Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-11, 04:22 PM   #1
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Calling all Drop-Shotters

Ok guys, Winter will be here before long and things will have to slow down and go more finesse so I am in the market for a dedicated DS set up and would like everyones opinions. I'm debating on what rod/reel to use. I'm a big baitcast user, I haven't used a spinning set up in years.

I know I need to use a sensitive rod with a fast action tip?

Also I would think this same set up would work equally well for shakey head presentation?

I'd like to know your preferred set-up: Thanks.

Rod:
Reel:
Line:

Last edited by Handlebars; 10-14-11 at 06:26 PM.
Handlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 09:59 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Truthfully, I use a Daiwa Regal combo from GM. It works great for me.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 10:06 PM   #3
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, living on probably the greatest smallmouth fishery in the country, dropshotting is a mainstay on how we catch fish. The perfect dropshot combo for me is a 7'2" BPS Medium -Fast Carbonlite rod. My reel of choice is Pflueger Patriarch 9535 size, and the combo has the perfect balance point for me. The rod is the perfect combination of power and finesse. It does 1/4 and 3/8 weights great, but will also do 1/8 and 1/2 oz. weights with ease. I went thorugh alot of different fluorocarbon lines until I finally found the perfect line for me... Sunline Sniper in 8lb. Line is super thin, and casts really good for a fluorocarbon. I used to use Gamakatsu SS/DS Hooks, but I have now found the perfect hook, IMO... it is the VMC Size 1 Dropshot hook seen below... it really keeps them buttoned up good, especially the smallmouth.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_S...e-VMCDROP.html

Ryan
Old 10-14-11, 10:20 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Here's my current combo:

7'2" M XF Shimano Crucial DS Rod
Daiwa Certate 2000
10lb Sufix 832 in Neon Lime
6-8lb FC leader

The Crucial is a great rod for it's price, and I would highly recommend it for the price.

However, I've been in the search for a perfect dropshot rod for a while and have a few candidates for my next rod when I can afford one. The Loomis NRX 822S DSR (although it's a bit too short for my taste), Dobyns DX702SF, DX742SF, St. Croix Legend Elite LES76MLXF, etc.

As far as reels go, it'd be a toss up between a Daiwa Fuego 2000 and a Shimano Sustain 2500 (although it's a HEAVY reel).

It really depends on what you want to spend. I (and others) would be able to recommend something for you if you let us know what you're looking to spend.

BB
Old 10-15-11, 07:49 AM   #5
MIbasser

Here's my combo:

7'2" M XF Shimano Crucial DS Rod
Shimano Symetre 2500
10lb Fireline Crystal
8lb Seaguar FC leader
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 09:08 AM   #6
boloson

I've been meaning to try drop shots especially during the cold weather. Tried slowing things down alot but still no luck. I know drop shot is very versatile but does it typically work better for the colder months ?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 09:13 AM   #7
bassboogieman

I prefer a spinning set up for dropshotting:

Kistler HEII70MS = 7'0" M/f (LTX) w/recoil guides
Pflueger Supreme XT (9030)
20# Suffix braid
8# Flurocarbon leader
Owner octopus hook (size 1)
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 09:26 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
I've been meaning to try drop shots especially during the cold weather. Tried slowing things down alot but still no luck. I know drop shot is very versatile but does it typically work better for the colder months ?
I will fish a dropshot all year long. But it is one of my top three producers in the early spring, right after ice out. The think I like about it for cold water is the ability to dead stick a bait while keeping it off the bottom. In the spring, I might step up to a 1/4oz weight to keep contact with the bottom. I tend to fish smaller baits in the spring, like the smallest Zoom Fluke they make in a white or natural color. I find the key to fishing in cold water is to keep the bait still and rarely impart action.

BB
Old 10-15-11, 09:43 AM   #9
boloson

Yup. Have to really slow down my presentation. Will have to buy some drop shot hooks. What are some of the more popular ds baits? I have some roboworms which I really like but don't have any flukes. U guys drench the baits with scent?
Old 10-15-11, 09:55 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Boloson, as far as baits go, never limit yourself. Anything can become a dropshot bait, even though most prefer finesse worms like roboworms.

Roboworms are one of, if not the, most popular dropshot bait, but there are a lot of good ones out there. One of my personal favorites is Chomper's 4" DS worm. They are reasonably prices, fairly durable, have a great subtle action, and are LOADED with garlic (so don't open them in the car). Like I said, I also like the tiny flukes, or even a 3" Senko (or senko knockoff).

If the bait doesn't come with it, I rarely use any kind of scent.

