Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-08, 05:24 PM   #1
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

Post jigs

what tyes of jigs do everyone use? and for what type of conditions just wanted to get everyones opinion on them.
Old 12-31-08, 08:32 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i only use 2 styles of jigs:

football jig- when i started my jig company it was based on this style and for a good reason. the football head is a good choice for about anything except grass and very thick brush. this jig really shines when used around rock. but i use it in deep brush piles and docks as well. very good all around jig. i mainly use 3/8oz or 1/2oz but will throw a 3/4oz when water depth or wind calls for a heavier jig.

roundhead finesse jig- these jigs really do a great job of getting bites, i will get a lot more bites on a jig with a finesse skirt (including football heads) than a full skirt. this little jig is great around docks and comes through brush pretty well. there are a lot of different trailers that are great on these jigs. from beavers to chunks, and from baby brush hogs to salt craws you can really use your imagination. i mainly use 5/16oz in a roundhead finesse jig but will go down to 3/16oz from time to time.

a lot of people let fall rate determine what size of jig they use, while the weight of jig does directly effect the fall rate there are other factors that can play a major role as well and by modifying these you can still accomplish a desired fall rate and use a different jig weight than most other guys........at least within reason. when i want a slower fall rate i leave my skirts full and use bulkier trailers, for a faster fall rate i slim down my trailers and trim some strands out of my skirts. some guys swear by rattles, others say they make no difference so form your own opinion on them. i personally think that rattles won't hurt anything except for maybe in clear water they may do more harm than good. i really hope this helps.
Old 12-31-08, 08:48 PM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My personal preference is a 1/2 oz weed jig and a 1/2 oz football jig with trailers. The only two colors I really use are Blue/black with a matching trailer, and Green/Black with a matching trailer. Most of my jigs have rattles. Do the rattle help? Well, they don't hurt.
Old 12-31-08, 09:33 PM   #4
zooker

i use 2 kinds flippin and football head.. most of my jig fish are caught on 1/4 oz jigs.. even in fairly deep -14-18- feet of water..

zooker
Old 12-31-08, 09:48 PM   #5
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i use 2 kinds flippin and football head.. most of my jig fish are caught on 1/4 oz jigs.. even in fairly deep -14-18- feet of water..

zooker
I pitch my 1/2 oz weed jigs into just about any cover including some nasty laydowns. I'm surprised that you would use a jig that lite for those depths. Then again, given the option I rather pitch a 1/2 bullet wt'd tex-posed Ugly Otter over a jig, but not into laydowns. The jig just seems to be a much better presentation in and around wood.
Old 12-31-08, 10:49 PM   #6
ky southern

i also use the 1/4 ounce jigs,i will use a 1/2 once in the summer some when the fish are more active but like the slow fall when the fish are slow.i fished all day yesterday with 3 rods on deck,a bandit crank and 2 thunderstruck jigs,a black and blue with net bait paca chunk trailer in black and blue,and a p and j jig with a p and j net bait trailer.i mite add i cant say enough about the jigs cory is making with his thunderstruck company,i was a war eagle user before but corys jigs are better quality,and i really like the 80 strand skirt.i did trim the black and blue one some after a few cast to get a little faster fall as cory recommended as i was fishing bout 30 ft deep,but had a great bottom feel.i wish i could post a pic of a big lunker but it was just a bad bite day,wind blowing like crazy with waves 2 to 3 footers.i was casting and flipping the footbal jig and i feel the lack of bite was not the bait.

check em out at thunderstruck jigs .com.
Old 01-01-09, 07:34 PM   #7
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here's where I get my jigs from :
http://www.conquistadortackle.com/Co...ngJigPage.html

