Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-05, 06:22 PM   #1
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32
Default dead fish

last night me and my partner were feeling pretty good after he caught our fifth fish in an eight hour tournament. the limit was six but we had a few really big ones. he caught the fifth fish at 2:10 am the tournament ended at 3:00. we went to the next hole at 2:30 and i checked the fish and the one that he had just caught was dead. i couldnt believe that i had died in 20 minutes. all the other ones were still kicking. we finished 5th with that one fish we would have gotten 3rd. has anyone ever even heard anything like that? please help im lost.
bassthumb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 06:27 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Never heard of anything like that before???
Old 07-24-05, 06:32 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ITs probably because of the heat. You can buy a blue looking additive for your livewells to keep fish alive, it keeps thier slime on them better , the #1 reason they die is lack of oxygen, when you have a hot weather, the boat takes on warm water to the livewell, combined with many fish equals little breathin room for the fish. On really big live wells I 've seen guy put a bag of ice in there, but thats up to you, I never have done that personally, but have seen many bass die in the live well soon after caught, and I dont think its all about stress, its the heat and oxygen level i think...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 07:35 PM   #4
zooker

add ice i have a temp sensor located in my live well. i aint figured out why it is there but it is. i have seen water temps in my live well with no fish in it read 110 degrees. adding ice helps alot. the stuff jb mentioned -blue powder- is great stuff. also make sure your areator is working right.

zooker
Old 07-24-05, 07:59 PM   #5
Rebbasser

The blue stuff is called Please Release Me and does a great job. One thing about the ice, though-if you buy bag ice it has chlorine in it which can harm the fish. I know some guys who use that blue ice-the reusable ice substitute you just refreeze when through using it.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 07-24-05 at 08:16 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 08:04 PM   #6
JB

Thats a great point.

I've never done the ice but have seen many a fish croak, esp when you get them early and its hot out
Old 07-25-05, 08:23 AM   #7
bassthumb32

We Tried Ice. I Dont Know What Happened. The Water Was Really Warm. Im Gonna Get Some Of That Blue Stuff Though. That Really Messed Up Our Night. Thanks For All Of Your Help.
bassthumb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 09:06 AM   #8
JB

Heres a bottle of it, I bet its expensive
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../5742/cid/1616
Old 07-25-05, 07:44 PM   #9
zooker

nah jb it is like 10-12 bucks it only takes a small amount to do it to a full livewell. just do not remove the funny brown thing in side the bottle it keeps it from harding.

zooker
Old 07-26-05, 09:45 AM   #10
bassthumb32

I Just Talked To Someone I Know Who Is A "pro" And He Said That Sometimes Smallmouth Will Spawn This Time Of Year And If You Catch Them After They Spawn They Will Die Immediately. And Thats What This Fish Was Was A Smallmouth. Has Anyone Heard Anything Like That. Because I Havent. But It Makes Sense.
Old 07-26-05, 01:31 PM   #11
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smallmouth are not nearly that vulnerable. I catch dozens all year round and have had some die but not because they were close after the spawn. If the fish are spawning now you must live far north. The smallmouth here in Tennessee spawn in April most years. Possible real reasons for fish dieing.
1) the fish was caught from very deep water( 25 to 35 feet) its swim bladdser expanded due to pressure and it sufficated in the live well.
2) The fish was injured during the fight or landing
3) The fish was misshandle after being caught. Possible dropped or laid out on the boat for an extended period.
4) the fish died from stress and the water that was so warm was very oxygen depleted. This along with impurities in the water from the other 4 fish.
I have lost fish in tournaments but only by my own fault.
Here is a little clue. If a fish in the live well suddenly becomes very active it is probably dieing.
Most tournaments allow dead fish as long as they are not mutulated. they do take some ounces off the weight of that fish but you stll get some of its weight.Use catch and release formula, Keep your areator turned on and use ice if the water in the well is over 85 degrees. Try not to let the fish get to sloshed around in the live well when the boat is in motion and avoid handleing the fish outside of its mouth. Get it unhooked and in the live well ASAP.Observe this and you will loose very few fish. I hope someone took the fish home and cleaned it. Throwing recently dead fish away is such a waste. Fish2win

Last edited by Fish2win; 07-26-05 at 11:05 PM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 02:07 PM   #12
bassthumb32

The Fish Was Not Mishandled We Netted It Pulled The Hook Out Of Its Lip And Put It In The Livewell Quickly. I Was In Deep Water Though. Prolly 15 To 25 Feet. It Was At Night And We Were Fishing A Ledge So It Was Hard To Tell Exactally Where The Worm Was At When The Fish Hit It And I Was Fishing Kind Of North About Midstate Pennsylvania. Thanks For You Help.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.