Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-09-12, 03:08 PM   #1
luisugueto
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1989 Tracker Pro 17 Steering Cable

Hello,

I tried the search function and didnt come up with any helpful existing threads.

Our tracker's cable was worn out so it needed replacement. It was removed from the boat and brought home (the boat is at the fishing camp some 12 hours away from here, 4 of those off road)

I know very very little about boats, just the basics on how to fix them. I know nothing about how the steering works. The numbers on the cable are impossible to read (this thing has 22 years of use on it). I took it down to a marine store where they told me they can get any steering cable for me but they need to know the exact length of the cable. Now, problem is, I was told that the length is calculated measuring it while on the boat, and seeing as how mine was uninstalled im screwed.

I have had no luck trying to reach tracker and phone calls are complicated since I live in Venezuela, they have a live chat feature since it didnt work and they have no email contact.

Does anybody know what length cable does the '89 Tracker Pro 17 need??

Anybody who has replaced it or happen to know, Ill take any help I can at the moment since i have been unsuccessful at finding any information regarding the freaking cable.

Thanks in advance!!
luisugueto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 03:15 PM   #2
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All I do know...you will wish that you didn't pull that one out until you installed the new one.
Old 07-09-12, 03:25 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Measure it other cable will want to be same length,better than the boat measurement is have the cable in hand and measure,and yes years later a bit hard to read cable length so tape measure it.And just about any dealer or mfg thereof could tell you what length to put on a 17 ft tracker boat.So even if cable is hrs away ask Tracker.
Somewhere ive got a spare teleflex for a 17 1/2 boat and yes can be a tad long like 1 ft or so.
Average stock cable is long enough to reach when one puts a 6 to 8 in jp on
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:03 PM   #4
luisugueto
BassFishin.Com Member

From where to where should I tape-measure the cable?

Its got a steel rod in one end and about a foot of cable sticking out of the housing on the other end.

I've had a really tough time trying to talk to Tracker, and the only Venezuelan dealer is around 8hrs away and wont answer their freaking phone!!

Hope you guys can help me!

Last edited by luisugueto; 07-10-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 08:15 PM   #5
nobass

try this . they are part of tracker marine group. they ship world wide there email address is
www.costomerservice@greatlakesskipper.com
found them with goggle search tracker boats parts

hope this will help
Old 07-11-12, 07:25 AM   #6
lilmule

One end to the other complete,end of steel rod to end of cable.
Is it a teleflex cable?
If its a little to long will tuck or bend in boat like as in extra stored,if its to short wont hook up of no use.
They are not cheap.
As a guestimate measure from gunwhale to far side of motor,then from gunwale to console then over to far side of wheel,add it all together then add 1 ft,see if it comes out the same as measuring entire cable and bar.I just measured my 17 1/2 ft hdyrosport it came out 12 ft even add 1 ft most in this size range would have like 13 ft.again not being brand specific,and tracker also made stick steering as well as wheel steering.
Again Tracker would best source of info,is the hold function down there with reggae music?

Last edited by lilmule; 07-11-12 at 07:51 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 01:09 PM   #7
luisugueto
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks so much for all your help!! appreciate it!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.