Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-13, 07:41 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Smile got some good news folks

ok gang, it seems like i have a new job FINALLY lined up. wait..let me cllarify this.....

i am in the PROCESS of getting a new job. there are tests and such i have to pass in order to actually LAND the job.

this is with a rail road repair/replace company. the crew goes out for 22-23 days straight, then home for a week. that in itself is going to be hard to do. BUT the pay is good, and some other benifits are AWESUM! fantastic health insurance. so i am pretty excited and yet worried at the same time, lol.

i have never gone out of town to work ever in my life. but times are hard and this is what i am going to have to do. this is NOT the welders helper job. that is still pending as of now, and pays DOUBLE what this job pays. but hey, this is the job offered and the pay is a LOT better than what i WAS making. so i am gonna give it my best shot.

so i am asking for you all to continue to pray for me as i go down this road. i won't be on here as much as usual, BUT I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU!!

here is the way it works. we go out for 22-23 days, repair and replace tracks on railroads. they cover tracks from MIAMI TO NEW ORLEANS and up to CHICAGO to upper new york. and all points in between. the pay for my room, so much per diem and we work 60-70 hrs a week. time and a half over 40 of course. so the money will be EXTRA nice. then we go home for a week. so, out 3 weeks, home a week. like bubba bruiser does. so i am gonna be looking for YOU bubba to help me out when away form home.

and i am also in need of some CLOTHING advice. i need all my northern brethern and sistas to help me get the BEST, MOST DURABLE, WATER PROOF WORK COVERALLS there is. i will need ot get some if not the WARMEST thermal underwear and boots (steel toed, slip resistant,waterproof, insulated,oil resistant) on the market. pants and shirts i got covered. but if i am gonna be up in CANADA next month...i want to be WARM when i go outside.oh yeah, the BEST thermal WORK GLOVES too.

i will add some questions as we go through this thread. right now my head is spinning form the TESTS i had to take online, hahahaha!

already thinkng i am gonna have to get a camper shell for the Z-71 and some tires chains.change out the antifreeze and such too.hope the ol girl gets me through till i can afford ANOTHER truck JSUT for traveling. i wanna keep this ol truck hooked up the CAJUN, hahahaha!

so PLEASE....give me some GREAT ADVICE. and remember...HTIS IS FOR WORKING IN BAD WEATHER, RAINING WEATHER, AND IT IS MESSY WORK. so i need DURABLE work clothing.

thanks gang. i KNOW i can depend on my fellow fishermen for this advice. oyu have NEVER let me down yet.
Old 01-17-13, 08:09 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great news John. Praying for you and good luck my friend
Old 01-17-13, 08:13 PM   #3
joedog

Hard to go wrong with Carhartt.
They are affordable and can be found at any Farm and Fleet type store.
Should ALL be on sale about now.
http://dungarees.net/category_Carhar...7-0-1-0-0.html

Oh, and you always got my prayers.
Here's to the new job and the excitement of knowing another is on the way.

Go get-em John!

Last edited by joedog; 01-17-13 at 08:28 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:19 PM   #4
Jrob78

Congratulations John! That is great news!! I can't help you with the clothes, no need in Texas but I will keep those good thoughts headed your way. I am really happy for you buddy!
Old 01-17-13, 08:22 PM   #5
keithdog

First, best of luck John. I've been praying for you buddy. The timing of this is amazing! LOL My job took me to a Canadian Rail Road location today to make a delivery to a crew of guys doing exactly what your talking about. They were all wearing Carhart coveralls or jackets and pants with heavy weight hooded sweat shirts under the jackets. Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-13, 08:24 PM   #6
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

John, congrats man! I am really happy for you. Two things: first, find you a good Carhartt jacket...heck get two of them. You may get one with the lining on the inside and one without it. Second, get you a GOOD pair of work boots that are going to keep your feet warm and dry...then match it up with a pair of good wool socks.

Best of luck to you buddy!
Old 01-17-13, 08:26 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Great news John!

As far as long johns, I'm a huge fan of Teramar (i think that's how they're spelled).
I think I paid 30 bucks a set, and that was onsale at Gander.
Well worth it, and this is comin from a northern michigan roofer.

Warm weather boots....I've never tried anything better than Red Wings.
Cold weather boots, I'm a fan of Lacrosse Ice Kings. Pretty heavy, but I frostbit both my knees a few winters back...yet my tootsies were fine.

Don't really have a lot of advice on gloves since, I can't wear them very often in my job.

Bein from Alabama, you're gonna need a snowmobile suit and heated gloves lol.
Keep in mind....this may not be common knowledge in Alabama lol, most of your heat loss is from the head. Have a nice warm hat, and also a facemask style hat.

And keep movin!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-13, 08:28 PM   #8
MallenManson

Almost forgot...LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS!!!!!
That is a secret to staying warm in cold weather!

When I'm roofing this time of year, it's:
Thermal shirt..tee shirt....hoodie....work coat.....
Not only does layers help to keep you warm, but it's also easy to shed a layer if you start warmin up
Old 01-17-13, 08:32 PM   #9
MallenManson

Almost forgot!
Don't try crammin 3 pairs of socks on your feet!

Your feet need to breathe to stay warm.
All I wear is one pair of regular hanes socks.

If you're on your way to a job site in the truck, keep them heavy boots and heavy clothes off! You'll sweat while in the truck, then be freezing when you get out
Old 01-17-13, 08:38 PM   #10
IUbass

I second the Carhartt. They make some great stuff! There are some coveralls that are lined with their arctic quilt. I have seen some coveralls that cover the whole body. Get a good wool balaclava.... maybe even a tight fitting Under Armour one then the wool over it. They also have good base layers for cold weather too.

