Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-09, 03:09 PM   #26
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
it's not the same though. a fish will raise the water level and in a 5 gallon bucket will weigh more. however in a livewell when the water raises it runs out the overfill drain so you are losing the wight of the water the fish displaces. i think the same thing goes for the flw weigh-in theory. one thing i don't understand about the flw weigh-ins is how they get accurate weights when a fish should weigh less in water than it would out of water.

i agree that we are thinking too hard about this but it was fun to get all the "smart" people at work scratching their heads over this question.
Noone said that some of the water is lost through the overfill drain. It is really simple if you negate the loss of water to the overfill drain. It doesn't matter if the fish in the water or not. If you add 30 gallons of water to a livewell and then add 20 lbs of fish to the livewell, then you have added 30 gallons (~240 lbs of water) plus 20 lbs of fish. It doesn't matter whether the fish are floating or sinking or how much air is in their bladders. You have added 260 lbs of weight to your boat.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 03:14 PM   #27
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong but if water is displaced and drained from your boat then some of the water weight is no longer there....however it just depends on the mass of the bass that decides how much water is displaced.
Old 04-02-09, 03:15 PM   #28
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

anyone else have a headache now?
Old 04-02-09, 03:19 PM   #29
lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
it just depends on the mass of the bass

that should be on a t-shirt
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 03:20 PM   #30
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
that should be on a t-shirt
yeah that's way better than the shirts that say "does this shirt make my bass look fat".
Old 04-02-09, 03:23 PM   #31
jcw1503

I hereby patient the idea...anyone want to go into business.
Old 04-02-09, 03:40 PM   #32
1/4 stick

Me thinks if you aint swiming after you fill the livewell, salright...on a steeck.
Old 04-02-09, 03:42 PM   #33
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Jeff Dunham???? On a Steeeck
Old 04-02-09, 05:10 PM   #34
bamabassman

i think ya'll forgot to think about the amount of water that goes out due to the fish coming in. incoming fish will release some of the water right?

and ya'll ALL have too much time at work. geesh, i work outside, in a truck or with a shovel. ya'll are making me wonder what your bosses would say if they know what you all were doing on THIER time, hahahahaha. jelous.....yes i am.
Old 04-02-09, 05:24 PM   #35
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ya'll ALL have too much time at work. geesh, i work outside, in a truck or with a shovel. ya'll are making me wonder what your bosses would say if they know what you all were doing on THIER time, hahahahaha. jelous.....yes i am.
i was off work today so i guess the rest of these guys have the explaining to do haha.
Old 04-02-09, 05:51 PM   #36
flbassman

I don't have any math classes this semester, so this just counted as my daily mind blowing.
Old 04-02-09, 05:54 PM   #37
lowrider

ahhhhh the joys of being a state employee
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 06:45 PM   #38
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
Jeff Dunham???? On a Steeeck
Yeas, the jalapeno....on a steeck.
Old 04-03-09, 02:47 PM   #39
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, I just kind of skimmed, but C-rig, if a fish you put in your livewell takes up X amount of space, then X amount of water will be removed from your livewell. when you're talking weight, if that same fish weighed Ylbs, and the water it displaced weighed Ylbs, then the weight would stay the same. if you fish weighed more than the water it replaced, you'd gain weight. And if the fish weighed less than the water is displaced, you lose weight.

As for the weight of air: it is VERY hard to get the exact weight, because of the large mixture of elements in the "air". If we were speaking just oxygen, it's be easy to figure out. but the air contains mostly Oxygen and Nitrogen. But it also contains Hydrogen, Argon, CO2 and some more stuff. So it'd be very hard to tell the exact weight.

