Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-07, 08:53 PM   #1
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

Default wading in a lake

what bait's does any one carry?and how many of you wade fish?
Old 10-02-07, 09:16 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

You can bring along just about any baits, and as much as you can comfortably carry. Though when having to walk around and shore fish or in this case wade, I'd suggest using baits that have worked well for you at this particular body of water, and all the baits you have confidence in. I'm guessing its pretty chilly up your way, and depending on what the fish have been doing, they may still be shallow. Meaning, and in any case for the matter, you need to be quiet and stealthy moving through the water, and always cast far from where you are, and not anywhere you've been until you give the area ample time to settle after you wade through. Also, you will most likely only be able to carry one rod/reel, meaning that if you feel as though you need to switch baits it will be a pain in the arse, unless using snap-swivels, which leads onto a whole other story about losing fish. I'd suggest going with plastic worms, since you can easily change style and color without much complication. Good luck.
Old 10-02-07, 09:26 PM   #3
bassinbob

I don't wade anymore. I sink too far into the mud. I used to use a trout vest and carry stuff in it. Lot's of pockets for different lures, hooks, etc.
Old 10-02-07, 09:34 PM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Well I havent heard of anyone ever "wading" in a lake, because they are generally deep and have drop offs, or deep mud, etc.. but If you must, take a couple of lures you have confidence in, and watch where you step!!

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 09:43 PM   #5
bassfisher02

I've waded in many lakes, though for hunting and not fishing. There is no such thing as 'deep' here in Florida haha. I've waded straight across a lake one time. Though the lakes I'm reffering to are more marshy, and not your conventional northern lake by any means..
Old 10-02-07, 09:48 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah gaters hate being stepped on don't they 02??

zooker
Old 10-02-07, 09:54 PM   #7
bassfisher02

I've actually had a few close calls, they are usually after the same thing you are... the downed duck. Sometimes they get there before you, sometimes at the same time, but its nothing a well placed shot to the tail can't fix.
Old 10-02-07, 10:05 PM   #8
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yet another reason it's good to be a yankee... LOL
Old 10-14-07, 09:38 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
I've actually had a few close calls, they are usually after the same thing you are... the downed duck. Sometimes they get there before you, sometimes at the same time, but its nothing a well placed shot to the tail can't fix.
the tail.......yeah right, lol.

I find the water mocasins a little....errrr......a lot more agressive than the gators.
Old 10-15-07, 09:22 AM   #10
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I wade fish some. Obviously, not all lakes can be waded. I wear waders year round when wading. That way I don't have to change clothes and dry off before driving home. Like someone else says, get a fly fishing vest. You can put all you need in it. I also rigged some hoops and snaps on the back of the vest and carried two rods at times. One in my hand and one angled across my back from my right hip to my left shoulder. I'm right handed. Use short rods. Wading is not much of a place for a 7 1/2 ft flippin stick. Use whatever soft plastics you've got confidence in and I would usually take a few spinnerbaits and a buzzbait or two. Hard baits with treble hooks can be a pain and take up a lot of space because they have to be boxed. Good luck.
Robert

Oh yeah, if you do use waders, be sure and wear a belt cinched tight around the waste so if you step in a hole, the waders don't fill up with water. Felt soled wading boots are great on rocks too.

Last edited by Jigger; 10-15-07 at 09:25 AM. Reason: forgot something
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 01:06 PM   #11
Mac10

I read somewhere that it's good to take a stepladder with you. Nail a block on each leg making feet about 5 or so inches square.....wade out as far as you dare, set up the ladder and climb so you can still lean on the ladder as you cast farther out. This may work well to fish inside weedlines that are on humps but otherwize too deep on the way out.

Another option, using styrofoam packing as a boat, tie on a rope and hook to your back wader strap to make a floating tackle carrier.

A safety feature is to strap on a belt around your chest over the waders and cinch it up snugly.....in case you step off a ledge, will keep most of he water from rushing in. Also, tying a couple plastic milk jugs to the back of the belt makes a good safety device as far as sinking goes.

I tried the chest belt idea out and it didn't let any water at all in, until I got shallow and stood up, then a goodly amount ran down into the waders once the water pressure was no longer there pushing in on the outside of the waders.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.