Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-07, 09:26 PM   #1
Kingman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Today's fishing story (Buzzbait)

Well here it goes, I got home from work at 8am and slept till about 2pm. Got the boat in the water about 5pm and started fishing on Norton Reservoir. I had problems with my rod and reel I recently purchased at Dicks, but I did catch 1 small mouth and 1 large mouth bass before I determined that I could not fix my reel.

I pulled the boat out of the water and went to Dicks and exchanged my rod and reel for a new one. While at dicks I decided to buy a buzzbait that everyone has been talking about. On my way home I stopped at a nice little river and tried it out with no luck. I then went to Chartley Pond and tried it there. I was getting very discouraged and was getting ready to leave because I had no luck, then all of a sudden........

Just as the buzzbait was at the shoreline I got a big hit. I am using an ultralight rod and the thing bent practically in half. I got the bass to the shoreline and noticed how big he actually was! I reached down to pick him up and he snapped the line, with the buzzbait still in his mouth. I practically dove in after him and grabbed ahold of him before he had a chance at getting away.

I ran up to my truck and got the scale and weighed him quickly. Just shy of 5 pounds. Probally the biggest freshwater fish I have ever caught. Wish I had a camera with me. Needless to say I will be trying that buzzbait a little more often now..........
Kingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 09:39 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well congrats!!

2 questions for you... one, why would you get off the water if one your your set-ups went bad? Why not switch to the next? Second Why fish with an ultra-light set-up if you are fishing something liek a buzzbait? I know that there is thrill in the fact of catching big fish with ultralight set-ups, but more times than none when you hook a fish better than 3-4lbs, your line will break, or the fish will spit the hook. Just wondering.

Anyways sounds liek some fun and keep it up!
Old 07-27-07, 11:58 PM   #3
Kingman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Well congrats!!

2 questions for you... one, why would you get off the water if one your your set-ups went bad? Why not switch to the next? Second Why fish with an ultra-light set-up if you are fishing something liek a buzzbait? I know that there is thrill in the fact of catching big fish with ultralight set-ups, but more times than none when you hook a fish better than 3-4lbs, your line will break, or the fish will spit the hook. Just wondering.

Anyways sounds liek some fun and keep it up!

It was a great time, I got off the water because I wanted to get my rod swapped out before it started to get dark so I could get right back to fishing. I've got an ultra-light rod because I am just starting out all over again and don't have much money to spare. I plan to get some more gear soon.
Old 07-28-07, 12:02 PM   #4
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default nice

WTG Kingman,Nice catch...good story.Fish that buzzbait close to structure.Logs/laydowns,reeds,weed,points,lilly pads and edges of scum mats...and hold on.placement is important to of the bait.Try different retreives..even burn sometime across the water.The fish will tell ya what they want. Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 07:20 PM   #5
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingman View Post
It was a great time, I got off the water because I wanted to get my rod swapped out before it started to get dark so I could get right back to fishing. I've got an ultra-light rod because I am just starting out all over again and don't have much money to spare. I plan to get some more gear soon.
Thats a big 10-4.
Old 07-30-07, 08:22 AM   #6
Kingman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_K View Post
WTG Kingman,Nice catch...good story.Fish that buzzbait close to structure.Logs/laydowns,reeds,weed,points,lilly pads and edges of scum mats...and hold on.placement is important to of the bait.Try different retreives..even burn sometime across the water.The fish will tell ya what they want. Denny
Thanks for the info, I've tried it the past couple of days at different locations and have not had any luck with it since that day. I guess I'll keep trying!!!
Old 08-02-07, 01:44 PM   #7
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

At least you know it does catch them. My buzz bait is the same way, just never know when they want it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.