BB
Old 04-04-09, 02:47 AM   #40
CCbass

The reality is its a matter of density as compared to displacement of water. Drop a three pound lead weight into your livewell, yes you are almost three pounds heavier, the water displassed will be a matter of ouces and very few at that. Air does not displace density nearly as much as water, think of gravity, we weigh 165 on earth, a fraction of that on the moon. There is for sure a formula for the actual wieght added pure fish wieghed on a scale and added to your live well but it will for sure be much less then the fishes actual weight.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 01:43 AM   #41
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
The reality is its a matter of density as compared to displacement of water. Drop a three pound lead weight into your livewell, yes you are almost three pounds heavier, the water displassed will be a matter of ouces and very few at that. .
yes but a 3lb piece of lead would not displace near as much water as a 3lb fish because it is not near as big. so wouldn't this also be a matter of displacement?
Old 04-06-09, 07:42 AM   #42
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
Yes the weight is added to it but not the entire weight of the fish...because some of the water will be displaced.... so the entire weight of the water and the fish will not be carried but I have no clue how to figure how much water will displace.....
this is zactly on the money. a 5 lb rock is a 5lb rock weather its in the water or in a tree. the gravity in the water olny makes it seem lighter
Old 04-06-09, 02:15 PM   #43
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkies Daddy View Post
this is zactly on the money. a 5 lb rock is a 5lb rock weather its in the water or in a tree. the gravity in the water olny makes it seem lighter
but the 5lb rock would sink to the bottom, thus touching the boat. a 5lb fish would be suspended in the water and not touching the boat so are you actually carrying the weight of the fish? not disagreeing, just wondering that's all. man it's funny how long this has been going and how many people are stating opinions on it.
Old 04-06-09, 02:20 PM   #44
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
but the 5lb rock would sink to the bottom, thus touching the boat. a 5lb fish would be suspended in the water and not touching the boat so are you actually carrying the weight of the fish? not disagreeing, just wondering that's all. man it's funny how long this has been going and how many people are stating opinions on it.
The water is in fact supported some of the weight of the fish. However, the livewell is supported the water and the boat is supporting the livewell. SO the BOAT would see the additional 20 lbs of weight from the fish (excluding any water lost due to the overflow valve).
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 02:25 PM   #45
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
<snip>additional 20 lbs of weight from the fish<snip>
There you go with that faulty 20 lbs supposition again...
Old 04-06-09, 07:52 PM   #46
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
besides, when does c-rig have 20lbs in the well?? ha ha ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
There you go with that faulty 20 lbs supposition again...
LOL
No kidding! let's be a little more realistic with our numbers here... LOL

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 10:29 PM   #47
barkelypup

Ok if you add the fish to the live well the weight of the fish will be added to total weight of the boat minus what ever water runs out the over flow. I'm not liquid pychologist and I didn't even stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night but weight is weight. There is no way to negate it unless you start throwing stuff over board. It's kinda like this. If you are standing on the back of the boat and pee over the side does the front of the boat sink lower in the water?

Quote:
it's not the same though. a fish will raise the water level and in a 5 gallon bucket will weigh more. however in a livewell when the water raises it runs out the overfill drain so you are losing the wight of the water the fish displaces. i think the same thing goes for the flw weigh-in theory. one thing i don't understand about the flw weigh-ins is how they get accurate weights when a fish should weigh less in water than it would out of water.

i agree that we are thinking too hard about this but it was fun to get all the "smart" people at work scratching their heads over this question.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 05:37 PM   #48
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
The water is in fact supported some of the weight of the fish. However, the livewell is supported the water and the boat is supporting the livewell. SO the BOAT would see the additional 20 lbs of weight from the fish (excluding any water lost due to the overflow valve).
Bingo, zactly, right on the money
Old 04-09-09, 05:39 PM   #49
Stinkies Daddy

Talking

[quote=barkelypup;240508]Ok if you add the fish to the live well the weight of the fish will be added to total weight of the boat minus what ever water runs out the over flow. I'm not liquid pychologist and I didn't even stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night but weight is weight. There is no way to negate it unless you start throwing stuff over board. It's kinda like this. If you are standing on the back of the boat and pee over the side does the front of the boat sink lower in the water?[/quote]

Using this logic, if you paint a room in your house does it get smaller
Old 04-09-09, 06:59 PM   #50
BassinID

Good q, by the principal of gravity the weight of the water pushes every infinitesimal speck of the boat downwards the equal amount of its weight (240lbs). And the water pushes back up with the same force as the weight of the boat and its contents. By a major principal of fluid dynamics something will not sink in water unless it is more dense than that water, but that doesn't mean that it isn't adding weight. You would at that point add the weight of the bass and the weight of the water to get the total weight in the live well. Technically though if your livewell is at full capacity at 30 gallons and you add 5 fish the volume of the fish will displace the same amount of water as the fish have in body volume. Since the fish are composed of about 70% water, like humans, the other 30 % is lighter than the water, therefore by adding some nice bass you would effectively lighten the load on the boat hull as compared to just water in the livewell, this being said, it wouldn't be much, but it may help you get back to the weigh in a second or two earlier.
P.S. Sorry, Im kinda nerdy for a bass fisherman, but I feel that it helps me on the water cuz I analyze everything
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.