BB
Old 10-15-11, 11:55 AM   #11
nofearengineer

My main dropshot bait is a "sassy shad" type I pick up from Gander Mountain. I usually get the 2" or 3" size, depending on time of year, in a pearl color. Bass love em.

Roboworms are okay, but I find the panfish tend to tear them off before the bass get to them.
Old 10-15-11, 12:10 PM   #12
DVT Mike

A 6'9" ML/XF makes an awsome drop shot rod. I built my own on an MHX but a close production rod is a St Croix AVC69MLFX. You shouldn't need anything special as far as a reel. I fish braid with a flouro leader.
Old 10-15-11, 03:57 PM   #13
rrw4258

My favorite dropshot baits are listed below (for both LM and SM bass):

Jackall Cross-Tail Shad
4" Strike King Finesse Worm
Mizmo 3.75" Scorpion
Roboworm 4.5"
Berkley Gulp Minnows 3" & 4"
Berkley Powerbait Wacky Crawler 5"
Berkley Gulp Fry 3"
Berkley Gulp Leech 3"
Berkley Gulp Crawler 4"

Ryan
Old 10-15-11, 09:37 PM   #14
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

This is some great info guys and much appreciated. I'm going to do some homework on all of these listed. I have drop shotted a few times but would like to get more serious with it. This is great.
Old 10-15-11, 10:56 PM   #15
boloson

yea really love this board. i was looking at some of them pre-rigged drop shot line & hook combos. any good? i dont have different rods dedicated for different rigs so i was thinking of using a swivel so i can quickly switch out rigs from cranks to worms to that pre-rigged drop shot combo. doable or not?
Old 10-15-11, 11:26 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
yea really love this board. i was looking at some of them pre-rigged drop shot line & hook combos. any good? i dont have different rods dedicated for different rigs so i was thinking of using a swivel so i can quickly switch out rigs from cranks to worms to that pre-rigged drop shot combo. doable or not?
I'd never get a pre-rig anything (c-rig, DS, texas rig, etc), simply because you can't control the quality of the hook, weight, line, knot, etc., it may end up costing you fish, and money in the long run.
Old 10-16-11, 01:43 PM   #17
Bender

If you want to switch quickly I think that it would be better to tie up several rigs at home with a tiny swivel at the top end. Then you could tie your main line directly onto the swivel when you want to use the drop shot rig. A lot of people use braid for their main line and use the tiny Spro swivels. I will be changing all of my drop shot rods over to this over the winter.

As far as rods go I prefer the 6'8"-6'10" rods for inland lakes where I am target casting with lighter weights up to 1/4 oz. The two rods I use for this are super sensitive Medium Lights with extra-fast tips. For the bigger water dragging I like the 7'2" or so longer rods. The rods I use are Fenwick, GLoomis, and Powells. I like the extra sensitivity but by keeping your finger on the line 100% of the time I think that you can get away with a less expensive rod without missing any bites.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 09:20 PM   #18
boloson

ok, tied myself a drop shot rig & will hit my local pond tomorrow morn. got some zoom super flukes & bunch of worms i want to try out. i'm in MA so the water temp is cold maybe in the high 30's?

this will be my first time fishing the DS rig so any advice on how to fish it? cast & let it sit? twitch it? sweep it?
Old 10-18-11, 07:34 AM   #19
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
A 6'9" ML/XF makes an awsome drop shot rod. I built my own on an MHX but a close production rod is a St Croix AVC69MLFX. You shouldn't need anything special as far as a reel. I fish braid with a flouro leader.
Jeees Dvt you make rods too....is there anything you don't do?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 08:53 AM   #20
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Yup. Have to really slow down my presentation. Will have to buy some drop shot hooks. What are some of the more popular ds baits? I have some roboworms which I really like but don't have any flukes. U guys drench the baits with scent?

I use Gamakatsu drop shot hooks. There are no wrong baits just have to experiement. I use scents alot, Gulp in a spray.

Cast it out, let it sit, twitch it, let it sit, twitch it, reel it in a few feet, start all over.

Old 10-18-11, 09:02 AM   #21
DVT Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Jeees Dvt you make rods too....is there anything you don't do?

Yard work! lol
Old 10-18-11, 06:52 PM   #22
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Our lakes aren't deep and the ones that we do dropshot in don't have much cover so we can get away with light rods, weights, and line. My dropshot combo is a 6'8" M/L Crucial with a 1000 Symetre and 6lb fluoroclear. I've handled some big fish with that rod and reel and it weighs next to nothing so it doesn't wear you out. I wouldn't even thing about fishing a shakeyhead with it though. 99% of my dropshot fish are caught on a Zoom Meathead or a 3" Gulp minnow.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.