Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-09, 10:28 PM   #1
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Unhappy Speedo help

I need a thought, idea or solution to a speedo problem. My Merc has a small hole in the lower end for the speedo. The service guy said they will clog up from time to time. He recommended using a pipe cleaner and running it in/out to clear it. Well, I have wood stuck in mine. I bumped a stump a little to hard and got wood jammed in the hole. No exposed end to grab, I tried a paper clip-seemed to have made it worse. Is there a way to come from higher up in the motor and run a wire down, then push it out? Sorry for all the technical terms..it's the best I got.
Old 03-06-09, 10:30 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, now YOU need to change the title pal. hahahahaha, floridians and speedos............hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm. lmao. i think that method would work. it is just a clear tube though, get another one if ya want. i think they are real cheap.
Old 03-07-09, 12:51 AM   #3
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

At first I thought...click or don't click?

Maybe if you take a small drill bit and work it by hand, you can slowly and carefully get it clear.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 12:58 AM   #4
Bender

I wonder if you can use some Elmers glue or something like that. Maybe test it on something first, but you might be able to squirt it in there and around the hole, then when it dries pull it out. I've never tried it, just thinking here...maybe silicone would work better. Just test first to make sure you don't plug the hole permanently!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:03 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Small drill bit .........work it in just like you where drillin. MOST of the time it will pull the wood out just like you where drilling. There is no way of going from the other end. Reason being is depending on what motor you have ............just about 1 1/2" in on smaller motors and about 2 1/4"s in on bigger engines the speedo pitot tube does a 90 degree turn up.
Old 03-07-09, 07:05 PM   #6
CMorg

Mine had a small crack on the bottom , buy the water opening. I just replaced it for 3.00.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:15 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cmorg, your speedo? a crack in the bottom? lmao, sorry pal....could NOT resist that one.
Old 03-07-09, 11:41 PM   #8
CMorg

Nice , I didnt even see that one coming....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:53 AM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Small drill bit .........work it in just like you where drillin. MOST of the time it will pull the wood out just like you where drilling. There is no way of going from the other end. Reason being is depending on what motor you have ............just about 1 1/2" in on smaller motors and about 2 1/4"s in on bigger engines the speedo pitot tube does a 90 degree turn up.
Thats the best way man a small drill bit and an easy out . the easy outs cutting part goes the counter clock wise , drill the small hole turn in the easy out and then pull the stump out .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.