Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-07, 03:01 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Building a Rod Quiver

I had been keeping the design of one to meet my needs as a bank and wading angler on the back burner for too long.

The need to finally design one came out of necessity and not wanting to suffer the threat of or loss by theft when wading. I would be so pissed if I were wading out of sight of my rods on the shore, even if I hid them in the brush.

The idea of leaving a Curado D in the bush with a Shimano Crucial or whatever rig that could easily be lifted by some punk did not sit too well and if I were out on the water, my chances of pursuit are greatly diminished.

As a result, I felt that this rod quiver had to stay on my back even while fishing. I designed it to accomodate 3 rods for transport. The pics here are just the premliminary model with the top and bottom being constructed out of foam poster board. The final version will be made of wood.

It is triangular in shape.

Here it is upright. Straps will be added to make it wearable like a back pack.

This is the part that made me a bit nervous in that it looked alright on paper and I was a bit worried that I might have trouble with the reels because a possible cause of the rigs not fitting into the quiver. Whew! Both triangles will be worked on to better fit and accommodate the rod butts and upper halves. I will also make certain that the rods don't move or bounce around.

Transport via hand.

With it on my back and centered on my back, I should be able to still fish with it while wading and hopefully switch rods on the fly. If a thief wants to steal my rigs, they'll have to come through me.

Any thoughts, comments as to what I can do to improve it are definitely welcome. Thanks! I can't wait to put finish this project!

-ib
Old 04-28-07, 07:03 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not a bad idea, but why not just use a backpack? They might ride a little higher, but I would think that would be a lot more comfortable. the only drawback would be the possibility of getting them caught in overhead branches. Just a thought.
Old 04-28-07, 08:17 PM   #3
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

-ib
Ohhhhhh, your fishing togs are just darling!

This just in! In a related story, a Mr F.Rod, of a major Southwestern city, warned Islandpants re forgetting the other rods are behind him. Yes, it HAS happened, and will someday, somewhere, involving someone, happen again.
Mr. Rod also mentioned remembering to peek up before passing under overhanging branches. It HAS happened, and will...
On a more serious note (Perhaps a D#) the same contraption could be made with rounded end pieces in lieu of pointy ones. One could make semicircular notches to keep the rods aligned and the danger of a freak injury, in the event of a fall, will be much reduced.

Video at 10PM.

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-28-07 at 08:22 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 09:23 PM   #4
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post

Video at 10PM.

trust me i don't want to see mr f.rod on the 10pm news dancing in hot pink leapord pants either. thats his lucky fishing pants or so i have been told..

great idea island pvc may reduce weight..they make a pvc board -available at lowes/ home depot-doors depart-. it will not warp or flex and is completely water proof. it can be cut just like wood..

zooker
Old 04-28-07, 09:41 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Quote:
trust me i don't want to see mr f.rod on the 10pm news dancing in hot pink leapord pants either.
Zooker, thanks a **** if a lot for planting that image in my head.
Old 04-29-07, 03:05 AM   #6
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
trust me i don't want to see mr f.rod on the 10pm news dancing in hot pink leapord pants either. thats his lucky fishing pants or so i have been told..

great idea island pvc may reduce weight..they make a pvc board -available at lowes/ home depot-doors depart-. it will not warp or flex and is completely water proof. it can be cut just like wood..

zooker
Thanks Zooker. PVC was actually my first choice, but after working with it, I found it to be a bit too flexible for my liking. I might use PVC to help seat the rod butts.

You guys are too much! The final version will definitely have rounded edges!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.