Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-05, 07:06 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default all you younger guys read this

friday the 23 of december four teenage boys loaded camping/hunting gear in a 12 foot jon boat. packing a small out board. they were about mid stream in a creek in upper high rock lake -swearing creek - when the boat capsized 3 guys came to the surface the 4th never came up. after 2 days they found and recovered his remains. the sad part is the boy was 14 there was no life vests in the vessel.

i know there is a bunch of kids on this site around this age.. if you are in a boat of any kind wear your life vest. the ones that lived got lucky and there yells were heard by a man living near by. in this area there is alot of seasonal cabins were this time of year that are vacant.. the water temps were 38 or so. hypotherma is preasent after 3 mintues at this water temp.

what caused the boat to flip? who knows. there is a ton of flood trash in the lake right now.

zooker
Old 12-27-05, 08:58 PM   #2
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Must have advice Zooker. This time of the year you got to be extremely carefull if you are on the water. Always use the buddy system too and tell people where you are going and what time you will be home. GOOd advice.
Old 12-28-05, 02:54 PM   #3
Sluggo Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Life vests make it that much easier to swim... and since it's so hard to swim in freezing water (been there, done that), it's very good advice.

The only times I go life-vestless in a canoe are in the summer on days I feel good. I'm usually hot enough to enjoy a good swim anyways.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 03:49 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob

it's not just the cold water to worry about either. i know around here, many of the lakes are so chock full of weeds, if your boat capsizes, the only way you're getting back to shore is with a life vest. it doesn't take much to get tangled up and engulfed in the weeds. some lakes have such a muddy bottom there is literally no way you're walking to shore. if you try it you're likely going to end up getting stuck in the mud.
Old 12-28-05, 04:43 PM   #5
bassinbob

Zooker, not only is this good advice for the youngsters but it applies to everyone else also. I am a fireman and sad to say I have been part of many river rescues. Many times it's not a rescue but a river dragging for the body of someone who wasn't wearing a life vest. A lot of the younger drownings are also those who thought they could make it across the river and didn't. If you can't swim stay away from fast moving water where you are not sure of the bottom. Don't listen to someone dare you to try to swim if you can't or think you can. Even in shallow water it is possible to drown if you capsize. Use your brains and guys like me won't be pulling your body to shore for the coroner to pronounce dead. Strong words but it isn'y pretty seeing that or loved ones waiting on shore.

Bob
Old 12-28-05, 05:58 PM   #6
zooker

well the area- from my knowlage of that creek- is 25+feet deep. when the lake is above full pond as it is now. there is all kinds of crap floating in it every thing from hallweenie pumkins to empty 20 pound ropane tanks. trees from limds to whole trees including roots..you would do a whole lot of duckin and divin to miss most of it..

rodman weeds do not play apart in this lake...

zooker
Old 12-28-05, 10:15 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Very good advice. I don't like to wear traditional life vests any better than the next guy, so I invested in Sospenders. When I am on the water I wear them, and truth be told I don't even know I have them on. It is a lot easier to wear a PFD when it is so comfortable you don't realize you are wearing one.
Old 12-29-05, 05:46 PM   #8
bassnman30

Zook, I'm not sure if you know Jason,(my nephew) but all these guys were friends of his.
Old 12-29-05, 06:51 PM   #9
zooker

weve meet remember...

zooker
Old 12-29-05, 08:04 PM   #10
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
so I invested in Sospenders.
I dont know if it's just my school's fishing team or not but they wont let anyone under 16 wear sospender life vests. I guess i gotta wait another year.
Old 12-30-05, 06:45 PM   #11
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Life vests and a sound device are key. I am 15 and lucky enough to be on the swim team.
Old 12-31-05, 09:45 AM   #12
crankybait

lucky for me, i cant afford a boat, and that means i cant afford to drown! but if i ever did get a boat, id make sure i was wearing a life vest... darwinawards.com, an site that gives awards to people who die in bizarre and crazy ways for taking their stupidy out of the gene pool. survival of the fittest. its good to be the fittest
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 02:14 AM   #13
Bender

That type of story scares me every time I hear it. I am a good swimmer but it is a whole lot different when you are fully clothed and not expecting it. Also you could whack your head when you fall in and then you are done. I will look for a sospender for next year since I would actually wear that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 01:31 PM   #14
KH.

one day this year the life jacket might of saved my life.water was real cold,but iwas still fishin.i was fishing in a jon boat because the lake was 5 feet down and a lot of stumps were exsposed.it was getting dark and i was on my home.then i heard something under my boat and i stopped,my motor was running but i wasnt moving,i was over a good size log.i did everything i could to get that boat off but nothing,i was in a the middle of lake too(around 75 acres).so after an hour and in pitch black night i jumped and started swimming.there was no way i could have swim all that way without a life jacket.
Old 01-01-06, 01:41 PM   #15
JB

Most guys will run with a life jacket on and take it off once they start fishing, its a comfort thing...the closest calls I've ever seen is when the trolling motor is set on warp speed and is positioned to a 90 degree angle from the direction your going, and the sudden motion (unexpected direction) throws the guy in the back off the deck.
#2 reason is probably hitting a object while going down the bank fishing, and finally the 3rd reason people get thrown in is either reaching for something leaning over the boats edge, or a guy that sets the hook so hard it rocks the boat.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 02:11 PM   #16
KH.

the 3rd reason people get thrown in is either reaching for something leaning over the boats edge,[/quote]

that happened to my dad in the same boat i used,god do i hate that boat
Old 01-01-06, 04:09 PM   #17
crankybait

come to the shore... the safe side
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 11:50 PM   #18
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

very true. great advice. im 16. when i go trout fishing in the blue ridge mountains, i raft alot too, and get out of the raft for a swim. i can tell you that wearing a life jacket especially those new ones with the head cushions make a HUGE difference. in whitewater or calm water.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 02:07 AM   #19
bass kicker

the only time in the boat i dont ware a life jacket is when we are trollin and when we are usinthe trollin motor

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.