Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-06, 07:16 PM   #1
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Another Line Question

As a rule of thumb I fish all of my baits with a treble hook on mono fishing line. I think most experienced anglers are in agreement on why you need to use mono for cranks. More and more I'm reading where guys are using braided line for their topwater baits. If you use mono for cranks because it helps absorb the shock of the strike and helps keep you from ripping the hooks out of the fishes mouth when setting the hook why doesn't the same rule of thumb apply to topwater baits with trebles? What about jerkbaits? Does the same rule of thumb apply as it does to cranks? I realize and understand why some guys are now using flouro to fish cranks. For all of you that fish mono for cranks but not your other treble hook baits what is your reason or justification for doing so?

Thanks!
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 07:29 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Strap, I tried braided lines for topwater baits.It doesn't work well for the walking the dog type baits.in my opinion there isn't any reason, unless your like me trying to reduce the amount of rods with you and only grab outfits with braid spooled up. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 09:10 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Are you calling me inexperienced rotfl. I use braided for just about everything including cranks. IMO if you have a good rod, and realize what you are using(ie crankbaits) the line has less of a affect then the rod and drag do. For example I use a Medium rod, moderate tip, with the drag set light for my cranks. I still set the hook, but I don't believe I lose many fish because I use braid. The drag and rod make up for the mono stretch. I've been wrong before, but it works for me. I have all the confidence in the world in braid, and not much in mono. So use what you like, and what you feel is better for you. Ask three pros the same question, and you'll get three different answers. Just read Bassmaster, when they ask a pro. More times than not the guys give opposite responses. Fishing is more about preferences and feeling comfortable with you the way you fish, then what everyone else does IMO of course.

Lizards
Old 12-09-06, 09:13 PM   #4
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use flouro for all baits that go deep, and dont need to be ultra sensitive. I still have to use braid on my t-rig rod.0
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 10:57 PM   #5
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lizards, good point. The line you use is only one part of the equation. Your right about the differing opinions of the pro's especially when you read Bassmaster. I pay pretty close attention to the tournament results and where they highlight the techniques the top three finishers used in each tournament. You may have two guys that got on a flipping pattern. One's fishing with 50 lb. braid and the other 25 lb. mono. I guess there is only one certainty in bass fishing. And that is there are a lot of uncertainties.

BTW- My accusation that you are inexperienced if you don't use mono for cranks....if the kettles black! Just kidding.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 07:55 PM   #6
jrward
BassFishin.Com Member

I use spider wire on just about everything. As far as the hookset.... you don't need to try and rip their lips off, a good solid pull and you've got 'em.
jrward is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.