Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-08, 01:27 AM   #1
camf30
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need Some Help Using Plastics

Just started useing plastics last summer . I live in Iowa fish alot of farm ponds all have stained water . I used a 6in char. worm and a black 6in or 7in minnow worm . but i like to use s light rod fish . Going to use diffrient line this year ten pound power pro . So do u think or go to a heaver rod?
what colors do u thinck would work best?
Old 03-05-08, 09:57 AM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not sure what your preference is for rod and reels (baitcaster or spinning reels?)? I presume that most of the ponds you are fishing are from the bank and probably do not have much in the way of trees or brush obstructing your access to the water? Or if you are fishing from a small boat or tube?
If from the bank and not much in the way of your ability to cast, I would suggest a longer rod (6' 6" to 7") that would allow you to make longer casts and cover more water in the pond. The light line would probably be easier to use on a medium or medium light rod with a fairly fast action. If there is a lot of brush and you are casting parallel or close to the bank then a shorter rod will probably be easier to manipulate in the close quarters.
If from a boat or tube, then it depends largely on the amount of water you wish to cover, but moreso the technique or method you wish to use. Generally speaking, though, the same rod lengths and actions will work (as noted above). I would have a collection of small crankbaits, in-line spinners, and regular spinner baits in addition to your worms. The worm collection sounds OK, but I would scale down to some of the smaller worms and finesse techniques such as drop-shot and shakey head rigs. The "minnow style" worm should be dynamite during the warmer months, most folks know those as "Fluke" style baits. These should be fished weightless for the best action (darting and dying). Experiment with a number of different things in those ponds because you never know what these wily old bass want from one day to the next!
Old 03-05-08, 10:50 AM   #3
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Welcome!

If all you are using right now is a light rod, I would definitely go higher. I'd be looking around a medium or medium-heavy at least. Anywhere from 6'6'' to 7'2'' would be a great rod, depending on how long you like your rods and also how tall you are. Shorter people seem to prefer the shorter rods, taller people longer. This could also depend on what you fish from too. If your standing on a casting deck, a longer rod would be better; if your sitting in a float tube, a shorter rod would be better. Try them all out and see what fits you! Here's a few brands to think about:

>St. Croix
>Falcon
>All Star
>G. Loomis
>Lamiglas

For years, I used a spinning reel, and they work great; they are also more economical than a baitcaster. In terms of reels, I would go with 2000-2500, size wise. This reel will hold around 120-150 yds. of 10 lb. line. Some good companies to look at include: Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, Diawa. Here are a few examples:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ANO-SSYSR.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ANO-SSEFB.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...AIWA-TDTS.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...UM-QEPTIR.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...EGER-PPSR.html

As for line, if you're using braid, you could go way higher than 10 lb. In terms of braided lines, that is equivalent to about 2 lb. monofilament or fluorocarbon. If it's going to be Power Pro (or and braid for that matter) I'd go with at least 20 or 30 lb and use a monofilament/fluorocarbon leader.

Sorry I didn't really help you with the "plastics" part, but you did ask about rods and lines, so I thought I'd contribute. I'm sure all the other fellas on here will be happy to talk about plastics!

-Lunk-

Last edited by lunker-lander; 03-05-08 at 10:56 AM.
lunker-lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:19 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I won't be able to help you with color either, but for the rod and reel, I'd suggest using baitcasting gear. A 7' M rod will do just fine for plastics, along with an average speed reel. I use the Daiwa Viento: 6.3:1 gear ratio and the Twitchin' Bar is great for giving the plastics subtle movement.

BB
Old 03-05-08, 11:43 AM   #5
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish a lot of farm ponds and find that bigger plastics work good. If the water is stained I'd use black, green pumkin, red shad,... darker colors. I also like big spinnerbaits with a gold blade. Use anywhere from a 7 1/2" Berkley Power Worm to a 10" worm. I really like Red Shad for stained water in shallow farm ponds. You will probably want to throw the bigger worms on a Medium Heavy to Heavy 6'6"-7' rod with 20-30 lbs. braid if that's the line you prefer. Good luck and hope you catch a HAWG!!!
Old 03-05-08, 04:51 PM   #6
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Use what ever you have for a rod and usually lighter 6-8 b test line will work well for worming in a pond.Culprit makes a grape/white tail colored worm that I like for pond fishing.If the water is stained I would try a spinnerbait with gold blades.You want to fish the spinnerbait just slow enough where you can barely see the blades flash below the water surface on the retrieve.Make multiple casts to the same areas when fishing.The other lure I would recommend is a Bandit 100 series crankbait. C-Bird Beak.
Old 03-05-08, 05:27 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I am more of a fan of crankbaits than I am of plastics. One of the best, if not THE best crankbait I own is the Bandit 100.

BB
Old 03-05-08, 08:10 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely look at a rod with some stiffness. In order to get a good hookset you need a rod with some backbone. If you are using spinning gear a medium action will work, and baitcasting gear a medium heavy or heavy action works best.

Colors? You are on the right track with chartreuse. I like to use pumpkin/chartreuse tail and purple/white tail in stained water.

You also might look at bigger baits. In low visibility water a bigger bait that moves more water can be efffective allowing the bass to find the bait using it's lateral line.
Old 03-05-08, 10:22 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I am more of a fan of crankbaits than I am of plastics. One of the best, if not THE best crankbait I own is the Bandit 100.

BB
I would have to disagree here, although you do say, "...if not THE best crankbait I own". It may be the best you own, but I personally would have to disagree about this bait being the best.

If I were to name one of the best, either the Rapala DT Series, or the Lucky Craft Pointers, although this is truly a jerkbait.

-Lunk-
Old 03-06-08, 01:03 PM   #10
bassnman30

Default plastics

camf30,
Stay cheap,get the best mh rod that you can afford. Get the best bait casting reels that you can afford. Red Shad is a good worm, thats almost all that "I" throw. Your line might need to be heavier, 14 or so lb test. In a pond there may not be as much pressure on the fish so mono. should work.
(I like Stren but thats my opinion).
Old 03-07-08, 09:59 AM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Get a 6'6" lightening rod MH,some 4" red shad power worms(here I go again)some 4" motor oil power worms.Use 1/8 oz bullet weight(pegged) on 8lb.test and start catching bass.
That's what I do...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.