Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-08, 09:55 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lawn Mowers

I got 4 acres to mow now , no trees just yet. Very smooth even ground with a slight descend to one corner.. I am looking at getting a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle zero turn. Mostly because they are fast , that will get me on the water sooner. The model also will pull 2000 pounds on the rear hitch ball , and I can put a plow on the front... what do you guys recommend and/or use ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 10:03 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

kabota diesel zero turn. 40 horse 72" deck have yet to find big enough grass to stop it..

i also got a juan deer garden mower

zooker
Old 08-04-08, 12:28 AM   #3
bamabassman

in my opion only here now. zooker ol pal i have to DISAGREE with you on this one pal. see i used to work for the county and we cut all the parks and stuff. deers are good, butas are too, but ifn you want the best....ya gotta go to an x-mark. 28 horse, 60 inch cut desiel. COMMERCIAL GRADE. there is a differance in da decks. what you buy at the hdw store, the decks are stamped, dealers carry the welded decks. thicker, stronger and have fittings on the pullys so you can greese em. troy has a new mower that has angled bearings, i like them as well. the motor and stuff is about all the same i think. but it is the decks and pullys that are always the first to go. it may cost a little more at first, but it is well worth it friends. buy a commercial grade zero and you'll never have to buy another mower. take care of it too. it'll pay you back in 20 years. never having to replace a thing. well maybe the seat, lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:28 AM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

we have an exmark dealer here that does VERY well. everbody i know that has one loves it. but we also have a guy here that sells these http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/Index.html i have been drooling over them for awhile but can't get the wife to let me go ahead and get one. i mow about 4 acres...i need this!

btw, with the hustler you can get a honda engine. hows that for reliable?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 01:17 PM   #5
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

10 gallons of gas and a match
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 01:22 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
Too funny. Forget the gas. Just wait for a solid week of 90+ degree heat and just light a match. The grass should be dry enough to withstand a flame without gasoline.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 05:41 PM   #7
CMorg

So you guys all agree that a zero turn is the way to go ? With the exception of the fire..
Old 08-04-08, 05:45 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Zero turns are great. I don't have one because I only have 1 acre to cut. No reason to spend an additional $1000 for my small lot. But for your size, definitely a zero turn.
Old 08-04-08, 05:50 PM   #9
bamabassman

lmao at the fire. yes indeedie pal. zero is the only way to go . saves time and gets really close to the edges. fast too. i had a deere that would cut grass at 14 mph!! that's moving.....er.... i mean MOWING!! and i was mistaken about the troy. it is the TORO, not troy mower. toro has the angled bearings. say it lasts longer and causes less friction. smoother cuts and running. find a dealer and check if they have a rebuilt one. either brand you choose. most times they are as good as a new one. or better yet, find a lawn service company and see if they will sell you one and have it redone. may save a lot of fishing money. but YESSS, ZERO TURN MOWER IS THE BEST WAY TO GO, in my opion. hehehe.
Old 08-04-08, 05:54 PM   #10
bamabassman

oh yea, forgot to say, when i lived down south. i had 10 acres. had a deere tractor with a 5 ft buch hog. took one day to mow it, and another day on the old craftsman mower, another weedeating. no time for fishing like that. well the tractor had an oil blow out, took it to the dealer...$3,000.00 to rebuild. traded it on the zero. cut everything in 1 day! that's why i will get another zero when i move to the "farm". in-laws have 40 acres there. i ain't wasting my fishing time mowing grass again for NUTHIN!!
Old 08-04-08, 06:36 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I mow around 4 acres (front and back combined), and that's around a couple dozen pine trees, our pond, and house. We have an older john Deer compact tractor. 5' mowing deck. I'd like ot have a Zero Turn, but we can't afford that. Our tractor also has a bucket on the front for plowing the 300' driveway in the winter.

