Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-08, 11:31 PM   #1
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman
Default Getting on plane question

Ok here is my problem.When ever me and another adult is in my boat and we are sitting side by side.My boat will not get on plain at all.But if the passenger goes to the front it will level out.My question is does anyone have any tips to help me with this problem.I have a 50 hp yamaha motor.Also when i try and give some trim to make it level out.The trim will just fall back down.Here is a pic of my boat maybe this will help answering my question

skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 11:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Skeeter, when you say the trim falls back down do you mean it won't stay where you set it? I'm making the assumption you have power tilt and trim based on the picture. If that is the case you might have a problem with the trim-there is a screw that releases the trim manually-that might need to be tightened. If that is working OK when you hammer down trim it up at the same time until it is about halfway up. That ought to get you up on the plane.
Old 04-17-08, 01:20 AM   #3
skeeterman

Once im moving i can trim good.But on take off with two adults it doesn't want to trim and stay put.Its like its to much weight or something and its forced back down
Old 04-17-08, 05:58 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok skeeterman I need some info before I can give you any advice at all. What is the maximum rated hp for your boat?? Where is the motoer bolted up on the transom?? What I am asking here is how many holes are open below the bolts? I also saw a aluminum propellar on your boat ........is this correct?? Are you trimming all the way under when you try and take off?? Answer these bud and I will be able to help you out.
Old 04-17-08, 09:23 AM   #5
skeeterman

The maximum rated hp is 80hp.Yes i have a aluminum prop.When taking off i trim about half the way up.There are three holes below the bolt.
Old 04-17-08, 10:07 AM   #6
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Aha!! I'm not an engine guru by any means, but I've driven boats since I was 12 and I am pretty sure that your problem is your trim...you gotta drop it all the way down on take off until your boat planes out...having that engine trimmed at take off or slower speeds will only force the bow up....unless I'm missing something this should solve the problem
Old 04-17-08, 02:53 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I'm with Jason-start with the engine trimmed all the way down and trim it up as you accelerate. That might do the trick.
Old 04-17-08, 04:57 PM   #8
zooker

i don't have a foil on mine but a worked ss prop is needed.. i rarely have problems gettin on plane -unless i am tottin lizzy's tackle bag-

skeeter
what size and pitch is that tin wheel??

zooker
Old 04-17-08, 05:00 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

How long is that boat? It looks shorter...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 10:53 PM   #10
skeeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

skeeter
what size and pitch is that tin wheel??

zooker
I bought the boat with it on there. I have no idea what the pitch is or how to find out
Old 04-17-08, 10:54 PM   #11
skeeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
How long is that boat? It looks shorter...

-Buzz
Its 15' 3" long
Old 04-17-08, 11:25 PM   #12
boater

That motor should get a 15 foot boat on plane the motor needs to be trimmed down for take off this lifts the back of the boat and keeps the bow down.I like alot of HP but if set up right and trimmed under it should get you out of the hole.and you stated it did if the other person stood up front or leaned so it appears ti be the trim setting in my opinion, you should not trim up till on plane.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 11:49 PM   #13
skeeterman

I have also tried taking off with the motor trimmed all the way down.And im getting the same results Do you think it could be my prop?
Old 04-18-08, 12:32 AM   #14
Bender

I don't like to cross link, but check this out and see where your motor is set: http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=65514
Also wondering if the 50 is running in tip top shape?
Also the pitch and diameter should be marked on the prop near the hub like the numbers in the middle:
(got caught hotlinking an image, there are numbers near where the nut holds the prop on)
Do you know what your top speed is after you get on plane?

Last edited by Bender; 04-18-08 at 10:23 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 06:25 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Thankls bender. I have tried and tried to explain to people how to measure shaft distance and that just makes it so much easier.

Skeeterman you may have a couple of problems its hard to say being here and you there. Yes I do need to know the diameter and pitch of the prop. Just as I thought you are set way to deep from the factory as well but until we get the boat getting on plane easier we will address that when the time comes. You are just a bit on the small side of the hp for that boat so you arent gonna never be able to pop up to people real easy. Its just not physically capable of doing it but you can plane out somewhat easier. Get me the prop size and then we will get started. Make sure that no matter if there is just you are 2 peopl in that boat that you always trim under COMPLETELY when getting on plane. That pressure excerted on the whole assenmble but even more so on the trim cylinders is unreal. Not only will the boat get on plane easier you will take some of the stress of the cylinders. They are designed to handle this but conmsitently hammering on them when not completely trimmed under will cause early failuer. Remeber they are designed to trim up under way. Think of it this way Not only are you trying to lift a boat that is heavy you are trying to get one moving that is dead stopped and over compng that extra force.
Old 04-18-08, 09:43 AM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

Could be many factors. 1. Your Driving style. 2. Conditions on waetrdetermine how early or how late your up or down. That again driving style. How well you react to the conditions.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 11:07 AM   #17
flbassman

I thought this was some kind of terrorist question.......

Have you tried just weighting down the back? I'm not much of a plane expert, we've always owned slow, leaky, POS boats
Old 04-22-08, 06:52 PM   #18
zooker

skeeter
remove the prop it will have numbers on the hub where the spline shaft goes thru.. inside or out side.. i run a worked 10.25x14p ss and a 10.5x14p ss but still have a 10x13p tin wheel..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.