Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-07, 07:03 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The sensitivity factor in a rod

We have all heard that better rods offer greater sensitivity and notion is generally accepted.

I commented in a few other posts that I was quite surprised at how sensitive the Berkley Cherrywood rod was, especially for its price and indeed, it is sufficiently sensitive, even for drop shotting.

I have a rod designed for drop shot and other finesse techniques, a Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special rod and I know it is an ultra-sensitive rod. However, I haven’t fished with it for quite some time and had forgotten about how well this rod transmits the feedback to me of what is happening on the far end of my line.

Two Fridays ago, only having the Cherrywood rod, I still managed to read the bottom terrain well and feel the strikes and thereby catching some bass.

Then this past Friday, I had my DS rod with me and I realized just how sensitive the rod really is.

This might be a poor analogy but here it goes:

The Berkley Cherrywood rod is a good rod with a decent amount of sensitivity. It is leaps and bounds over my first $19.99 Wal-Mart special combo. In terms of sound, the Wal-Mart special equate to mono-audio and the Cherrywood Stereo.

So back to the last Friday. As soon as my DS weight hit bottom and I dragged the weight, my hands couldn’t take information. If the Berkley Cherrywood rod offered stereo sound, Holy Smokes! My Lamiglas was giving me the same show in THX, cinema worthy!!! You ever watch a DVD movie through the TV and the through a Home Theatre system? You will hear and feel things that you couldn’t if you heard it only through the speakers of the television. That is exactly how wielding the Lamiglas felt. Fully THX, a complete listening experience!

This is not meant to be a bad mark against the Cherrywood. It is a good rod and I like mine a lot. But after having fished with both rods, I found the difference between the two was very noticeable. I would not hesitate to recommend a Cherrywood rod to anyone whose budget is at this price point.

My dad fished with me this past Friday and he used the Cherrywood rig. I felt a lot more strikes than he, but was that the result of the equipment or does the difference in experience between the two of us play a significant role?

Granted, not all things were equal. The Cherrywood rig he used had 8# Rapala Finesse mono/2500 Shimano Symetre and the Lamiglas rig I used had 6# Sea Guar Invizx/Size 20 Rapala Sxi6 reel.

I will try to go through this test again but use the same reel and line for both.

So I’d like to know where you fall on this. How important is sensitivity? Perhaps with certain applications, it may not be as critical, but for something like drop shotting or finesse fishing, an angler might wish to give himself the best possible chance to feel what the fish is doing on the other end.
Old 05-27-07, 10:51 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Worms, jigs, C-rigs, finesse and dropshotting need sensitive rods. Cranks, spinnerbaits and topwater really don't. So, I use sensitive rods, mostly Falcon LowRiders for those applications and application specific rods-mostly AllStar Classics-for cranks, SBs and TW. I've settled on these rods because they are quality, fit my budget, and are comfortable to use. That said, though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the lower end rods. I haven't fished a Cherrywood rod but I have fished Daiwa Triforce which are similar, and they were good rods for the time I was using them.
Old 05-28-07, 08:05 AM   #3
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It took me a long time to figure this out....but one thing that helps sensitivity is the class of rod I'm using. I mean to say, when moving a lure across the bottom, the sensitivity of a Medium Heavy is much better than a Medium Light. Simply put, the stiffness of the rod helps a great deal along with the particular line used. One of the guys at the baitshop had just gotten his rod and reel back after having had it repaired and handed the outfit to me and at the same time telling me to drop the bullet weight on the floor and walk a few steps....I did. He then asked me to simply drag the weight across the tile floor and tell me what I felt. It was amazing, the line and rod telescoped the tiny cracks in the tile as well as some sand someone had tracked in. I'm sure it was flouro on the baitcaster, and the rod was extrememly stiff.

Now, even though I don't buy upper end stuff, I have switched to a better mono and MH graphite rods.