I like the stainless steel wire , the skirt does NOT move. Also , and most importantly the hand poured jig trailers match the jig skirt PERFECTLY !!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 07:50 PM   #8
bamabassman

i have some WONDERFUL jigs from c-rig. haven't had a chance to use em yet. but i am hopeful that i can before the thaw. i am praticing my pitching right now. would hate to try to use em and lose em,lmao. waiting for the grass to die off a little more around the boathouses as well. it oesn't seem to want to die off like it did last winter. but i AM gonna use em before spring. i think after reading and watching kevins vids that this is the best chance of me getting that 10 plus pounder. gonna use em with and without a trailer.... see which produses best for me. i am thinking of adding a brush hog trailer first. heard HERE that this is an outstanding set up.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 09:34 PM   #9
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihnclb22 View Post
what tyes of jigs do everyone use? and for what type of conditions just wanted to get everyones opinion on them.
Jeepers cats, you aren't asking for much, are you ? The possibilities are endless without getting into daily conditions or fish activity levels.

I will also add that 80% of my fish caught on jigs are from a reaction bite, therefore a 1/2 oz. jig or heavier is what I normally throw for water less than 7 ft. deep.

For fishing jigs in water that I am to lazy to rig up a plastic lure to fish. I use a 3/8 oz. or lighter weighted jig.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 10:40 PM   #10
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All ya'll sound confident on these jigs so i will give the jig some time tommorow but will probably be cranking points and drops.If the weather gets into the high 70's i may hit some deeper docks with the jig..I like reading the tips on jigs.Not tying to hijack your thread but it is a good one.thanks
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 10:55 PM   #11
abu4600

The waters i fish are mostly shallow lakes with stained water no deeper than about 8 or 9 feet deep. I like the 3/16 and 5/16 booyah baby boo jig blk/blue with a blk/neon baby brush hog trailer or either a XPS twin tail grub in blk/neon. I catch more bass on these jigs than any ive ever used.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 08:44 AM   #12
Jackl

Not to take away from Kory's jigs, (I have not tried them yet) but I always used Penetrator jigs, built by a friend/guide on Lake Fork. After losing a couple good fish due to my leader getting hammered by rocks around the line tie, I tried Vertical jigs. I like the way the leader feeds thru the head and ties behind it. I started using the heavier jigs as C-Rig weights, and tying my leader into the jig eye because it comes out the back. This gives me 2 hooks and 2 different lures on my C-rig. In the fall, I can use a white jig for a weight, with a white Fluke trailing about 18" to 2 ft. behind it. It is surprising how many fish I catch on the jig/weight. (I have not gotten a double on this type rig, but it is possible.)
(Please overlook any typing errors, I had shoulder surgery on Dec 31, and am typing everything one handed "Hunt N' Peck")!
JackL
Old 01-02-09, 10:37 PM   #13
CMorg

C-Rig , do you make regular flippin jigs ? I only see the football , football finesse ,and regular finess jigs on your site..send me a PM I may have you make me some jigs.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 10:43 AM   #14
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

I was thinking of buying a couple of Mike Iaconelli's stone jigs. What say you all bout that?
Old 01-03-09, 12:58 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have a feeling I'm going to be using football jigs a lot more come spring.

BB
Old 01-04-09, 12:31 AM   #16
Rebbasser

Where is easier than what: Pretty much everywhere I throw a soft plastic I'll throw a jig as well.

The what? For finesse I like a Strike Works Finesse Jig. For casting/flipping/pitching I like a Cyclone Thunder Rattle Jig and an All-Terrain Tackle Grass Jig (thanks again, PnJ). For football jigs I get components from Stamina, Inc. and build my own.
Old 01-04-09, 09:53 AM   #17
Mark
BassFishin.Com Member

I am fishing an estuary near Marco FL. and what works well here are small jigs fished on the bottom . I like to setup 30 lb florocarbon leader 2 ft long on 6 to 8 lb test mono spooled on a 4 and a half foot Ultra-Lite rod.The 30 lb florocarbon leader is a must because the bottom is mostly coral .The jig a simple 1/8 oz red head with a white plastic curly tail grub.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 02:11 PM   #18
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to throw a Thunderstruck Football Jig in PBnJ or Missouri Crawl a lot with a watermellonseed baby brush hog for the trailer. This jig seems to work everywhere I go and I've caught some nice fish on it. On a lot of the stained lakes around here a little chart in the skirt seems to help out a lot. A Thunderstruck roughneck finnese jig can also do the trick and I throw it with a baby paca chunk in pbnj around boatdocks.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:34 PM   #19
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Home made jigs I tie ...

