Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-06, 11:43 PM   #1
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

Default horny toads

i picked up a pack of watermelon horny toads tonight at wally world and i was wonderin how to rig them, what cover/structure to use them around. thx!
Old 03-12-06, 11:47 PM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Texas Rig weightless, 4/0 or 5/0 EWG hook, your choice of size. If you use a 4/0, bend the toad up so that the hook point goes through the very back end of the slot on bottom and then just let the point lay on top. If using a 5/0 the hook is gonna be resting free between the legs and the point will be laying on the back.

Use them anywhere. I haven't discovered a way to go wrong with them, yet. I believe they are like lizards..they just work. You can fish them as a topwater bait, you can swim them along, you can yo-yo them, you can fish them like a jig(thats almost like a Dr. Suess book!), just be open minded with them and I guarantee they'll catch some fish for you. Black is my favorite color, next is watermelon/red.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 01:12 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dang Zooker, I was going to type a battle to defend ya til the end. I am glad I read the thread,At first I was going strictly by the title and thought what the He!!s this guys problem with Zooker ? War Eagle, I been wondering about the same myself, I have got to see how bouyant they are, if they float good, I am thinking about arching the body and pinching a weight on near the back hookbend . The round body would rock and get alot of movement without moving the bait very far . The weight in the back should help it rock more, but fish slower and draw more strikes in the open pockets ? Let me know what works for you, I bought a few brands this winter, but haven't had any time out on the water with them yet.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 03:38 AM   #4
KenDammit

pretty bouyant in my opinion, PNJ.
Old 03-13-06, 09:47 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I watched that charlie ingrams fishing the trixie version of the horney toad, and they commented that swimmng it just below the surface is a good pattern....I got a 5/0 and put it through the zoom horny toad, I thought it would be too big , but it looks ok..I have some 4/0 hooks I can try too...just waiting on the water temp to warm up.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 10:57 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have used the screw-in type 5/0 hooks also. The toad stays on there pretty well through the thickest stuff.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 01:57 PM   #7
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

i will let yall know how i do with them....but i wont be using them til this thursday and friday
Old 03-13-06, 02:20 PM   #8
KenDammit

JB, 99% of the time, thats how I'm fishing them. It takes a pretty slow reel to get them to swim without coming up on the top, at least with a 4/0 hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.