Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-08, 11:26 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Cleaning Reels.

Alright guys, since Cabin Fever is upon us northerners. I though it could be a good idea to go over cleaning reels for all the newer guys.

Since This'll be the first year I'll be cleaning any expensive reels, I'm looking for a little advice too.

Last year I just used water and a toothbrush to clean the outside of my reel, and I didn't really get to the inside of it to clean and lube. And most of our good bass reels are fairly dirty from our last few trips to Lake Hudson which had a wonderful green slime on the top of the coffee colored water.

So, how do you guys clean your reels inside and out. Be as specific as possible. For lubing the reels, you guys prefer oil or grease?

BB
Old 12-30-08, 12:54 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB....I take coffee cans and fill them with hot water and some simple green. As I take each rod apart I place the components in the coffee can.
I put the screws on to a piece of two sided tape that I have labeled. After I let the bigger pieces set for an hour or so, I take them out and clean with a tooth brush (you way south guys might want to google what that is...LMAO) and Q-tips.
Before I apply any oil or greese, I will use my aircompressor to to finish drying out any of the tight spots.
I use both oil and greese depending on what the manual calls for.
Old 12-30-08, 02:12 PM   #3
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Spinning reels.

Disassemble completely.

Lay out old towel and pay close attention when you take a part off on its direction. Remove handle, spool, bail assembly, then open up the body. Remove as much as you can.

Wash each part in denatured alcohol. Use gun swabs that dont leave lint behind and plenty of alcohol to clean inside of body.

Assemble. Then very lightly oil all moving parts and grease gears.

Tips. Having two of the same reels helps find where those extra leftover parts go. Have a schematic. The net is a good place to find one if you dont have one from the origional purchase. Work slow.

Note. If you find corrosion on the bearings, either a) buy a new reel or b) order new bearinga and replance.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 05:02 PM   #4
zooker

i drive to daddy rabbit's-in lexington- tell sam whats aling them. and in two weeks i get them back cleaned,lubed and fixed-if needed-$9.50 each for cleaning slightly more for repair.

zooker
Old 12-30-08, 05:16 PM   #5
JB

i gotta agree if there is a really good bass tackle shop with a repair guy use them on some reels that have an issue.
I use my schematics and disassemble the baitcasters and lay the parts out exactly as I take them apart, then clean an lube..I use sewing maching oil .....I learned the hard way not to take one apart after a few beers and no schematics or laying them out right...
Back off the drag after you work on them and then let them set that way until the next time you can fish, set the drag up that day.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 02:12 AM   #6
islandbass

Go to Shimano's site and click on the maintenance link. You will see their pdf tutorials on how to clean spinning and casting reels. Even if you don't have shimanos, you can parallel the steps. This is for standard maintenance. Complete overhauling is beyond my scope of knowledge.
Old 12-31-08, 08:59 AM   #7
Jackl

GUYS,
You can go to www.heartlandtackleservice.com/articles.htm for instructions on reel cleaning, or you can send them to Armadillo Rod and Reel repair in Yantis, TX www.armadillorodandreelrepair.com Joe will do you a good job, and can install ceramic bearings if so desired.
JackL
Old 12-31-08, 05:26 PM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Over the last few years I've been doing my own winter cleaning and lube/oil work on all my reels. Reels that need repairs are sent out to a repair service. The best advice I can give you is to start with the basics, and gradually build up your expertise before tackling a complete tear down and over haul. The odds of getting everything right the 1st time isn't so great.
Old 01-04-09, 10:13 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I clean them with Simple Green-best cleaner I have found. Put the bearings in lighter fluid and let them soak a little to dissolve the grease-they come packed with grease from the factory-then dry and oil them.

I use an old cake pan to disassemble the reel in-keeps all the parts together.

Take the parts off and lay them out in order, then reassemble them the same way. Keep the schematics handy, but it isn't difficult.
Old 01-05-09, 09:36 AM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

One really easy option to having to use the schematics as your only resource to proper assembly, since some can be difficult due to small print. I use my digital camera on a tripod set to macro. I can easily focus down to 5 inches. I take digitals of any assembles, sub assembles, etc. Then transfer them to my PC. Since I do my reel tune ups on my computer desk, it's a no brainer.
Old 01-05-09, 11:44 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That is a really good idea, and you are right, the schematics can be hard to read sometimes.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.