Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-10, 10:35 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Well the Boat Monkey got me

So the Minn Kota Maxxum Pro that came on my new Triton was a total piece of junk. It was all wore out and needed rebuilt something awful. It was also a 52" shaft which is way too long for how I fish around here ( alot of shallow flipping and pitching ). So I got ahold of the dealer and they were gonna send me a new trolling motor. When it came in it was in way worse shape than the one I had so I sent it back along with a nasty email stating that I would just take care of it myself so that I knew it would be done right. Anyways since I didn't like the 52" shaft and planned on buying a new trolling motor down the road, rebuilding this one seemed like wasting money. So today I bit the bullet and bought what I wanted. Take a look at the newest addition to the Triton.

I bought the 45" shaft 101lb thrust model.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
Old 05-24-10, 10:37 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats C-Rig. Now you just have to get your tax man to word is as a R&D purchase for thunderstuck
Old 05-24-10, 11:41 PM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That is a nice addition to the triton.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 06:40 AM   #4
bassboogieman

A few things to check since it's a 36v motor. You should have #6 cu wire and a 50a breaker from batteries to t/m, depending on which model Triton you have, it may be #6, The 18' & 19' boats have #8 cu with the 24V t/m being the norm. The larger boats have #6 anticipating the 36v t/m option. That may necessitate a heavier plug. You'll be adding a third battery, so how old and in what condition are your existing batteries? If they are more than a couple years old you may not get optimal performance from your new t/m, and not get the normal life from the new battery. Usually t/m batteries are all replaced at the same time as the older batteries will adversly effect the new one. Be sure to check the associated equipment, just changing the t/m is not all you'll have to do. Don't forget a battery tray to securely mount the additional battery. You'll like the 101, it's what I have on mr TR-21, but I went with the 54" shaft. I can always raise it for shallow water, and when I'm fishing in those two footers, I can keep the prop in the water.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-25-10 at 06:50 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 07:48 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Very nice, congrats on the new addition to the boat Kory!

BB
Old 05-25-10, 09:47 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Congrats on the new trolling motor, Kory. Good lord...those things are even more than the Terrovas, if you consider it's not co-pilot, auto-pilot, or i-pilot.

As for the shaft length, does it bother you to have it sticking up high above the bow? With a corded model, I guess it could. However, with the Terrova, which you pull up by the head itself rather than a cord, I think more height would make it easier to pull up in a hurry.
Old 05-25-10, 01:54 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
A few things to check since it's a 36v motor. You should have #6 cu wire and a 50a breaker from batteries to t/m, depending on which model Triton you have, it may be #6, The 18' & 19' boats have #8 cu with the 24V t/m being the norm. The larger boats have #6 anticipating the 36v t/m option. That may necessitate a heavier plug. You'll be adding a third battery, so how old and in what condition are your existing batteries? If they are more than a couple years old you may not get optimal performance from your new t/m, and not get the normal life from the new battery. Usually t/m batteries are all replaced at the same time as the older batteries will adversly effect the new one. Be sure to check the associated equipment, just changing the t/m is not all you'll have to do. Don't forget a battery tray to securely mount the additional battery. You'll like the 101, it's what I have on mr TR-21, but I went with the 54" shaft. I can always raise it for shallow water, and when I'm fishing in those two footers, I can keep the prop in the water.
The Maxxum Pro that I am taking off the boat is a 36V 101lb thrust, and the boat is a 21X so I am already good to go.
Old 05-25-10, 01:56 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Congrats on the new trolling motor, Kory. Good lord...those things are even more than the Terrovas, if you consider it's not co-pilot, auto-pilot, or i-pilot.

As for the shaft length, does it bother you to have it sticking up high above the bow? With a corded model, I guess it could. However, with the Terrova, which you pull up by the head itself rather than a cord, I think more height would make it easier to pull up in a hurry.
IT bothers me to no end to have the trolling motor sticking up so high. I have having to work around it when flipping and pitching.
Old 05-25-10, 02:01 PM   #9
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

they are really nice rig. a guy i know has one its pretty awesome. i just bought a 109 motorguide im picking up on thursday. i wanted the fortrex but i would have to do some more modifing i was told congrats man
Old 05-25-10, 02:39 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
IT bothers me to no end to have the trolling motor sticking up so high. I have having to work around it when flipping and pitching.
It seems we all have our own sensibilities.

