. I'd rather break one of them than a Little John or LC crank so they get tossed in the nasty places. You might try to contact Strike King, I've heard from guys who have sent in swollen up RES and got back new baits, hats, decals, stickers. Seems they do a good job trying to take care of their customers. For the price of one of their cranks I think I'd just buy another though.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 09:11 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

@keith Yea I used to have a bad habit of slapping a Shad Rap against the water to de-muck it and after lifting nothing back but the lip a couple of times I kicked the habit
@bb86 I'll just salvage the hooks and use it for a practice plug if epoxy repairs render it useless. I was just wondering about trends...@5.99 they're borderline disposable anyway.
Old 03-03-12, 10:40 PM   #7
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have quite a few and haven't broke one yet. Hopefully just a freak thing.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 11:07 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd say it's a freak thing. If you had broke the bill of a Rapala DT, that might be a different story.

BB
Old 03-03-12, 11:21 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I would just call it one of those things Ken. We all get a lemon from time to time. I have heard about H20s splitting too. An email to SK with a pic might get you a replacement though and a few customer appreciation items.
Old 03-04-12, 12:14 AM   #10
basstech

Nope, It's not a freak thing. Have been fishing these baits since they came out in the early mid-90's. Lips are the weak point on strike king and I've replaced more than a few. When you bang them into enough cover, eventually the lip is going to break, sometimes it splits, many times the whole lip and part of the face come off. They are tools and they do catch fish, you can expect to go through a few. As for the bagleys and the shad raps, those lips don't have a seem in the middle, they come out of a one piece mold and are epoxied into the carved lipslot on the bait. I've had a few of those lips break and a few just pull out, but admitedly the baits are pretty old by then.
Although Strike Kings are weak in some respects, they still produce and I still prefer them way over bandits, despite the higher price. Just make sure when you buy one, ya buy three, cause one rarely last a season if the bite is hot on them.
Old 03-04-12, 11:48 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

I fish the KVD crankbaits a lot and I have yet to have a problem with them, other than I did have one that would fill up with water. I think stuff like that is just one of those rare things that you will run into with crankbaits. I have had lips break on several different brands of crankbaits including Rapala, in fact it was getting to be a common problem with Rapala so I pretty much stopped using their crankbaits.
Old 03-04-12, 02:02 PM   #12
Bassboss

Got a few this winter.. hopefully I don't see this happening with mine. I don't fish allot of stumps, but rocks are a pretty common occurrence.

But you're the first person I've heard of who's broke the bills on one of these... they're pretty tough to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
Nope, It's not a freak thing. Have been fishing these baits since they came out in the early mid-90's. Lips are the weak point on strike king and I've replaced more than a few. When you bang them into enough cover, eventually the lip is going to break, sometimes it splits, many times the whole lip and part of the face come off. They are tools and they do catch fish, you can expect to go through a few. As for the bagleys and the shad raps, those lips don't have a seem in the middle, they come out of a one piece mold and are epoxied into the carved lipslot on the bait. I've had a few of those lips break and a few just pull out, but admitedly the baits are pretty old by then.
Although Strike Kings are weak in some respects, they still produce and I still prefer them way over bandits, despite the higher price. Just make sure when you buy one, ya buy three, cause one rarely last a season if the bite is hot on them.
These baits came out less then five years ago... don't think you were fishing them in the mid-90's.
Old 03-06-12, 11:08 AM   #13
basstech

Didn't realize the KVD 1.5 and 2.5 were different baits than the Strike King series 1 and 2's. Just thought it was a "Improved" version of those. Just saw an add for them and realized they are a "brand new" bait, even though they look almost identical to the series 1 and 2's, just figured it was more marketing B.S. Haven't compared them side by side so maybe they are different. None the less, it being a Strike King, I'm not surprised based on the experience I've had with their cranks in general over the last 15 to 17 years.
Old 03-06-12, 08:40 PM   #14
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had 3 Bandit crankbait bills snap when deflecting them off dock pilings but I've never experienced it with Strike King.
Old 03-07-12, 03:29 PM   #15
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default User error

I too have quite a few of these and never had an issue with them. Either user error or just a bad one. It is plastic mold could always be a bad one here and there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Got a few this winter.. hopefully I don't see this happening with mine. I don't fish allot of stumps, but rocks are a pretty common occurrence.

But you're the first person I've heard of who's broke the bills on one of these... they're pretty tough to my knowledge.

These baits came out less then five years ago... don't think you were fishing them in the mid-90's.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.