Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-10, 03:21 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Reel for Shallow Cranks

I am putting in my order now for a few rods. One of them is a rod for shallow cranks. When I was originally doing my research for a combo I was going to go with the Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo because it has a line retrieve rate that is pretty low. But now I can not find them, I was not expecting them to disappear that quickly. So my question is this, what is a good reel for shallow cranks that will not break that bank but is still high quality and has a little slower retrieve then a standard reel, but not as slow as a deep cranking reel?
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 03:56 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a Curado E5, it does the job and is a little cheaper than the Skeet.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 03:59 PM   #3
JerseyFisher

BPS Pro Qualifier has a couple low gear ratio reels 5.2 and 4.7
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 05:39 PM   #4
Tavery5

I also use the Curado 200E5, you can pick them up on EBAY for like 150. The Pflueger President is very close to the SKT Revo, in terrms of gear ratio and IPT. They are a nice reel and can be found at a very descent price.

Last edited by Tavery5; 06-28-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 05:41 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For shallow crankin', I use a fast gear ratio BPS Extreme. The only time I ever switch to a slower reel is for extreme deep crankin' (20+) feet.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 07:56 PM   #6
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I use a Curado E5, it does the job and is a little cheaper than the Skeet.
I agree. It's an excellent choice.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:28 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you wanted the Abu Garcia SKT Revo, I'd watch ebay for it. I grabbed one right after they came out for what they were on clearance for recently off ebay. It actually is my shallow cranking reel and it's great. It even handles deeper cranks because the extra long Power Handle gives you more torque. And it can easily cast 1/4oz cranks, which many shallow divers (including my favorite Bandit 100s) are.
Old 07-01-10, 01:11 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
For shallow crankin', I use a fast gear ratio BPS Extreme. The only time I ever switch to a slower reel is for extreme deep crankin' (20+) feet.
Same here. A high speed reel will work fine for shallow cranks. The big bruisers like a DD-22 or Series 6 will flat wear you out with a high speed reel, but are a pleasure to fish with a low speed reel. I throw shallow cranks on a 6.3:1 reel but use a 4.7:1 reel for big, deep cranks. the BPS Extreme is a great reel for the $.
Old 07-02-10, 06:41 AM   #9
tim4081

I agree with others here....you don't need a low speed reel for shallow and medium cranks although I wouldn't use high speed either, too easy to work the lure too fast. I was looking for the same thing recently and found a Daiwa HSTA at Gander Mtn. on clearance. I've only used it a couple of times but seems like a great reel. If you have a Gander near you check and see if they have this....I got it for less than the price of a Citica.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 06:57 AM   #10
keithdog

I've been using the BPS Rick Clunn 5.4:1 reel and really have enjoyed it for shallow crankin. It retrieve 23" of line per crank which works out very well. Very smooth and long casting reel.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:27 PM   #11
3dkicker

I think an important issue that's been skipped is the drag system for shallow cranking. Are you fishing wood? Grass? Pads? Rock? or a combo? Being able to move a fish out of cover quickly without ripping the hooks out makes a huge difference. Do forget the rod is important in this matter too.
Old 07-04-10, 07:41 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I think an important issue that's been skipped is the drag system for shallow cranking. Are you fishing wood? Grass? Pads? Rock? or a combo? Being able to move a fish out of cover quickly without ripping the hooks out makes a huge difference. Do forget the rod is important in this matter too.
Good point 3D. I'm using a 7' Shimano Convergence rod in Med power with a MF action. Works great with smaller cranks.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 11:03 PM   #13
bassboogieman

I use a Pflueger Asaro, approx $120 retail but you can get them NIB for a little less. I use Pflueger exclusively and like the Asaro for cranks. It's a 6.3>1 but the rate of retreive is 25" per handle turn about 3" less than a comparable 6.3>1. I have a couple of each in regular spool and wide spool and while they are not in the same league as the Patriarch ($200) they do just fine with cranks. Regular spool would be best for the shallow cranks.
Just checked Ebay and this is an example of the savings you can get occasionally this is a $120 retail reel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pflueger-Asaro-B...item3caec681f5
$70 NIB. Good buy!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-04-10 at 11:08 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 01:19 PM   #14
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I did not even think of that. But ill be fishing all of the above but mostly grass and wood cover. I will be using a Dobyns rod the 704CB rod 7' Medium Mod/Fast (if the club ever gets around to making there order)
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 07:54 PM   #15
3dkicker

If you're fishing areas that you're not afraid of bass wrapping you on wood or in grass then you can loosen the drag (make sure you buy a reel with a good one) and/or use a lighter stick. If you're fishing heavy cover you want a good hookset and be able to move the fish out quickly. The rod needs some backbone and tighten the drag a little. You may end up losing a couple but use quality hooks and line and you'll be fine.
Old 07-06-10, 07:01 AM   #16
Ebbetsguy

I am not going to talk brands that usually go to favorite discussions, which in the end go nowhere. I would like to talk gear ratios. I have tried a number, of very fine reels that crank as low as 4.7:1 and 5.0:1, and for me it seems to do little in the way of controlling depth and cadence. I use all 6.something to 1 ratio, it handles all I need and for me it is easier to slow down a bit than to speed up.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 11:00 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
I am not going to talk brands that usually go to favorite discussions, which in the end go nowhere. I would like to talk gear ratios. I have tried a number, of very fine reels that crank as low as 4.7:1 and 5.0:1, and for me it seems to do little in the way of controlling depth and cadence. I use all 6.something to 1 ratio, it handles all I need and for me it is easier to slow down a bit than to speed up.
Ebbets, there's a lot more to it than gear ratio. I think most of the time, line retrieve rates are more important.

Some examples of how gear ratios don't always mean the slowest reel.

Daiwa Zillion CC; 4.9:1; 22" retrieved per handle turn.
Abu Garcia Winch; 5.4:1; 21"
Abu Garcia SKT Revo; 6.4:1; 24"
Abu Garcia STX; 6.4:1; 28"
Daiwa Zillion; 7.1:1; 32"

The only time I really go by gear ratios is when picking a deep cranking reel. In that case, you need low torque. And a low gear ratio is going to give you more torque.

BB
Old 07-06-10, 10:58 PM   #18
Ebbetsguy

For you BB, not for me, Here is how I test a reel before I buy one, If I can get that glub-glub-glub action from a Jitterbug in my comfort zone, I'm in. I really dont get that technical, as I catch more than enough fish to be happy.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.