Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-09, 11:45 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lure retired

When we all went to Kentucky Lake, the bait monkey made me buy a rootbeer colored shallow running cb.Sense then I've caught about 75 bass-a walleye-a catfish-about 15 tiger perch and a turtle. All on the very same plug, Has you can see it is an equal oppertunity crankbait.

Have any of you retired a lure after having such good luck?
Old 08-07-09, 12:10 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I could only wish for it to come to that point one day. I only retire worms and lizards when they won't hang on the hook anymore hahahaha.
Old 08-07-09, 01:55 AM   #3
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What brand crankbait?
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 02:09 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My lures really only get retired when they go to Davey Jones' Locker. If I love a lure enough to "retire" it, I'm gonna work it until it dies instead hehe.
Old 08-07-09, 02:26 AM   #5
WTL

Say you caught 100 bass on a crankbait, like a bandit 300, and you wanted to retire it. That is a very common model. In theory, you should be able to put the old bandit in a spot of honor, and replace it with the same model, color and go right back to catching fish.

The problem is that isnt necessarily gonna work. Each crankbait, even if its the same model, same factory, everything - each is different. Some are better than others, its not as simple as a magic but when a bait is scarred up its like those sand paper scratch marks make the lure that much better. Monkeying with that is potentially as risky as continuing to throw the original lure.
Old 08-07-09, 04:15 AM   #6
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
My lures really only get retired when they go to Davey Jones' Locker. If I love a lure enough to "retire" it, I'm gonna work it until it dies instead hehe.
Old lures never die, they fade away, as you drive your boat away from the spot you hung it up at.
Old 08-07-09, 07:43 AM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
What brand crankbait?
Bandit 100---Wally world $4.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Say you caught 100 bass on a crankbait, like a bandit 300, and you wanted to retire it. That is a very common model. In theory, you should be able to put the old bandit in a spot of honor, and replace it with the same model, color and go right back to catching fish.

The problem is that isnt necessarily gonna work. Each crankbait, even if its the same model, same factory, everything - each is different. Some are better than others, its not as simple as a magic but when a bait is scarred up its like those sand paper scratch marks make the lure that much better. Monkeying with that is potentially as risky as continuing to throw the original lure.
Yea I thought about that, but thought I take my chances.
Old 08-07-09, 09:05 AM   #8
woody

Maybe you can find it some lite-duty, part-time work, maybe as a Wal-Mart Greeter.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 10:04 AM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Maybe you can find it some lite-duty, part-time work, maybe as a Wal-Mart Greeter.

~Mark
LOL--Na those greeters work to hard for me.
Old 08-07-09, 11:13 AM   #10
3dkicker

I throw all my shallow running crankbaits on heavy line, 17lb+, and carry a 18' extendable lure retriever. Haven't lost one in a long time. Last crank I lost was a Firetiger Deep Wee R that helped me win some $$$ back in '99. That was a sweet crank!
Old 08-07-09, 11:16 AM   #11
zooker

i have several bandit 100 that are retired...they are one of the best shallow crankbait designs i have ever seen.they should have that design placed in the fishing hall of fame.

i'd rather use a bait i know to work without question..than i would fish with a bait that may have even a touch of dout...

zooker
Old 08-07-09, 12:34 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
When we all went to Kentucky Lake, the bait monkey made me buy a rootbeer colored shallow running cb.Sense then I've caught about 75 bass-a walleye-a catfish-about 15 tiger perch and a turtle. All on the very same plug, Has you can see it is an equal oppertunity crankbait.

Nope, Iīve got this Shad Rap that must be more than 20 years old, that particular lure has produced more fish for me than all my other cranks all put together ( inculding my 13.86 lbs PB ), itīs pretty banged, the finish is all chewed up, has lotīs of scars, the lip used to be clear ( now itīs kinda yellow ); for a time I stopped using it but never took it out of the box, tied other lures and there it was ya know like staring at me with watery eyes, sometimes after trying with other baits unsuccessfully I looked at it and the temptaion made me tie it just for him to do his job. I finally gave up and itīs still on active duty doing what he does, catch fish.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:59 PM   #13
Jim80

the only baits I retire are soft plastics and that is short lived , they stay retired until an appointment with some soft bait glue and then it's back on the water .

Jim
Old 08-07-09, 07:01 PM   #14
bamabassman

no need to retireit lash. i think i want THAT lure and another just like it. our bet remember? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-07-09, 09:42 PM   #15
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post

Maybe you should keep this in a special utility box for when your going to fish a tournament.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 09:48 PM   #16
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Haha! I just did that today with a swimming jig that I've caught over 150 bass with. I'm afraid to catch another bass on it. I've tweaked the hook so many times and the skirt is down to 5 or 6 strands.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 09:53 PM   #17
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
no need to retireit lash. i think i want THAT lure and another just like it. our bet remember? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You got it. It's a good lure.
Old 08-07-09, 11:28 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok, now that i have my lures on hold, hahahaha. no need in asking what you would want. cuz you ain't gonna win nohow, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.