BB
Old 08-04-08, 07:51 PM   #12
flfireman

My buddy has the Dixie Chopper, loves it mows his 10 acres with it. Also mows the ten acres around the farm house with it. The other 1000 are taken care of by cows and a big a$$ tractor.
Old 08-04-08, 09:15 PM   #13
CMorg

Nice , thats what I wanted to hear. I really want a dixie , I think there way cool..
Old 08-06-08, 04:53 PM   #14
CMorg

hehe , changed my mind , Im getting an eXmark. Lazer Z.
Old 08-06-08, 09:02 PM   #15
bamabassman

GREAT CHOICE PAL. is it a deisel? tell us da details mannnnn.
Old 08-08-08, 07:16 AM   #16
Christopherkeene9

Man why is everyone recommending all the mowers with aluminum foil for decks! I work in the industry and Scag is the only way to go. Built to last forever. We used to see lots of Dixie when our shop used to service them and they were always really beat up due to the light construction. Same with the exmarks too! And I'm not even gonna touch the whole John Deere thing.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 01:48 PM   #17
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
and blow 40 bucks every time you mow the lawn?
Old 08-08-08, 04:48 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Yeah, but you only have to do it 1-2 times a year.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:59 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Yeah, but you only have to do it 1-2 times a year.

That is true. When I accidently set half my yard on fire several years ago from fireworks, the grass didn't grow back in that area for a while. When it did grow back it was very green and nice, since I kept it fertilized. I thought about doing that to the backyard but realized I didn't have the necessary knowledge at the time to keep it under control. I didn't want to set the woods on fire or tick off the neighbors.
Old 08-08-08, 08:21 PM   #20
bamabassman

hey christopherkeen....if you are talking about the commercial grade x-mark's i have to disagree with ya pal. all COMMERCIAL grade zero's have at least 3/16 or 1/4 in thick decks on em. i have used the scags as well. they didn't last as long as the x-mark for us. we used the gas powered 26 hp, 60 deck models on ALL our mowers. we had huskavarnia, scag, x-mark, and kubota. all did ok, for about 2 years except for the x-mark. it didn't need a thing for 4 years. yes we maintained them everyday. we cut grass for 11 of the 12 months out of a year. i am not saying that scags aren't good mowers. and it was my opion only. maybe we got a lemon on our scag. i just like the ruggedness of the x-mark. when you let a state inmate (or at least 50 different ones) use a mower, he is gonna give it all the abuse it can take, believe me i know. i have seen them ride mowers over everything out there and laugh....what are you gonne do to them....put em in jail? they're already there. now if a regular guy or gal was using one at home, you're not gonna do that kind of stuff to a $10,000.00 mower, right? and that is what they cost. or at least close to it. that is why i said that a COMMERCIAL GRADE zero turn mower would last one of us a lifetime. cool?
Old 08-09-08, 04:38 AM   #21
cassidyta

What is this lawn mower thing you speak of? Out here I have .12 acres (yes that is a decimal). Damn I miss living on a farm.
Old 08-10-08, 03:58 PM   #22
CMorg

I know two people with scags , they love them , but one of them has noticed that parts are very , very expensive when it breaks down. I have thought about them , but eXmark is sold here in my town , and if it breaks down they will service it , and pick it up on site. Thats what sold me.
Old 08-10-08, 07:06 PM   #23
bamabassman

just out of couriousty, what did you get? how many hosses, how big a deck, etc. and around how much did you pay? i am looking to get one next year, that is IF the folks that say they are gonna buy the house actually buy it. thanks.
Old 08-10-08, 08:55 PM   #24
CMorg

eXmark laser z , 27HP Kohler , 60" deck. It has the rollover protection , I dont know if thats an option or factory. 7,500 , or 8025.00 with tax.
Old 08-10-08, 09:00 PM   #25
bamabassman

is it the stamped deck or the welded deck. which means either a commercial mower or homeowner mower. welded deck is commercial thicker metal.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.