Just my two cents......good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 01:01 PM   #4
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

no doubt the lamiglass is better.but if you change the cherrywood to the seaguar invizx you'll be surprised how much it picks up that you did not feel before.if you want ultimate sensitivity put sufix braid to a 10 foot seaguar leader and then see how that feels.
Old 05-28-07, 02:57 PM   #5
FlyRod

Exclamation

Moderators
BassFishin.com
2369 E. Kicknbass
Possum Center VA

Sirs,

This post contains the words "Sensitive" and "Rod" in the same sentence.
I find this to be offensive in the extreme. Not only might this negatively impact younger readers, but is certain to hurt the feelings of those whose own rods, for one reason or another, have little or no sensitivity.
While I, for one, am fortunate in that regard, I believe in being considerate of the less fortunate, politely ignoring their handicap.
Therefore, I demand that in future closer screenings and censorship of all postings be rigorously applied.

(What? FISHING RODS???....Ohhhhhhhh)

Never mind.

Fly"Sensy"Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 03:04 PM   #6
3dkicker

Fly - Where's Possum Center VA???? Is it closed to Rednecksburg?? I'ma wondering if they're Wally World is better than hours.
Old 05-28-07, 03:44 PM   #7
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Fly - Where's Possum Center VA???? Is it closed to Rednecksburg?? I'ma wondering if they're Wally World is better than hours.

Where's Possum Center??? You must be jesting.
Look, take BR (Bumpy Road) 549 outta Richmond, turn left at The Jefferson Davis Memorial Sewage Treatment Facility and Moon Pie Factory. Go until you see a large furry fellow sitting on an overturned forklift-looking thingie, eating a raccoon/green 'mater sammich and sippin' a Mountain Dew.
From there, go another five or six miles until you see some guys in gray uniforms marching around singing "Dixie", that'll be VMI. (Thar's furriners thar! Click the danged link!)Turn right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUYX4iQ740

After you go on a piece, there'll be a green barn with a white cow standing around (or a white barn with a green cow, cain't rightly remember which.)
Stop at that farm, knock on the farmhouse door. If a farmer's darlin' daughter answers the door, claim your car has broken down. If a farmer's darlin' son answers the door, well, I won't ask if yew won't tell.
Anyway, in the morning, dodge Papa's buckshot (Serpentine! Serpentine!) and continue until you smell the tempting aroma of chitlin's a-cookin'. That'll be Aunt Granny's Bed, Breakfast, BassPro Affiliate, and Bowling Alley. Now you're in Possum Center.

Enjoy your stay and be sure to visit the local museum, featuring an authentic forgery of Ol' Bob Lee's signature, and the uniform worn by General Jubilation T. Cornpone, CSA, when he led the "Retreat That Became A Rout" in 1864. (disregard the brown stains on the seat of the trousers.)
Fellow general, Festus Q. Culpepper, is reputed to have honored "Ol' Corny" with the famous words..."For Ten Dollars, Confederate, or Fifty Cents in Yankee Currency, I'd shoot that Yaller Bastadge!"
The commander of the victorious Union forces, 2d Lieutenant Attila Rommel FlyRod, was even more complimentary, saying (when he finally stopped laughing,) "Nice pants!" His little troop of Cavalry, all 25 of them, agreed.

Here's a musical tribute to Gen. Cornpone, as performed by the Possum Center High School Drama, Chowder, and Auto Body Repair Club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3cb3Fpzqc

FR
Travel Consultant to The Rich and Famous.

Last edited by FlyRod; 05-28-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 03:54 PM   #8
3dkicker

for the first one and for the second....it got better the second time.
Old 05-28-07, 03:59 PM   #9
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
for the first one and for the second....it got better the second time.
Sorry Sorry For For The The Double Double Post Post

Hit it again, added another link. (VMI)

FR
Old 05-28-07, 05:40 PM   #10
3dkicker

Furriners and the farmers darlin' daughters the last I heared.

FYI - My brother in law attended VMI. He heads to Ft Bragg next week and will be off to the desert again in a month or so. Already did two tours in Afghanistan. Will be gone for a year.
Old 05-29-07, 02:48 AM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
no doubt the lamiglass is better.but if you change the cherrywood to the seaguar invizx you'll be surprised how much it picks up that you did not feel before.if you want ultimate sensitivity put sufix braid to a 10 foot seaguar leader and then see how that feels.
Dodge,

I will be trying that. As for your other proposal, with braid as the main line with an fc leader, now that's just not a fair fight. I'd have to tie one hand behind my back just to make it fair. I've tried that before. It's a great 1-2 punch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.