Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-09, 07:02 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Okay, I’ve been doing the shoestring knots…

Okay, I’ve been doing the shoestring knots…

So tell me, what kind of knots do you guys use? I’ve started messing with the clinch knot lately but I don’t know if it’s much better than my kinder-garden knots I’ve always tied. But now that I plan on going after bigger fish I figured I'd research some different knots. I’ve seen so many when doing searches on fishing knots, but some of them seem like you need a degree in physics to tie them. I’m kind of amazed that there isn’t more talk about knots when it comes to fishing. You always here about fishing reels/rods, fishing line types, the different kind of baits and lures, but little talk about knots. It’s surprising because the knot has to be the most important element as it is the direct connection between the angler and the fish.

And speaking of fishing lines, what the h3ll? Monofilament, fluorocarbon, braid, 14lb test with 3lb diameter, yadayadayada…
I think I’ve either started to dig too deep into this fishing gear and equipment thing or I’ve been mighty lucky catching fish just using the line that came with my reel. But the good news is that I should have all this stuff figured out by the time the water melts and it’s time to start swangin the rod.

Last edited by fish4942; 01-20-09 at 10:17 AM.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 07:12 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check out the sticky kevin has on know tieing buddy. taught me alot. me mostly the rapala knot and palomar. line, hahahahaha ll kinds depending on what rod, reel and lure i use.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 07:12 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Okay, I’ve been doing the shoestring knots…

So tell me, what kind of knots do you guys use? I’ve started messing with the clinch knot lately but I don’t know if it’s much better than my kinder-garden knots I’ve always tied. But now that I plan onI’ve seen so many when doing searches on fishing knots, but some of them seem like you need a degree in physics to tie them. I’m kind of amazed that there isn’t more talk about knots when it comes to fishing. You always here about fishing reels/rods, fishing line types, the different kind of baits and lures, but little talk about knots. It’s surprising because the knot has to be the most important element as it is the direct connection between the angler and the fish.

And speaking of fishing lines, what the h3ll? Monofilament, fluorocarbon, braid, 14lb test with 3lb diameter, yadayadayada…
I think I’ve either started to dig too deep into this fishing gear and equipment thing or I’ve been mighty lucky catching fish just using the line that came with my reel. But the good news is that I should have all this stuff figured out by the time the water melts and it’s time to start swangin the rod.
Boy, where to start...

First, your "shoe string" knot is not going to hold up. It keeps your shoes on, but tying fishing line is a lot different. That knot may cause a kink in the line, which will weaken it, plus the knot itself is not reliable at all.

You need a few basic fishing knots to start with. The palomar knot and the improved clinch knot are two good ones. Both are reliable, and are designed to be tied with fishing line. Go to http://www.animatedknots.com, an extensive knot website. Look up these two knots and learn to tie them well. It might make the difference in landing that big fish or not.

Different kinds of line are used for different things. Kevin has a line guide posted at the top of this page you ought to check out. It will answer a lot of questions that you may have.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 07:18 PM   #4
bamabassman

i also use the inproved cinch knot too.
Old 01-19-09, 08:12 PM   #5
abu4600

just learn the improved clinch and palomar. they are easy to tie and have a high breaking strength.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 08:37 PM   #6
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

all i use is the improved clinch, but im going to try to learnhow to do the polomar, the site Mississippi boy put on is where i learned all of the 2 knots i know how to tie, going to use it to learn the polomar
Old 01-20-09, 05:01 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

iuse the Imrpoved clinch knot for most mono and fluoro because it's strong and very easy to tie. For braid, although I have a hard time with it, I use the palomar knot. I know guys that can tie it in a fraction of a second with their eyes closed, but I can never seem to get it quickly. For line to line, I use the Albright Special, but I'm going to look into some different knots this season for that, maybe one that's easier to tie.

BB
Old 01-20-09, 05:17 PM   #8
WTL

If you can tie your shoes you can do a clinch or palamar. Its the same principle.

