Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-12, 03:11 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Stick Jacket

Been looking at rod covers for awhile now. I believe in them so no need to sell me on the idea.
Here's the challenge I have. I want it to cover a rigged rod.
Now I've seen these for awhile and have searched and searched for some reviews and although the company says no problem with rigged pole they never show one being used on a rigged pole nor do ANY reviews. I'ved searched.
I've looked at BPS' and Cabelas and numerous other places. I know absolutly no one who uses a jacket of any sort.
Stick jacket is the only one that even addresses rigged poles.
I know theres lure jackets in fact Stick Jacket even has one and get this...on thier web page under the lure jacket description they say how it's great to have both. Kind of makes you wonder, huh? I mean first they stress the ability of the SJ and rigged rods and then they turn around and tell you to get both. I understand marketing but still makes you wonder. Plus $8-10 for SJ then another $6 for LJ, now you got like $15 per rod.
I'm just looking for someone to say,"I use them on rigged rods and it works fine".
So who wants to be first?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stick_Jacket_Spinning/descpage-SJSP.html
Old 03-06-12, 02:14 PM   #2
WatterBoy

I've never used a STICK JACKET and don't see me needing to use one in the foreseeable future. That being said, I can see 2 reasons why they want you to buy the LURE JACKET also.

1) They want you to buy something else of theirs.

2) One of the bullet-points they list under the Description of the STICK JACKET is this one, which makes me smile: "*Snagged hooks are very easily removed".
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 04:55 PM   #3
bassinbob

Check Cabelas. They have a rod cover with a piece of sewn in pvc for baits/hooks. Priced at $9.99.
Old 03-06-12, 09:23 PM   #4
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Check Cabelas. They have a rod cover with a piece of sewn in pvc for baits/hooks. Priced at $9.99.
bassinbob thanks, you too WatterBoy.
Was at Cabelas yesterday and almost bought the exact one you mentioned. Salesman said they were nice but the PVC is somewhat wide and the bungee that you use to secure cover has a tendency to tangle with one another if you have multiple rods like in a locker or carrying.
Last minute decided to think it through. They really are still on my list and if the Stick Jackets are a no than those will be my purchase. Probably should of kept the one I had, but I didn't. Could have at least tried the one and decided for myself.
It also was for baitcast only due to the spinning set ups the opening needed to fit over last or first guide is a pretty large gap.
Old 03-06-12, 10:10 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I use two brands of the "Chineese finger cuff" rod sleeves. Coles on my baitcasters and Stick Jackets on my spinning rods. Reason is simple, Coles was cheaper, but he was not making sleeves to fit spinning rods at the time I bought, they have a wider diameter due to the larger guides.
Coles = http://www.coletackle.com/

As for leaving them rigged - I do. It isn't a big deal with worm hooks or other plastic hooks, but I do take the bait off at the end of the day - too many rusted hooks from salty baits. Spinnerbaits can get snagged in the jacket, but they are easier to get out than a fabric sleeve, just compress the sleeve and the weave opens up. Treble hooks are a PITA, and you really should use a cover.

What I really like, and I posted this previously, is the ability to color code your rods. Unlike the plain black rod socks from BPS, etc. the "stick jackets" make finding a particular rod in the locker easier, especially if you have a "lot" of rods in there.

I don't use a different color for each rod, but a color for each group of rods, ie: crankbaits, spinnerbaits, plastics, etc. however you need to do it.

I used BPS rod socks for many years but I'm happier with the "stick jacket" style.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-06-12 at 10:17 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 11:59 PM   #6
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

I started with one stick jacket and have several now. I love them. Makes grabbing a rod from the bottom of the rodlocker a breeze. I don't have too many problems with rigged rods. Soft plastics you can slide right over. Trebled baits I try to hook to the reel frame or as far toward the butt as I can as they all stop short of the reel. You kinda have to use good sense with baits with trebles as they are generally a pita. I have some stick jackets and some rod glove about the same. Overall I would definitely recommend them.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 01:37 AM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I've never used a STICK JACKET and don't see me needing to use one in the foreseeable future. That being said, I can see 2 reasons why they want you to buy the LURE JACKET also.

1) They want you to buy something else of theirs.

2) One of the bullet-points they list under the Description of the STICK JACKET is this one, which makes me smile: "*Snagged hooks are very easily removed".

Dean, stick about 10-12 rods rigged with baits in your rod locker and you will soon understand why they are a worth while investment. Not only do they keep your rods untangled but if you have to move your rods by vehicle they help keep them from being damaged.

