Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-09, 02:00 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default So many choices….

Hello everyone. I’m a noobie. No please, hold your applause.

I recently started fishing again this past spring and summer. I hadn’t really fished consistently since I was probably 9, 10, 11 years old. But once I started fishing again I immediately got addicted. I wanted to go every second I got. In fact, my brother texted me at work one day saying he was out fishing at a lake we had been going to lately. When I realized how close the lake was to my job, I started going fishing over my lunch hour every day…and on my way home from work every day. So now I keep at least 2 reels/rods in my trunk just in case I run across a pond or get the urge to drop a worm in the water real quick.

So anyway, along with my addiction to want to fish every minute of every day, I’ve develop this strange desire to check out fishing reels. I grew up on spincast, bobbers, nightcrawlers, corn, minnows, hotdogs, etc. So as luck would have it Cabela’s is right next door to my job. So I’d wonder in there once or twice a week eying the latest spincast combos. I started with the ultra cheapos, Cabela brand for like $16, then maybe a Zebco 202, just entry level stuff. I never did get real high on spincase level. My last spincase was a Daiwa from Bass Pro Shop. Nice solid piece. But one day I decided to purchase one of those $15 Shakespeare spinning reel combos from Wal-Mart just to try it out. After getting control of the unraveling line when first trying to tie on a lure while sitting in my car over lunch, and after retrieving the line several times from trees, power lines, and my neighbors gutter from practicing casting, I fell in love with the spinning reel.

Now my search is for the best baitcasting reel combo without paying Bill Dance / Jimmy Houston/ Roland Marting type of money for it began. So I’ve been to Cabelas (of course), Bass Pro Shop, sporting goods stores, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, anywhere reels are sold. So in doing so I’ve ran across more options than my brain can handle…at fairly reasonable prices. I’m talking in the $35-$50 range.

So I thought I’d get some opinions and suggestions. I have to add this disclaimer: I love fishing, but I’m not too serious when it comes to equipment. I’m not going to go out and spend more than $70-$80 at the most for a rod & reel combo. And I probably won’t spend that much until my birthday comes and my wife gets a nice combo for me. Trust, if I spend $70-$80 it’ll be like my prized possession even though some reels cost hundreds of dollars.

The combos I’m looking at are in that $35-$50 range. So I’d like to throw out some name brands and have you guys give your opinion on which one you’d get. I’m not going to go into a whole lot of detail as I’m sure you know what type of combo you can get for that amount of money. So I won’t go into the whole “it has 8 sterling silver ball bearing with 7.469 coefficient drag ratio at 4.21 PSI per crank with double clutch brake system…” mumble jumbo. Based on your experience or gut feeling what brand would you go with at the said price range:

Shimano
Quantum
Shakespeare
Daiwa
Cabelas series
Bass Pro Shop series
Pflueger
Abu Garcia
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 02:24 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
So anyway, along with my addiction to want to fish every minute of every day, I’ve develop this strange desire to check out fishing reels.
I have to say, this your quote is one of the best descriptions of the bait monkey I have read.....

I believe that most of the combos at that price will be similar in capablilities. I will never say that you have to buy a big end name brand, but you will find that the durability reels in the range you listed is a little questionable.
All of that being said, this $60 one has worked okay for me.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_100-3-1

I have also caught a number of fish on the diawa dimension combo's that run around 49.99.
I would also suggest checking out craigslist or ebay and consider getting used. When I do this, I prefer to find the item in a store so I can get a feel for it then do the online comparison shopping.
If you treat these combo's right (doing all the maintenance regularly) then they will last for a couple of years. Understand though, that if they require any serious repairs, you will probably be better off replacing it thn trying to buy the components.
Old 01-12-09, 02:57 PM   #3
Earl Marshall

That is the way I started out thinking one cheap baitcaster ( Loved those spinning reels until using a baitcaster ). I beleave after you get use to the baitcaster you will be hooked. LOL

Earl
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 06:16 PM   #4
rrw4258

Welcome to the nuthouse... As for your combo, you are not going to get a quality combo for $35-50... If i had to recommend a reel for beginners it would be a Pinnacle Platinum LP100 that you can get at Wally World for under $40 for the reel. It is good at throwing light baits with. It is much easier to learn on a good baitcaster than it is a cheap one... Trust Me!

Ryan
Old 01-12-09, 08:00 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, i have a few set ups directly from wally world pal. try out the abu garcia silver max?, put it on a 6'6" either lighting rod or cherrywood, or abu tournament rod. i have all 3 rods. very good rods for the money. ifn ya want a better reel, get the promax from wally world, $90.00. rods aren't over 25 bucks.now i know you looked at the pinnacle inertia's as well. very good reel too. i have one of them,lol. it is a finesse reel. you may not be wuit ready for that yet. i use these reels and rods everytime i fish. get ya some really good line and you are set my friend.

by the way...WELCOME BAIT MONKEY FODDER. you are officaily hooked in his grasp. feed him regulerly and you'll be fine.

please don't get one the combos, tried that and they fail everytime. a combo for under 50 bucks ...might as well get a zebco 33 combo. better in my opion.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 08:20 PM   #6
keithdog

In March BPS stores usually have some pretty good deals on prepackaged combos. If you can wait till then you could very well find a bargain.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 08:26 PM   #7
woody

Fish,
Welcome to the boards, it sure sounds like you have been given some good advice to start with their. One thing I'll add is in getting a MediumHeavy Power rod, it's a great all purpose Rod to start with. There are lots of good people here that are willing to help.

~Woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 08:59 PM   #8
abu4600

Welcome, I would recomend a garcia reel and a good 6'6" rod. good luck with your search.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 09:04 PM   #9
bamabassman

thank you woody, i fogot to add the type of rod.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 09:10 PM   #10
woody

Any time Bama, Thanks!

~Woody
Old 01-12-09, 09:21 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Rod - get MH (Mediumheavy) Cherrywood rod or the new Berkley Lightning Shock rod. Size 6'6" to 7'

Reel - at your price point, this is a tough one. I strongly believe that you will want to learn on a quality baitcaster (the super-cheapy baitcasting reels do not always behave that well). You might want to consider a BPS (Bass Pro Shops) reel that is on clearance from last year's lot.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 06:38 PM   #12
fish4942

I was at BPS this Sunday and they told about their sales coming up. I’ve just been seeing some good “after Christmas” deals so I didn’t want to let them pass by. The combo I’m looking at now is the Quantum Tenacity Baitcast combo. I know Quantum is a know respected name so that’s why I’ve given it serious consideration.

I haven’t been a big fish (bass, catfish, walleye) angler. Just mainly bluegill, crappie, trout from local lakes and ponds. But this spring I plan on going after the bigger species. All I’ve heard from the pro fishing shops is that once you get the hang of the Baitcast you won’t want to use anything else. Below is the combo I can get for about $35.00:

fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 03:51 AM   #13
carolina-rig-01

you might look into an abu-garcia black max reel and put it on a berkley lightning rod. pretty good stuff at that price.
Old 01-15-09, 04:03 AM   #14
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
All I’ve heard from the pro fishing shops is that once you get the hang of the Baitcast you won’t want to use anything else.
Yes and no. I still prefer my lighter spinning rods when going after the trout and the bluegill. None of my bait casters will downsize on line enough for me to use on trout. Plus I like the action on an ultralight better than trying to muscle the smaller fish in.
Old 01-15-09, 12:27 PM   #15
woody

Fish4942,
I own a Quantum Tenacity combo and I can say that surprisingly it casts very well.

~Woody
Old 01-15-09, 07:25 PM   #16
Jim80

an abu or the pinnacle lp100 is a good reel for under 50 bucks .

Jim
Old 01-15-09, 08:59 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Honestly, starting out, I don't care how cheap of a rod you get, but it'll be easier for yourself to use a good reels. I spent $80 bucks on my first baitcaster, and wouldn't spend less than that.

BB
Old 01-15-09, 11:30 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Welcome to the nuthouse... As for your combo, you are not going to get a quality combo for $35-50... If i had to recommend a reel for beginners it would be a Pinnacle Platinum LP100 that you can get at Wally World for under $40 for the reel. It is good at throwing light baits with. It is much easier to learn on a good baitcaster than it is a cheap one... Trust Me!

Ryan

i second that on the pinnacle platinum

also the shimano baitcasters are great.. my fishing buddy and i fish with those and they work great for beginners.. learn to set your reel, then tighten it up just a little and you should be good..

it takes some practicing to get it right but i love my spinning and baitcaster reels..

i want to get on the water TOMORROW now..

[not really its supposed to be 32 for a high.. and 9 for a low the next night]
Old 01-16-09, 03:11 AM   #19
Mighty Mouse
BassFishin.Com Member

My disposable income is limited as well. And have to say that I have purchase more than my share of "discount" reels. The one thing that I can say when purchasing a baitcasting reel is do buy cheap poor quality. You'll never enjoy pulling out the birdsnests. Not to say that you wont get a snarl or two with a good reel. We all do. There are some decent reels and rod out there as a combo, but you should save your pennies and try to get something a little bit better that your current budget. Another approach would be to spend a bit more on the reel. Buy a cheapo rod. And then later get a better rod.

Finally, there can be great deals in the classified. Used equipment may be the way to go. Most fishermen are like me and we all could get rid of a few. If you were close I could get you set up easy for $50. Good luck in your search. I started out with Bass Pro shops brand made by Pflueger.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:27 PM   #20
quenston

I learned how to baitcast with a Black Max I think they are about 50 bucks as far as the rod I bought a cheap rod until I learned how to effectively cast with the reel and then went to a higher end rod and trust me once you get a good reel and a good rod you will not want to fish with anything else besides baitcasters!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.