Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-09, 03:01 PM   #1
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06
Default 1984 Camaro Sports Coupe

kind of a continuation from my good deal thread, except, here are the pics.

Old 12-08-09, 03:15 PM   #2
MrPhotographer06

it only has 1st and 2nd but it still moves on pretty good for a V6.

I've been dirt roading it the last couple of days.
Its still got to have a Tranny [got a freebie from an S10 i've gotta get wednesday]
Interior work-carpets disgusting so clean it up, maybe replace it,
Paint interior trim metalic red
New speedo cable
Electric stuff upgraded such as new headlight switch,and upgrade to LEDs in dash
New Dash Pad
Seat Covers
New hood
Paint

not that big
Old 12-08-09, 10:36 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I love the spare tire mount photog, lol. For real man, a nice fixer upper. Not a lot of body work to do which is a huge plus. I am sure that you can get her back in showroom form in no time pal. Congrats.
Old 12-09-09, 10:04 AM   #4
Bender

It's been many years, but I remember riding "the hump" many times in Camaros and TransAms. Not comfy.
Should be a good project with lots of parts available.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 07:09 PM   #5
Bassboss

Slick looking car man!!

I really like the color as is though, just needs gloss and glitter!
Old 12-11-09, 11:06 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06

got the int cleaned out, got rid of the BS rigged wiring for the 4th gen power seat, and took the glasspack off..well it "fell" off cause it wasnt clamped on.. it had a like 1 1/2 adapter to 2 1/2" or so, and not clamped.. and no exhaust hangers, so when i went around this dirt road curve, it swang loose.. Must have been pulling some major G's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsUib4ssZwM

theres the after vid. i intend on a cherry bomb, or a flowmaster to go back.

Found a tranny for it, for free.. just gotta go pull it out an S10.
Got my INT door handle, got the doors working good. Found out i need a new pull bracket for the E-brake,and the speedo needs a new cable, the cable end is pullling out the other end. i may be able to fix it, but i didnt have time today.Also needs a new exhaust hanger by the cat.
Cleaned the carb some today with some carb cleaner, so i think i'll be okay.
Going to get oil change stuff tommorrow, and an air filter, since it dosent have one and some fuel treatment. when it gets close to empty, it wants to spit and sputter a good bit after you put new gas in it, so hopefully some STP will get it without having to pull the tank.
Lost a center cap in the process of driving it around ,but i'll find another. Now i've gotta find a good donor car to start pulling int parts out, and some weatherstripping, to save me some $$

Pics tommorrow.
Old 12-13-09, 12:26 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

i know for sure, that the front seats reclining is a must, cause there is noooo backseat.. only other option is to let the back seat down...
Old 12-17-09, 01:42 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
only other option is to let the back seat down
LOL....Thats what I did in my 67 fastback Mustang
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 03:55 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

yeah, theres enough room for my 13 year old brother to fit..

but anyway, no real new updates. gotta go get a speedo cluster here soon, found one at the pull-a-part, they were closing and i couldnt get it out.
I'm gonna go over monday morning and see what i can get.
Picked up a 95 Z71 today for 500 bucks, with the same problem.
So now the yard looks like a junk yard. its got a 95 z71,84 camaro, 88 dakota, 85 diplomat and a 92 buick in it

Went and looked at an S10 today, that i'm getting the tranny out of tommorrow. i figure free is a good price He's gonna flip it on its side tommorrow, and let me take the tranny out that way
So hopefully, on christmas i'll have the new tranny in, if it dosent rain.
Old 12-20-09, 10:02 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

got the transmission all but pulled out.. the guy couldnt find his breaker bar, and i didnt have my tools, but were torque converter bolts, and bell housing bolts away from having the tranny out.
Got a busy schedule tommorrow..
Gonna go pull that, then go to napa and get a tail shaft seal, then go to the pull-a-part and get the cluster, dome light cover, and i'll see what else.