The only knot I have trouble tying is the nail knot for flyline to leader. Talk about difficult.
Old 01-20-09, 05:20 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

WTL orvis has a device they sell that makes that a real simple knot to tie.
Old 01-20-09, 08:29 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

if its monocarbon you cant beat the good old palomar
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 09:14 PM   #11
rangerryan

the palomar knot and the improved clinch knot are about all you need to know for now. and there are videos all over the web to show you how.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 12:06 AM   #12
Rebbasser

Agree with the palomar, not so the cinch knot-there I prefer the Trilene knot. Identical to the cinch knot except you run the line through the eye twice.
Old 01-24-09, 11:06 PM   #13
Jigskipper
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned the "double improved" clinch knot. I swear by it. A lot of jig fishermen I know use it. It will take a lot of shock because the extra line acts as a cushion. I use 4 wraps. Some use 4 to 6 wraps depending on line strength. The lighter the line, the more wraps. I still use 4 regardless and haven't had any problems. If it doesn't draw up correctly, just re-tie it until you get it right. I use it pretty much for everything I do. Check it out here...

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_knots.html
Jigskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 07:13 AM   #14
WTL

Lilmoose, I have the very tool and still have a little trouble with the knot. Need to spend more time with it mainly.
Old 01-25-09, 09:07 AM   #15
crankybait

I use palomar 95% of the time
Old 01-25-09, 10:31 AM   #16
bamabassman

after watching the vids on the DOUBLE PALOMAR, that is the knot i will be using now.
Old 01-25-09, 12:55 PM   #17
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
after watching the vids on the DOUBLE PALOMAR, that is the knot i will be using now.

that was a handy bit of info there on the video, so easy to tie the double palomar knot, its in my arsenal now for braid thats fer sure
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:35 AM   #18
carolina-rig-01

the palamor knot is what i tie most, it's a very good knot and isn't too hard to tie. as for line, just do a good search on here and you should find a lot of good information on everyones opinions on line and what situations each line is best for. there have been several post recently and a whole lot in the past where different types of lines have been explained so i would think that could cut down on the confusion for you. i am sure it can be overwhelming but don't let it freak you out, once you get a basic understanding of the different types of line then it will start making a whole lot more sense.

here is a good start:

mono- mono is a pretty descent choice for an all around line. it floats which makes it good for topwater. it comes in a lot of different colors to match water clarity, and it has the most stretch which some guys like for crankbaits to help keep fish from pulling off. the down side is that the stretch can become a problem when setting the hook on baits like jigs and plastic worms.

flouro- flouro is becoming very popular with a lot of guys. it is dang near invisible underwater so it is very popular in clear water. flouro also has near zero stretch which is good for baits where you need to set the hook hard like jigs. it sinks and has a smaller diameter per lb of strength than mono so crankbaits will dive a little deeper than with mono, but the lack of stretch can cause some crankbait fish to come unbuttoned if you aren't careful. also because it sinks it is a poor choice of line for topwater baits because it will kill the action of the bait.

braid- braid is a great line for flipping and pitching, especially in colored water because it is very tough and has even less stretch than flourocarbon. some believe that fish can see it in clear water and some say it doesn't bother the fish at all but if you think it makes a difference you can use a leader from mono or flouro line. the no strecth of braid makes solid hooksets a lot easier to achieve but be aware that setting the hook too hard can rip the bait our of a fishes mouth or straighten your hook. braid is also very popular for topwater frogs, in fact it is pretty much the stuff to have on a frog rod.

that is pretty much a starting point for you but there is more to it if you choose to dig deeper. basically i recommend you choose which line fits your needs the best based on this and then go buy a good quality line. there are a ton of different brands to choose from, most are good and some are not worth the powder it would take to blow them up. i am sure that between all of us on here most all brands have been tried at one time or another and someone can give you an honest opinion on whatever line you might choose so don't be affraid to ask. i hope this helps.

kory

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.