I use Rod Slix, but all the ones I have looked at are basically the same design.
Old 03-08-12, 07:01 AM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Dean, stick about 10-12 rods rigged with baits in your rod locker and you will soon understand why they are a worth while investment. Not only do they keep your rods untangled but if you have to move your rods by vehicle they help keep them from being damaged.

I use Rod Slix, but all the ones I have looked at are basically the same design.
The rod locker in our boat is 8 built-in tube-like slots where the individual rods go. I can obviously only store 8 rods there, but there is no way for anything to get tangled. I suppose they still might help prevent potential rod damage though.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 07:46 AM   #9
joedog

Thanks everyone. Ya the trebles are the problem and I'm curerently shorebusting and soon to be TRACKING through the woods to reach HOT spots. So rod lockers aren't as much a problem currently but the tips have a tendency to hit something when I hurriedly stuff them back through trunk like when it's raining or I'm just day dreaming about my next stop.
Thanks again to all who took the time to help me.
Old 03-08-12, 09:15 AM   #10
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

maybe i need some, i do travel the great shores of carolina lol,, but seriously thoug
Old 03-08-12, 09:33 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

I use Rod Sox.

http://rodsox.com/

I use the size longer so they slide down to my reel seat...Yes I gotta remove my lures,but I dont mind....Forces me to think better about my selection next time Im out fishing instead of tossing whats already tied on.
Only thing I dont like is they are slick and slide off fairly easily when Im carrying the rods in my hand....But Im working on a solution for that.

Other than that,I love em,and have every rod in one.
Old 03-08-12, 10:24 AM   #12
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I use Rod Sox.

http://rodsox.com/

I use the size longer so they slide down to my reel seat...Yes I gotta remove my lures,but I dont mind....Forces me to think better about my selection next time Im out fishing instead of tossing whats already tied on.
Only thing I dont like is they are slick and slide off fairly easily when Im carrying the rods in my hand....But Im working on a solution for that.

Other than that,I love em,and have every rod in one.
Thanks Waffle.
When I went to the site I also noticed an Alabama Sock for those of you Alabama rigging, thought I remembered some talk about the challenges associated with storing and carrying Alabamas.
Thanks again Waffle.
Old 03-08-12, 11:41 AM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
The rod locker in our boat is 8 built-in tube-like slots where the individual rods go. I can obviously only store 8 rods there, but there is no way for anything to get tangled. I suppose they still might help prevent potential rod damage though.

They def. help protect the eyes on the rod as you are sliding rods in and out of the tube type rod lockers. If you have not experienced any problems it may just be an expense, and not needed.
Old 03-08-12, 12:00 PM   #14
bassboogieman

+1 for Tav.

I took the rod rack (tubes) OUT of my rod locker. Didn't like it at all - seems the rod I wanted was always in the bottom and I had to take out a couple rods to get to the one I wanted - then put them back. It only held 10 (I think) and that wasn't near enough. Now with the jackets, I keep 18 - 20 rods in the locker and can identify and remove any that I want with ease, without removing others to get to it. They do not get tangled up, it's just a better, workable condition for me.

As noted you need to be carefull with line guides when inserting a non-sleeved rod into those tubes, and they do bounce around a little without any protection to the rod, you may also experience some damage. The sleeves are an inexpensive extra bit of protection for your rods. Not everyone requires or wants the added protection, but I'm fishing with premium (expensive) rods so I do want to protect them as much as possible and this style of sleeve works best for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 12:16 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
+1 for Tav.

I took the rod rack (tubes) OUT of my rod locker. Didn't like it at all - seems the rod I wanted was always in the bottom and I had to take out a couple rods to get to the one I wanted - then put them back. It only held 10 (I think) and that wasn't near enough. Now with the jackets, I keep 18 - 20 rods in the locker and can identify and remove any that I want with ease, without removing others to get to it. They do not get tangled up, it's just a better, workable condition for me.

As noted you need to be carefull with line guides when inserting a non-sleeved rod into those tubes, and they do bounce around a little without any protection to the rod, you may also experience some damage. The sleeves are an inexpensive extra bit of protection for your rods. Not everyone requires or wants the added protection, but I'm fishing with premium (expensive) rods so I do want to protect them as much as possible and this style of sleeve works best for me.
That's interesting, I have often thougt that I would like to add tubes to my rod lockers, but you have made me think that may not be the best way to go for my particular needs. Thanks
Old 03-08-12, 05:02 PM   #16
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for startin this thread, rod covers were going to be a must buy this year, since I usually fish with someone else in their boat I end up carrying a bunch of rods and they are constantly getting tangled.
My local tackle shop had them for ice fishing rods and he says he will be carrying full size ones this year. They look identical to the Rod Sox.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.