With my back and knees, I hate hauling mine up as much as you hate having it up high.
Old 05-25-10, 02:49 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
It seems we all have our own sensibilities.

With my back and knees, I hate hauling mine up as much as you hate having it up high.
Well it is in the way if I raise it up when making a real low side armed cast or flipping and pitching.
Old 05-25-10, 03:07 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I'm totally jealous, man. I've been looking at them, and you beat me to the Monkey Punch!

If I want a Terrova 80lb 24V (I can't justify the extra battery weight for a 36V system until I get a 175 hp motor), I pretty much have to settle for a 54" shaft, minimum. I don't mind fishing with it up high, but I do mind it covering up my rod locker door, or being all over my rods on the deck when it's stowed. Still not sure what I'm going to do.
Old 05-25-10, 05:54 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Bryce in my opinion the added weight from one more battery isn't that big of an issue. I mean when you add up the weight from all of our gear, tackle, gas, oil, and whatever else we have in our boats, an extra 70lbs or so isn't that big of a deal.
Old 05-25-10, 07:37 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Bryce in my opinion the added weight from one more battery isn't that big of an issue. I mean when you add up the weight from all of our gear, tackle, gas, oil, and whatever else we have in our boats, an extra 70lbs or so isn't that big of a deal.
Just remember, I only have a 115. If I'm fishing by myself, it's all good. Last year, I actually ran into a situation with a big guy for a fishing partner, and a full livewell. I couldn't get her up on plane. Sickening.

Regardless, you're right in the long run. By the time I'm ready to buy a new TM, I should have lost a hundred more pounds at least. Great excuse to add more gear to the boat LOL.
Old 05-25-10, 09:32 PM   #15
bcklash

Quote:
Just remember, I only have a 115. If I'm fishing by myself, it's all good. Last year, I actually ran into a situation with a big guy for a fishing partner, and a full livewell. I couldn't get her up on plane. Sickening.

Regardless, you're right in the long run. By the time I'm ready to buy a new TM, I should have lost a hundred more pounds at least. Great excuse to add more gear to the boat LOL.
Turn that around "a good excuse to lose more weight" and that my friend is from a fat old fart
Old 05-25-10, 10:14 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Turn that around "a good excuse to lose more weight" and that my friend is from a fat old fart
Actually, I don't need an excuse. Now that they got me straightened out...it just keeps coming off, without much trying.
Old 05-26-10, 10:27 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

hey carolina, maybe you could loan that new TM to nofear so he can get his ride up on plane!

<hehe>
Old 05-27-10, 02:05 PM   #18
Captmikestarrett

I was wondering how the removable mount works on that unit..

Is it strong enough to survive a colision?

And is it difficult to remove?

Can you lock it?

Thanks

Capt Mike
Old 05-27-10, 03:29 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Honestly, if there ever was an application for a hybrid engine, it would be a bass boat. I would LOVE to see a 4-stroke generator on a boat, with an electric prop drive unit. By using electric switching only, I bet you could have an awesome low-speed and high-speed rig.

Take the hint, Mercury!!!
Old 05-27-10, 05:17 PM   #20
bassboogieman

One of these: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SearchResults:
and one of these: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...esults#reviews
and you're as close to a "hybrid" boat motor you're probably ever going to get.
Old 05-27-10, 05:22 PM   #21
nofearengineer

It's actually sort of sad....because an electric motor, if set up right, would out-accelerate an internal combustion engine type outboard every time.

Huge amounts of torque available.

And with careful wiring of the motor, you can switch it for high speed running too.
Old 05-27-10, 09:31 PM   #22
bassboogieman

There are also downsides - we'd loose the smell of a 2-stroke in the morning. I LOVE THAT! And who could ever say they LOVE the sound of a boat HUMMING down the lake? Kripes, can you imagine an electric motor on a boat, so quiet, when your wife/girlfriend/other is along you actually would HAVE to talk to them while running down the lake? Arggggghhhh.
Old 05-27-10, 11:05 PM   #23
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Kripes, can you imagine an electric motor on a boat, so quiet, when your wife/girlfriend/other is along you actually would HAVE to talk to them while running down the lake? Arggggghhhh.
If it comes to that, crank the stereo up!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.