Some tips I have came across. Always keep spare gloves/hats/coveralls anything in the truck. I misplace so many things and those are always life savers. Another tip, you can always take clothes off, but cant put em on. Dress warmer than you think you should.

Once you get use to the weather it wont be too bad... but definitely wont be Bama... although I saw T-Town got some snow today!

You'll be in my prayers. I believe everything happens for a reason. I'm glad Lisa is understanding. Everything is a blessing!

Last thing, Get a little Plano tackle box and one of those travel poles! You never know where a lake might come up!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:40 PM   #11
woody

Awesome news John! Your faith has brought you this far; just continue believing in Him to take you all the way.

..keeping your feet warm and dry is a must! When you know your workday is gonna get really wet, I would have with me at least a dry pair of socks and even a dry pair of shoes to help me get through the day.

Better days are ahead!

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 01-17-13 at 08:48 PM.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:43 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Congratulations John, this is such great news!

Like others have said, Carhartt is the way to go. They can be pricey, but you get what you pay for with Carhartt. Warm, well made, and durable.

Get a good pair of work boots. Red Wing and Wolverine both make good boots that come in insulated versions.

BB
Old 01-17-13, 08:44 PM   #13
Marty

Best wishes to you. My best friend has been out of work twice in the last four years and I know through his experiences what a relief it is to get an offer. (I'm retired and past that phase).

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:53 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Awesome news Bama! Hope everything goes thru without a hitch for you.
All I can say about your work gear is that Carhartt and Walls is top stuff and will last awhile. Try a pair of Servus steel toe rubber boots in the arsenal for those wet days and have a few decent slickers. I used to get Lacrosse for about $50 and they lasted on long days roughnecking and working derricks. And if the spring a leak, duct tape sticks real well to the inside when they do finally spring a leak.
Old 01-17-13, 08:56 PM   #15
MO_CPA

John, will they allow letters of recommendation??? LOL. We could probably get a good 50 written up.
Old 01-17-13, 08:57 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Congratulations John, Britney and I are really happy and excited for you. If you find yourself in my neighborhood let me know and I will buy you dinner. I can't be too much help on the clothing but I do agree that Carhartt makes some amazing stuff when it comes to being durable and warm. Best of luck buddy, I know you must be gitty with excitement.
Old 01-17-13, 08:58 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

It's also worth saying that I am proud of you for keeping such a positive outlook on things while you were going through such a tough time. Your a good man.
Old 01-17-13, 09:03 PM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Congratulations John, Britney and I are really happy and excited for you. If you find yourself in my neighborhood let me know and I will buy you dinner. I can't be too much help on the clothing but I do agree that Carhartt makes some amazing stuff when it comes to being durable and warm. Best of luck buddy, I know you must be gitty with excitement.
Same here!!!!!

We should make up a list of areas that John can get a warm meal!!!!!!
Anywhere in Northern Michigan brother, and I got ya covered!!!
Old 01-17-13, 09:05 PM   #19
nofearengineer

John, let me first say how happy I am for you to find a good job that pays well! Necessity money will turn to luxury money in the future!

Second, I just bought a pair of Carhartt "Extreme" duck bibs that is quite honestly TOO WARM. I wore them outside doing some yardwork the other day, and I ended up having to switch them for some sweatpants.

So for a guy working outside all day in sub-30's weather, they would be GREAT.
Old 01-17-13, 09:13 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Excellent news John Sounds like you got some good advice on the clothing.
Here's all I know about railroad tracks. Whenever they originally lay the tracks they almost always have to build up low spots. They do this most of the time by digging "borrow pits" alongside the right of way. Some of the best fishing holes I've ever discovered were tucked off to the side of railroad tracks way back in the boonies. Throw a rod or two in your truck and kill some time during lunch. It'll help you from being so homesick.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-17-13, 09:33 PM   #21
joedog

John, just a thought.
If you know anyone who works there now, try asking them their favorites. You may be surpried. Plus, they ALWAYS know where the local deals are.

Again, great news!
Old 01-17-13, 09:39 PM   #22
1/4 stick

Great news man!! I pray for your success and strength.
Old 01-17-13, 10:11 PM   #23
MississippiBoy

Way to go, brother. I hope this works out for you, and that it leads to something better. Good luck, and let me know how it's going.
Old 01-17-13, 10:17 PM   #24
Bassboss

Hope everything goes well John! Sounds like you've found a pretty job, challenging though but sounds pretty fun to me!

Wish I could help with the warm work cloths area. I wouldn't advise steel toe's though... unless you like cold toes! lol The steel toe really likes to get cold. If you need toe protection, opt for composite.
Old 01-17-13, 11:27 PM   #25
Bender

That's great news!
I would try to avoid steel toes as well, they get cold! For your feet try Cabela's sock liners plus some wool socks. Tractor Supply carries less expensive ones, up north anyways. I also agree with the insulated Carhart bibs. I've worn mine ice fishing at -20 before and wasn't cold. My hands are always cold and I've found that mittens are a lot better than gloves, but not good for work. Get some liners and then gloves. It all goes back to layering up like said before. One reason you get cold is because of sweat so the layers that contact your body need to remove the moisture. For long johns at a good price get polypropylene ones like from Tullahoma www.tii.us , they are $14 for pants and $13.50 for tops.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.