Then comming back, and gonna figure out where i'm gonna put my car to drop the tranny at, and get it in that position. Probally wont drop it then, but get ready to. I believe were going to jack the front and rear up and put it on cinder blocks in the back yard. probally3-4 high should be good enough.

Now the real quest. a guy on a 3rd gen f-body forum came up with this idea, and i like it, so i'm gonna try it. Depending on how much pull-a-part wants for a front clip, will determine how soon. I need one anyway, since mines all cracked, and i'll get the headlight support panel too, since mines broke, and hopefully it'll go as a "unit" and they'll think its one piece

Then, if it works, i'll pull mine, then put the new one on, and start hacking away at the old, making it look like this.

It resembles the 5th gen front a little, and i'm gonna try it.

I figure i can still use the plastic from what i cut out to make the bottom piece, and i'll have to find some sort of grille to go behind it, and fit against the headlight support panel.
If your unsure what i mean by headlight support panel,

that'll clarify for you..

what yall think?

Last edited by MrPhotographer06; 12-20-09 at 10:11 PM.
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 03:36 AM   #11
MrPhotographer06

wow, havent posted in a while...

Got the tranny in, and cant get the TV cable adjusted, so its just sitting for now, waiting on the 350 swap.

I pulled the front clip earlier today and gonna work on getting it sanded up and bondo'd smooth with the stress cracks, then figure something out about the foglights. Also pulled that puke spoiler off it, and its got 8 holes in it!. gotta weld those up.. then put some more in it for the wrap-around spoiler. I'm gonna try and get the 90-92 one cause i like the fat one better. probally fill the 3rd brake light hole. or snag the wiring.
Also found some aluminum aftermarket louvers on a car, that someones driving. wants 50 bucks.. good price?

Talked to the guy i've been waiting to catch up with that builds motors.. said he's got enough in the shop laying around that we can build a right nice setup that will move... free of charge for the parts from him, i've just gotta put some labor in around the shop not a bad deal i dont think. Gonna go look at some stuff on monday afternoon. once i get that, i might even see if i can take the car down to his shop to do the swap, so it'll be easier to work on. i know he had an extra lift bay last time i was there a few weeks ago.

Now to find a 700r4 that'll work, and i'm going to town.
Cant wait to get something going for it! Wahoooo!
Old 01-17-10, 11:04 AM   #12
bamabassman

Photog, i like the new front grill. It does look meaner this way. Go for it pal.
Old 01-17-10, 02:35 PM   #13
MrPhotographer06

only complication with that is the hood latch.. i'd have to go with a hinge pin set up for it, and i'm not sure how i'll like that.. but we'll see as we go along..

i'm still thinking now on how i can do it and leave the stock hood latch setup..
Old 01-17-10, 07:28 PM   #14
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin

Cool deal man, I am a sucker for the third gens (mullets). I recently sold my 91 RS with the peepee L03 305. I ran a 150 shot through it for about a year with no issues other than a lifter tick, the L03 is a TANK of a motor, and really held up to me beatin on her. It was fun picking on Lightnings though
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 08:32 PM   #15
CMorg

Can you put an 88-87 Z28 front end , ground effects and wing on say an 82 plain jane camaro ? I may decide to rework one of these myself...The 82 has a V6 by the way. Can you do a V8 engine swap ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 11:32 PM   #16
MrPhotographer06

yes to all of that.. my camaro is the plain jane camaro. the Sports Coupe.. no ground effects or spoiler..

the effects will bolt on. the only thing is i think the sports coupes have a little different stance than the z's did.. seems like the back end is a little higher, but that may be just the way it looks without effects.

I'll be doing the V8 swap from the V6 as well. I'll have a step by step process as well, but if your serious about doing it, then check out www.thirdgen.org/

and hit up the techboard.. then look for Engine Swap, then they have a V6 to V8 sticky.

game plan for tommorrow is try and get something going in the engine direction, so i'm gonna go by the shop and see if the guys there. if he isnt, or if he is, after work i'm gonna start by getting the bumper stripped down to just the bumper and get the headlight panel out and stuff. Then probally will order the panel later this week.

