Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-08, 10:25 AM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My drag also varied when using braid, I set it in the middle for things like spinnerbait (I use braid in really muddy water for them), but I lock it down for worms and jigs and stuff.

BB
Old 12-25-08, 10:34 AM   #27
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
My drag also varied when using braid, I set it in the middle for things like spinnerbait (I use braid in really muddy water for them), but I lock it down for worms and jigs and stuff.

BB
Be careful about locking down your drag using braid. No stretch, no give, and short distance to fish if you're pitching or flipping. It's real easy to rip the hook right out of the Basses mouth. A little "give" with your drag will go a long ways to boating those big pigs.
Old 12-26-08, 06:16 PM   #28
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have so far used stren microfuse,fireline crystal, and some kind of p-line and hated it but i have yet to have problems with the microfuse and crystal and fish either din't care about the line or don't see it because i fish in lakes where you can see at least 5 ft. down and i have actually caght more fish since switching to braid
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 01:16 AM   #29
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Be careful about locking down your drag using braid. No stretch, no give, and short distance to fish if you're pitching or flipping. It's real easy to rip the hook right out of the Basses mouth. A little "give" with your drag will go a long ways to boating those big pigs.
I would worry about that, but it's not very likely to catch a big pig up here. a 5lber is a big fish for us. And my PB is only 3.3lb.

BB
Old 12-27-08, 02:54 PM   #30
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I would worry about that, but it's not very likely to catch a big pig up here. a 5lber is a big fish for us. And my PB is only 3.3lb.

BB
Just make sure that you have some "give" in your drag, and you don't need one of those monster hooksets. A sharp hook with penetrate the jaw bone just fine with a firm hookset.

You never know how big or small that Bass is. Who knows, you just may hook their grandma out there.
Old 12-27-08, 06:14 PM   #31
bassin VT
BassFishin.Com Member

I really Like the stren Sonic Or Super Braid.
Old 12-28-08, 11:00 AM   #32
BigBassin144

Joel, that's true. I know there are a few big u'n up here, my dad lost a 6lber last spring.

I've felt the Stren braid at the store and to me, it feels WAY to rough. That's one reason I like Sufix so much, because like they say on their commercial it actually is the smoothest braid I've ever used.

BB
Old 12-28-08, 11:00 AM   #33
BigBassin144

To add to what their commercial said, I only bought it the first time because they said they'd give you your money back if you didn't like it.

BB
Old 12-30-08, 10:12 PM   #34
Bass Fishin Machine
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenston View Post
I am about to switch a couple of my rods over to braid and was wandering what the best braid was to use??
From my past experiences I prefer to use Power Pro and Ripcord from Cabelas. But First and Foremost you will need to Experiment a bit on the Reel that you will be using your Braid on... Some reels will Wrap the Braid Differently than others and could lead to more Bird Nests with a reel that does not wrap it well... I prefer a reel with a Cross-Weave Line Wrap on the retrieve,I have found that they will wrap the Braid the tightest and most correct out of all the reels I have used. I have found that Most Mitchell and Quantum Reels seemed to work the Best for wrapping the Braid on the spool. But I will also state that I use about 30 yards or so of Monafilament underneath my Braid. The Reason is the Braid is Quite Expensive and if you have the MonO backer the Braid will not spin on the Spool like it has for me in the past under stress or fighting a big fish per say... Just some trial & error things I have learned over the years trying out different things... Good Luck on Your Braid Decision. But choose what You feel confident in using... B.F.M.

Last edited by Bass Fishin Machine; 12-30-08 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Bass Fishin Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.