Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-11, 04:21 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Let the Grillin' begin!

Well, now that winter is over (or at least coming to an end, I hope), it's time to start grilling! (not that snow and freezing temps ever really stopped me).

So here's my recipe for Smokey Grilled Chicken

What you need:

- Enough chicken to feed guests (I use legs and thighs for this recipe)
- My signature Smokey Poultry Seasoning
--- 4 parts smoked paprika
--- 2 parts onion powder
--- 2 parts mustard powder
--- 2 parts dried thyme
--- 1 part cumin
--- 1 part cayenne pepper (can substitute chili powder or chipotle pepper powder for different flavors)
--- 1 part salt
--- 1 part black pepper
- Olive Oil
- Canola Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Smoker or a grill w/ a smoker box.
- Your favorite wood chips

Mix up the Smokey Poultry Seasoning. Place in a ziploc bag big enough to hold your chicken (you can use 2 bags if you're making lots of chicken). Add a couple to a few tablespoons of olive oil to the seasoning in the bag and mix it together. Place chicken in the bag, close bag, and mix up until chicken is evenly coated. You can even let this marinate for a few hours or overnight for a more intense flavor (I prefer to just coat the chicken so as to not overpower the delicious smokey flavor from the grill)

Make a mop to spray/baste the chicken with while cooking to keep it moist. I like a simple 60% Apple Cider Vinegar, 40% Canola Oil (light olive oil can be used too) mop, but you can add things like Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, etc. You can keep it in a bowl and baste it on with a brush, but I like to keep it in a spray bottle and just spray the chicken (be careful, it's flammable!).

Start the grill and put it on low. If you're using a grill with a smoker box (which is recommended, as this is Grilled Smokey Chicken after all, or just use a smoker if you don't have a grill w/ a smoker box) wait to add the wood chips until you put the chicken on. You want the temperature about 300-325. I cook them for about an hour or until an internal temp of 180. I flip every 15 minutes or so and mop them every time I flip them. I will also refill the smoker box with wood chips once about halfway through the cooking. I find twice is enough to give them that delicious smokey flavor. If they're not nice and golden brown (which is why it's best to use a grill with a smoker box), turn up the heat the last few minutes to brown them, but watch for flare ups.

Here it is served up with coleslaw, green beans (cooked with bacon, of course), and oven roasted sweet potato fries.

I hope I made you all hungry,
BB

P.S. sorry for the crap cell phone pics.

Last edited by BigBassin144; 03-14-11 at 04:28 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 05:00 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Almost fired up the smoker yesterday myself......now I'm hating that I didn't!!!

Did make some fresh Mozzarella though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0633.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	6361  
Old 03-14-11, 05:07 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Dang, that looks good! Tomatoes suck right now, but add some of them and some fresh basil to that and you'll have a nice caprese.

I think it's only fair that since I posted my recipe, you post yours!

BB
Old 03-14-11, 05:13 PM   #4
bamabassman

alright,alright........ya'll better stop it now. i got a boston butt and a pork shoulder int he freezer. don't make me send pics of em. jsut telln ya...............
Old 03-14-11, 05:27 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Go ahead and send em john! I've got a few racks of ribs in the freezer I can retaliate with!

BB
Old 03-14-11, 05:41 PM   #6
Bassboss

Wow, looks really good! Although I'm nota fan a sweet tater fries.. I prefer 'em baked or foil wrapped on the grill.
Old 03-14-11, 05:54 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Dang, that looks good! Tomatoes suck right now, but add some of them and some fresh basil to that and you'll have a nice caprese.

I think it's only fair that since I posted my recipe, you post yours!

BB
No problem
1 gallon milk
1.5 tspn citric acid
.5 tab of rennet

Heat milk and citric acid to 90-110 degrees. Remove from heat cut curds and add rennet, mix or stir for 2 min. Heat again. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Remove cheese (add salt). Knead cheese. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Knead again. Done.

I'll see your ribs and raise you a beef brisket. It's got pastrami written all over it!!!!
Old 03-14-11, 06:19 PM   #8
keithdog

That looks freakin awsome BB!!! Those picks have me droolin like a mastif in a butcher shop!!!

Last edited by keithdog; 03-14-11 at 09:10 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 07:59 PM   #9
bamabassman

bwaaahahahahahaha keith. i like that one man.

anthony, i got ribs too, pork shoulder, boston butt, ribs and chicken. OH and some flounder and shrimp too. shrimp is too small for the grill though. gotta get my brother-out-law to get me some grilling size shrimp. thinking ka-bobs for the shrimp and steak. whadda ya think?
Old 03-14-11, 08:10 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Well John, I've got a few Cornish Hens, and those ribs, and probably some steaks...

I'm gonna have to call my chef buddy to hook me up with some shrimp, sushi grade tuna, and sorts of other good stuffs

The war is on!

BB
Old 03-14-11, 08:43 PM   #11
bamabassman

HEY!!! i forgot that we had a couple of hens too. THANKS FOR REMINDING ME ANTHONY. i am serious about the ka-bobs now, how would YOU do them? asking for some recipe of oyurs. lol.
the hens........got to get out the ronco SET IT AND FORGET IT for those. hahahaha. char rub in em, MMMMMMMMMM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.