Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-08, 05:40 PM   #1
Ifish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pond question

Hello all I just signed up to this forum earlier today to see if you guys could potentially help me out. I'm not really new to bass fishing, but I didn't know where to post this. Anyways here is my dilemma. I just recently moved and my house is on a small pond, id say about 1.5 acre pond. I live in south Florida and my house is relatively close to the everglades so I dont think bass fishing should be much of a problem. So when i first moved in i experimented and tried some bass fishing. I didnt catch anything not even a nibble. I did see some bluegill and I caught a few of those for some bait, and caught a few catfish. I notice there is alot of catfish, but i have yet to even see a bass. I tried a few more times with vaious teqniques, but still failed to catch a bass. I gave up for a while, but eventually I just recently went to try again and I noticed that all the bluegill were gone and still no bass. Theres not a bluegill or bass in sight, I still se catfish though. Anyways I was really excited to move on a pond, but i have been very dissapointed and cant catch anything but catfish, not even bluegill anymore. What is wrong with this pond? Where did all the fish go? The pond very little structures if any, and it is connected to other ponds in the area that do have fish. I know this post is long but to whom ever took the time to read it thank you and all comments are greatly appreciated.
Ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 06:26 PM   #2
Earl Marshall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Are you sure that the pond has been stocked with Bass. Maybe they used it for a catfish pond thats my 2 cents.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 06:30 PM   #3
Ifish
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess thats possible, but i just thought if theres catfish and bluegill there must be bass especially in a south Florida pond that is connected to other ponds with bass in it. Thanks for the response
Old 12-12-08, 07:06 PM   #4
C BASS
BassFishin.Com Member

is your pond one of the smallest that are connected?
C BASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 07:08 PM   #5
Ifish
BassFishin.Com Member

I havent seen all of them, but there is one really big pond almost like a lake and about 4 or 5 small ponds probably all about the same size as mine.
Old 12-12-08, 07:22 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

first oif all welcome to the site friend. this is without a doubt the best site on fishin....period!

now, as for the bass population, is YOUR pond truly connected to the other ponds? or is it just next to the others? if it ain't got water that joins the others, you may just have a catfish pond pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 07:39 PM   #7
Ifish
BassFishin.Com Member

Im pretty sure it is connected through some sort of sewer system because in the mornings the water seems to all flow in one directions like through a drain and there has been alligators in this pond before that have gotten in through the sewer system I think. So basically is there just no bass in this pond? Should I add structure because there is none what so ever?
Old 12-12-08, 07:55 PM   #8
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yuo could try to catch some out of the other ponds and transplant them into yours , it would take a while to establish a thriving bass population but it would be worth the time Imo you could add structure after you start stocking it .

Jim

And welcome to the man , jump right in and make yourself comfy .
Old 12-12-08, 08:23 PM   #9
woody

Sure wish I had that sort of dilemma, anyways have you caught bass in any of the connector ponds, that would tell ya if they are around or not. Your pond might not yet be a good habitat for bass. Unfortunately I'm not much on marine biology but I bet you'll find the answers your looking for and maybe soon the bass. I'm glad you joined us.~woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 08:29 PM   #10
Ifish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you guys for all your time and responses this is great. I haven't actually tried fishing in the connector ponds but i know people who have and have told me they caught bass. I have also walked by the other ponds and have seen bass first hand, so mayby ill try to fish there and transplant? Keep the opinions coming guys there really helping thanks.
Old 12-19-08, 09:34 AM   #11
BassinBandit

Something else you might want to think about is clearing out some catfish if there are a lot because if the panfish are gone and you add smaller bass the catfish might have bigger dinner and no more bass for you to catch. Also You can purchase bass to to help get started.
Old 01-20-09, 08:38 PM   #12
aikenyounggun

Um how much did you actually fish it? everone acting like there are no bass, and that may be true but i have a hard time believing that in florida. First thing to throw is go get a finesse worm and wacky rig it on a small hook (2ot) and go out and REALLY see if there are no bass.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 09:12 PM   #13
rangerryan

is it a sewer lagoon?
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.