Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-06, 12:24 AM   #1
Super Fluke
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talking Swimbait rod

What is a good swimbait rod, a huddelston for example.
Old 12-21-06, 02:04 AM   #2
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

Huddlestons are pretty heavy baits, and you really need a dedicated swimbait rod to effectively throw them. Up until this year, I was using a Rogue 807 swimbait rod, and it was just too light for the Hudd. It works great for the Mission Fish, and Osprey type baits, but the big wood plugs and heavy weighted baits like the Hudd just overload that rod. I felt like on the cast the rod was going to break. I didn't want to spend a hughe chunk of money on a rod for just one bait, so I didn't get the 808 Rogue, but instead went twith the 7'11" Okuma Guide Select X-Heavy swimbait rod for about half what the Rogue runs for. I haven't thrown the Hudd with it yet, but I'm sure it will be much more appropriate than the lighter rod I was using. Shimano has a couple real nice swimbait rods in the Crucial lineup that I almost got instead. When I first started using the swimbaits, I thought I could get away with one stick for them, but have found that to be effective with a variety of swimbaits, I'm up to three different rods for different baits. For the 4-5 inch baits like the R2S, Storms, and Calcuttas I use a 7' heavy rod that you could also get away with for throwing frogs and rats. A flippin stick with a fairly soft tip could also work for those baits. For the Mission fish(6 to 9 inch) and Osprey (7 to 9 inch)type baits which are not all that heavy, the Rogue 807 is definitely the ticket, but those bigger baits definitely require a more substantial rod.

Good luck and happy shopping.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 06:22 AM   #3
pig n jig

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...MA-OGSBBR.html
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 08:57 PM   #4
Super Fluke

Thanks, I will be getting my rod from bass pro shop, my friend works for bass pro so I can get rods half off.
Old 12-25-06, 02:42 PM   #5
Super Fluke

I got my dad a hudd today, I can't wait until spring to fish it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.