I'm gonna try and get the bumper sanded down in the major stress cracked areas and then decide what i'm going to fill it with tuesday. i'll be free tuesday so i should have a little progress towards the bumper. Then hopefully by the end of the week, my dad will have his welder [or maybe were splitting it] and i'll trying to get some arrangements for getting the motor out..
Old 01-18-10, 09:24 AM   #17
CMorg

Im pretty sure your not going to have an easy time filling that front end with anything. It is plastic and flexes therefore anything you use must also be flexible in order to stay. I know they make plastic welders , if I were you I would consider having it welded.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 04:22 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

i've been told by the body shop guy that they use a 2 part epoxy...

Hungout with the motor man today.. he said we'll look tommorrow, and see what we can find round the shop.. said he knows he has a few blocks, but gotta see what kind of pistons we've got round the shop.. said probally has a set of .040's or .060's over that i could get ,and then we'd decide on the block then on to the crank

then i've gotta get out and find some vortec heads, and a tranny. he said dont waste time on a 700r4 but get the conversion kit for the th350. said the parts are cheeper ,and easier to fix.
Old 02-03-10, 12:48 AM   #19
MrPhotographer06

got my new DD, a 2001 grand prix gt coupe

Well heres the stuff up to 2/2/10

Got a motor that was in a truck..4 bolt main. it has the small valve truck heads which we arent gonna use anyway.
The block already has a double roller timing chain on it so we figured its probally already hopped up.. he said he got it on a trade from a guy for some labor.

So far, ive got the heads off, and it dropped two valves on the same cylinder, but it dosent seem to have scarred the wall too bad.
Got two pistons out today, and found out its .030 over already. Hopefully thursday i can get it out in the floor and get the crank turned to get the other pistons out. then onto see what crank we've got. With the timing chain done, it probally has a decent cam already too, but we'll see.

Got told today that he might have found me some heads.
i said where and how much, he says oh, dont worry about that.. just stick around and help me get what i need done, and i'll supply you with some stuff, ya hear? so i've already got a motor to start with and basically what i want with the variation of cam, which he probally has what i'd like.
The only thing im probally gonna have to find is a vortech intake since they are a little different. and i've been told its easier to just find one than try and make a regular one work..
Old 02-04-10, 11:02 PM   #20
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

not bad for a cheap project... personally I would prefer a mid 70s or older Camaro, something this body style or older

screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 05:46 PM   #21
MrPhotographer06

thats the 71-81 camaro.

Overall thats my favorite camaro. i'll have one one day, but this project seemed like a more afforadable project in highschool
Old 02-19-10, 02:40 AM   #22
MrPhotographer06

Well i made the decision today to stick with the 350. i'll keep the money instead of putting the 383 stuff in, put it into the intake/heads..

Today, i got the rest of the pistons out, and the crank out.. the crank looks okay.

The dropped valve grenaded the top of that piston of course but the cyl walls dont look too bad. After talking today we decided to go to about .040 over. he thinks we have some pistons in the shop that are 40's.

Tommorrow, i'm going to go down for a lil while and get the cam out and drop the block in the vat. He said we wont fire up the gas, but just let it sit till monday and then we'll see what we got. Also tommorrow we'll press out the rods and get them cleaned up a bit. I'm excited to get something done on it! wahoo
Old 02-19-10, 03:31 AM   #23
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

I would love to find a hard top third gen. I despised the t tops. I was planning on doing an LS1 swap into mine before I sold it. I am really considering taking another shot at it. Go pick on some GT's with it.
Old 02-19-10, 10:38 AM   #24
MrPhotographer06

go for it.. head over to www.thirden.org and hit up the mesage boards. theres a category for the LSX/LTX swaps
Old 02-19-10, 11:57 PM   #25
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

I lurked that board for years. They are hands down the most knowledgeable when it comes to the TBI system I had. Some very smart people on that forum.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.