Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-09, 11:29 PM   #26
Jigskipper
BassFishin.Com Member

I like a jig which is designed to be skipped under docks or overhangs. This is normally an arkey type jig head which is 3/8 to 1/2 oz (mostly 1/2 oz). This head shape skips well. I like those made by ShooterJigs.com. They have a great skirt (if not a great web site) which is tied on securely, rather than being held in place by a rubber hoop or hub. That way the skirt won't slip off when the jig is skipped across the surface. The skirt flairs out nicely when the jig settles to the bottom. For trailers, I like Berkley Chigger Craws in green pumpkin. Use some super glue to help the plastic stay put. I might use those crawfish scented colored markers to enhance the chigger craw a bit. I often add some blue to the claws. Jig color for me is almost always green pumpkin with some brown (they call it Cricket). Hooks are 5/0. Big enough to do the job. Oh, sometimes I trim the skirt to resemble an Eakins Jig. I gather all the skirt strands which are on the lead head side of the skirt wrap (the forward side), then pull them forward over the head and trim them at a point just beyond the head. If done right, this will give a shape which roughly resembles the tail of a crawfish. To help you visualize what I mean, here is a link to the Eakins web site.

https://jewelbait.com/store/merchant...tegory_Code=JX
Jigskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 09:39 AM   #27
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Just to but in, how do you all store your jigs?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 10:07 AM   #28
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I keep mine sectioned off in my plano box, I put about 3-6 per sectioned off area...now that I have the thunderstruck jigs I have them on display for easy pickin's when needed.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 01:53 PM   #29
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I keep mine in a plano box as well. I have them sectioned off by weight and color.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 03:17 PM   #30
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Plano box here as well. Used to be sectioned off, but since by jig fishing has exploded I now have 1 big box slap full of jigs. Need to do some organising.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 08:03 PM   #31
bamabassman

mine have their own special box buzzy. very special box.....under LOCK and KEY, AND A TIMER LOCK AS WELL. no body gets to use one unless I SAY SO. lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 03:59 PM   #32
scooter520
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jig Questions

I have thrown almost all of the "Major" Brands of jigs out there, and depending on the way you fish, sooner or later you will start to fray your knot. Either from bumpin tree's and limbs, or rock crawling a football jig over mussell beds and rocky points. But Vertical Jigs has found the answer. The line passes through the center of the head, and tie's in line with the hook. Die hard flippers & pitchers will not be able to look at another Jig the same way again. Check out the video at thier website: www.verticallures.com . It will explain everything, and also introduce you to our Chunk X Slings. The best trailer holder on the market.
Old 01-31-09, 11:39 AM   #33
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter520 View Post
I have thrown almost all of the "Major" Brands of jigs out there, and depending on the way you fish, sooner or later you will start to fray your knot. Either from bumpin tree's and limbs, or rock crawling a football jig over mussell beds and rocky points. But Vertical Jigs has found the answer. The line passes through the center of the head, and tie's in line with the hook. Die hard flippers & pitchers will not be able to look at another Jig the same way again. Check out the video at thier website: www.verticallures.com . It will explain everything, and also introduce you to our Chunk X Slings. The best trailer holder on the market.
I watched the video, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The bottom of the jig is dragged over, on, and through just about everything you will encounter on the bottom, and that's where the eye is that you tie to? Wouldn't that cause the knot to be even more abused?
Old 01-31-09, 11:43 AM   #34
bamabassman

the eye is in BACK of the head joel. interesting to me. would love to see a REAL time video.
Old 01-31-09, 12:09 PM   #35
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
the eye is in BACK of the head joel. interesting to me. would love to see a REAL time video.
I really couldn't see that much in the video as to the actually eye location. But even if the knot is in the back and out of the way, the line goes through the front of the head, and then I would think that the wear on the line would be there.
Old 01-31-09, 12:32 PM   #36
lowrider

click on the "knot tie for jig-x" button. there is a click-thru process of the tie point.

i'll hand it to the fact thats it's different. everbody knows you can't reinvent the wheel, but that may be a good selling point
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 12:43 PM   #37
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
click on the "knot tie for jig-x" button. there is a click-thru process of the tie point.

i'll hand it to the fact thats it's different. everbody knows you can't reinvent the wheel, but that may be a good selling point
I just took a look at the knot tieing step by step instructional they have. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that they made a better mouse trap. For starters in a traditional grass jig the eye is about at the 60 degree mark, but always above the horizontal axis. In the Jig-x the eye and the knot are located in the top rear, completely out of the way and safe. But the single strand of line goes through dead center of the front of the jig head. Making it fully exposed to everything in it's path. Now rather then having a knot, you have a single line being exposed to everything that can and will damage and or cut line.

Unless they can furnish proof that I'm wrong and the incoming line is safe, I wouldn't even consider this as an option to my standard jigs.
Old 01-31-09, 12:46 PM   #38
lowrider

agreed. i'll stick with my thunderstrucks.

btw, shut up monkey! i know i need a few more!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 01:53 PM   #39
bamabassman

i hear ya on the not a better mouse trap. but it is interesting. i like the thunderstrucks too lowrder. gonna try one or 2 of bb's as well. that is IF i can learn to flip and all CORRECTLY. now i gotta watch the video of kevin again. hahahahahaha.
Old 01-31-09, 01:58 PM   #40
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i hear ya on the not a better mouse trap. but it is interesting. i like the thunderstrucks too lowrder. gonna try one or 2 of bb's as well. that is IF i can learn to flip and all CORRECTLY. now i gotta watch the video of kevin again. hahahahahaha.
I pitch, I don't flip. Kevin makes it look easy. But you have to have more coordination then I have to do it consistently. Remember the golden rule. The easier it looks, the better they are at doing it.
Old 01-31-09, 02:05 PM   #41
bamabassman

yes joel you are right, that is why i need ALL the pratice i can get,lmao.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.