Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-11, 07:12 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Clear water jig color ?

In about a month my family is getting a cabin on Lake Tenkiller in Oklahoma. This will be my first time fishing this lake and the water is supposed to be pretty clear. I'm used to fishing very stained water so I'm not sure what colors to go with. I was thinking greens and light blues maybe some purple?? Anyway I was getting ready to order some Elk River jigs to restock for the fall and thought I'd get some opinions before I ordered.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:17 PM   #2
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

I would go with more natural colors like your greens and browns, nothing flashy though, they maybe easily spooked. Also since its clear a full stranded jig may be a little bulky so I'd either trim it or look into finesse jigs. Just my point of view.
Old 09-15-11, 07:40 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not sure what "pretty clear" is on your lake, but the water clarity on the lake I fish was 16' in the most recent survey (2007) done. I had never fished a jig in my life until 6 weeks ago. I started out with a 3/4 oz. Peanut Butter and Jelly colored jig with a green pumpkin trailer, which would fit in the "natural colors" and "nothing flashy" like C DUDE mentioned. I've been having great luck on the PB&J color, so it's one I plan to wear out until it stops working. I think you're on the right track with the colors you mentioned, but I'm obviously a complete novice at using jigs, so hopefully some others will chime in also.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 09:02 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Browns, greens, and my favorite clear water jig color PURPLE!

Caught more on purple jigs then any other jig color. Match it up with a #11 black pork frog and you've got magic!

It's also usually a good idea to try to match the bottom color. Jigs most often imitate a crawdad, and they're always trying to blend in with the bottom. Purple seems to be the exception though!
Old 09-15-11, 11:41 PM   #5
b.a.s.17

How much purple are you guys talking about? Like the purple craw color or the pb&j?

http://elkriverjigs.com/brushjigs.html
Old 09-15-11, 11:50 PM   #6
Tavery5

I would do like others have said and stick with the more natural looking colors, greens like watermelon pepper and green pumpkin pepper, browns and tans. I have also had good luck on the okeechobee craw color.
Old 09-16-11, 02:37 AM   #7
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

PB&J and Missouri Craw are two of my favorites on Table Rock and you can watch them fall FOREVER in that clear water. Just stick to natural colors like everyone has said and you should be fine.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:41 AM   #8
b.a.s.17

Missouri craw is one of my favorite colors in my stained lake too!
Old 09-16-11, 09:17 AM   #9
Bender

I agree with the natural colors. From the website you linked I'd go with Blue Neon (I think it is black with blue flake), Bream, or Purple Craw. I'd cut about half that skirt off though. I seem to have better luck with a 30-40 strand skirt and those look really heavy. For trailers this year I've been using Netbait Paca Chunks in different colors such as Potomac Blue, Bama Bug Red, Green Pumpkin, etc.

I haven't been fishing jigs for too long but I have been a lot in the past couple years and really like this type of fishing.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:29 AM   #10
keithdog

I'd mostly stick with natural colors myself. But back/blue seems to work for me regardless of water conditions.
Old 09-18-11, 11:20 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

How clear is "pretty clear"? I fish lakes that range in visibility from 6-8" to about 8-12'. I'd personally describe pretty clear as around 3-4' visibility.

If those kinds of conditions, I prefer a couple jig colors I make myself. One is quite simple and would be equivalent to a watermelon flake worm. The other is one of the most complicated colors I make involved a few different shades of green pumpkin, watermelon, black, and with a few different colored flakes. I like a PB&J too, but I prefer mine with slightly more brown/orange/pumpkin than purple. Black and Blue is also another great choice in almost any water clarity.

BB
Old 09-18-11, 05:33 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Don't over think it too much. In clear water natural colors are king. Watermelon, watermelon candy, green pumpkin, and pb&j are all proven colors in clear water. My advice is to choose 3 or 4 natural colors that you have confidence in and stock up. In my opinion people get too carried away with having every color under the sun in their box and they end up confusing themselves in the long run.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:51 PM   #13
b.a.s.17

Thanks for all the advice guys! With how dry it's been around here the water clarity was around 6 or 7 ft, but we've had some good rain the last 2 days so I'm sure it's changed a little bit.

C-Rig I definitely overthink colors it doesn't just apply to fishing though... You shoulda seen me trying to decide what color truck I wanted!
Old 09-18-11, 08:03 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
How much purple are you guys talking about? Like the purple craw color or the pb&j?

http://elkriverjigs.com/brushjigs.html
The june bug color, Only I use a black head.
Old 09-19-11, 03:13 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Don't over think it too much. In clear water natural colors are king. Watermelon, watermelon candy, green pumpkin, and pb&j are all proven colors in clear water. My advice is to choose 3 or 4 natural colors that you have confidence in and stock up. In my opinion people get too carried away with having every color under the sun in their box and they end up confusing themselves in the long run.
I definitely agree that people do get carried away. I carry about 4 basic colors.

Black, watermelon, green pumpkin, and brown. Now I have variations of all of them, but use them pretty much interchangeably. I don't really care if I'm throwing black and blue or just black. Same goes for watermelon vs watermelon candy vs watermelon red.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.