Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-08, 04:26 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Today's Fishing log

Conditions:
Lake: Highland Lake
Water Temp: 51 to 53.6 Degress
Visibility: Murky - 1' Max Visibility
Wind: 10-12 MPH North Wind
Structure: Chunk Rock, Large Rock, Stumps and Downed Timber

I went out and fished today from 8:00 to 1:00 and didn't get a single bite. I thought that I was a better fisherman than to get stumped but it happened.

What I fished with:

T-Rig with Shakey Head Worm and Senko: Natural and Dark Colors
Weightless and Weighted Wacky Rig
Drop Shot

As I write this I see that I didn't use anything that would make vibrations or noises. I though about a Crankbait and a Spinnerbait but didn't know how they would work in the low 50 degree water temperature. I am trying to improve my arsenal and would love any advice that you could give.

Thank You,

Mark Williams
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 04:51 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1/2 and/or 3/4 oz black or dark colored spinnerbait. and rattle traps or rattling cranks.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 04:53 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Everyone gets skunked man it happens , you def could have thrown a crank or a suspending jerkbait a , rattlen rouge or something to that effect , a spinnerbait you would slow roll in those conditions retrieving it just fast enough to keep the blades spinning while running it along the bottom . you could also have thrown a jig with a pork trailer, football head in the rocks and a swim jig around the timber . I would go black blue , chrome and green and oranges for colors .

Jim
Old 12-31-08, 09:03 PM   #4
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I went with a buddy the other day and the water temp was under 50 degree. I would not have thought a rattle trap would have worked but he caught two on one.

Kevin the moderator has a good article on lipless baits as a good winter bait if you look for it on the home page I think is where it is at.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:03 PM   #5
Tennessee

Default Just my thoughts

Round my area we throw Traps and Spinners and find fish really active but you have to find a group of fish...they want be spread out..If it's to cold they go deeper and really pack in closer I will work a worm so slow it will drive you crazy but. Once you find them sure fire bet you gonna pick up more !!

Thanks Will

PS yes I have been skunked more than once but I don't care. I WAS FISHING AND THAT BEATS WORK
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:32 PM   #6
woody

It's been said that a bad day of fishin is better than a good day of work.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:40 PM   #7
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post

I'm pretty sure that has been proven lol

Jim
Old 01-01-09, 09:50 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Crank, didn't we have a front blow through in the AM? That may have been the problem. Lancer6 fished Canyon on Tuesday and they caught several, both LM and Smallies.
Old 01-01-09, 11:47 PM   #9
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

I would have thrown a spinnerbait, especially in murky water.
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 02:06 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankitup View Post
As I write this I see that I didn't use anything that would make vibrations or noises. I though about a Crankbait and a Spinnerbait but didn't know how they would work in the low 50 degree water temperature. I am trying to improve my arsenal and would love any advice that you could give.
first off if what you have been throwing all day isn't working then don't be affraid to change it up, no matter what bait or what time of year you are dealing with.

secondly crankbaits, jerkbaits, jigs, and spinnerbaits all will catch fish through the winter months as well as the rest of the year. just like anything else, they have their situations where they really shine but don't be affraid to use them.
Old 01-02-09, 06:28 AM   #11
Basscrazie

It happens to the best at times but thats fishing.I will be out there this morning and figure the water to be in the low 50's..
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 06:34 AM   #12
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i've caught fish on buzzbaits in 40 degree water.
Old 01-02-09, 03:18 PM   #13
quenston

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Well I will prove it here at about 4:00 cuz I am having a great day at work and will probly have a bad day fishin but at least I will get to try out my new boat!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 03:48 PM   #14
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

So in throwing the spinnerbait I guess you would want to go with a double colorado blade in the murky water right? I do understand going with the darker colors but why not throw a white or white/yellow spinner in the murky water. Which do you think is best and why? As for the Jig I have not had one bite in the six months I have been fishing it. I will try to gain my confidence in it though. As for the Buzzbait I have one black and one white. How would you suggest fishing the buzzbait? I would assume a slow steady retrieve with intermediate pauses.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 02:24 AM   #15
S4il

I fish Alot of the color black and blue in dirty water, but thats for jigs, not sure how that would play out for spinner baits, although strike-king does still make that single Colorado spinner bait called the *midnight special* and my idea of a midnight special is finding a local gal at the club, and taking her out to my truck for a few minutes.

As for fishing the buzz bait, I'd go slow, keeping the rod tip High, bass arnt really in a mood to chase a bait, so keep it in the strike zone as long as possible, if you think a bass is holding in close to timber along side the shore line, and your throwing a buzz bait at em, make sure to OVER THROW the target you plan on fishing, than, Bring the bait past the structure paying close attention to any boils in the water that might indicate a bass has turned and taken some form of interest in your bait.

Retrieve style Keep it in constant contact with the surface of the water, Just barley making it blurp and turn water on the surface, As for color, i always used to fish white buzz baits, i switched to a black Booyah buzzbait and i now have to say ill never go back to white, Seems darker colors work better in darker water, but sky conditions does play an importance in what color is best to fish.

I wanna say its Bright Vibrant colors on High sunny days.

Darker sky conditions, like overcast Id go with black maybe with some red or some Blue in the skirt.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.