Minnow imitation

Crawfish imitation

Tube

hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:57 PM   #20
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

when i went to cabelas, i bought two jigs...just to get me started..i boutght a black and blue football jig, and a green watermellon booyah baby boo jig.

my first question is, what typeof trailer should i use.

second, how ddo i put the rattles on, or should i leave thm off?
Old 01-11-09, 05:07 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

there are a lot of factors that go into jig trailers and making the decision of using rattles or no rattles but this is a pretty good starting point.

for the football jig: i would start with either a baby brush hog or twin tailed grub. there are a lot of different trailers that i use but these seem to work for most conditions.

for the finesse jig: you can use most any trailer that you would use on the football jig but i really like a smallie beaver type bait on my finesse jigs, not an all the time thing but it will get you a lot of bites.

whether or not to use rattles depends a lot on water temp and color among other things. if the water is muddy then i really believe in rattles. also water depth is a factor for me. i use rattles a lot more when fishing a jig in deep water than i use them in shallow water. like i said the options are endless but this is a pretty good starting point. i have a ton of different baits that i use for trailers and it is hard to keep all of these in enough colors to cover all the jig colors that are in my box, it is a lot of work to keep up with inventory of these trailers.
Old 01-11-09, 05:12 PM   #22
abu4600

I like a 4" twin tail grub or a baby brush hog for a trailor,as for rattles i dont use them much but when i do i use a buckshot rattle made by northland tackle its like a skirt collar w/2 rattlers on it, to put it on just slide the collar up the hook and then add your trailer.Its the best rattle i have found and it can be easily added or removed from the jig.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 09:06 PM   #23
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2

Of all the jigs I've used IMO there is none that compares to a terminator jig.
I also use easkins round head and football head jig. I will admit of all the football
head jigs I like the Revenge ones the best. I've caught countless fish on a revenge
football jig in all black with a gambler b.b. cricket in blue lagoon. I just cast it out
on points and work it back. It gets some violent strikes and braid will bend the hook
so that is why I don't recommend braid for this jig.

I will flip any jig wether its designed for that or not. I am just getting into half ounce and
heavier jigs but for the most part I use 3/8's or lighter.

It depends on the cover but for the most part I am using a
7'2" med /xfast cumara with twelve pound test on a zillion 6.3:1
7'2" m/h cumara 15lb floro high speed zillion
6'10" m/h crucial curado D and same floro.

I use a jig any and everywhere that I'd used plastics but for the most part I use b/b jigs.
I have greens and browns, which the brown hardly ever get any use in this part of florida. My peeve with jigs is mono for winter time. Hope this helps.
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 05:50 PM   #24
lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihnclb22 View Post
when i went to cabelas, i bought two jigs...just to get me started..
here's lesson #1...buy jigs at least 6 at a time. YOU WILL LOSE JIGS! if you aren't losing them, you aren't throwing them where you should be.

trailers can be broken down into 2 categories. lots of movement i.e. a plactic craw or a baby brushog with several appendages. or, little movement, like a chunk or pork with the flat "arms"

colors are easier. darker water darker colors, black, black and blue something like that. clearer water go natural, green pumpkin, watermelon or an orage crawfish color.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 07:26 PM   #25
3dkicker

I've got a few for different situations.

I like Woo's for general use like flipping wood. They have XWG hooks and are inexpensive ($1.99).

Dave's Tournament has a head design and color, Spring Craw, that works well in rock and wood in the Spring or early Summer.

R&R (used to Gerkin) makes a great skipping jig.

I haven't used many football style jigs but got the feeling that may change very soon.

I've got a grass jig that is custom made by a friend who designed it for the Potomac river and proved very successful for me this past summer. Just put an order in for 60 more.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.