Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-06, 05:49 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Heard it from a friend, or learn about it on tv?

I am pretty sure just about all the basic stuff I learned from bassfishing, I learned from several well seasoned anglers..i.e. techniques, depth and lure selection. The rest I think I learned from time on the water..i.e. feeding and migration throughout the year..
So this got me wondering about our many discussions about line. When I started brand meant nothing to me, probably was only concerned about test and how much it cost..then my bass buddies all told me to fish with stren, which i stuck with for years until i got a big spool of trilene and switched..then lucky for me, I joined this forum and was informed about all the better types and brands of line to get.
Word of mouth seems to fit right in with most anglers...sure you can see them peddling wares on tv and brands, but a fellow angler endorcement after seeing their success ratio on landing bass, is hard to beat.
The same goes for lures, ya see a guy using a lure, you have to go out and buy one, then 9 times out of 10 the pattern has changed and it takes weeks to finally get the "new lure" to produce..but again its word of mouth.

Some brands that come to mind were the berkely power baits, everyone was comparing notes after they came out, I listened to guys talk about what color worked well at dif lakes, keep in mind that this was a "new look" and smell to us anglers, we all were used to oily manns worms or culrpits, or the salt Zooms..
No matter how much I see a guy like bill dance catching one after another on his new lure, I'll always stick to co anglers advise on what to use, over a guy on tv!
case in point this year. the paca craws and zoom vibra craw..i hard heard of neither because I was never a trend sitter in tackle, plus to cheap to buy anything new till a few years ago, but a great recommendation by zooker, and lizards made me buy some, and the last two "big uns" of the season were caught on these plastics, site fishing in april.
I say "keep your ears open', and read whats working on the forum posts~
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.