Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-09, 10:55 PM   #1
dbltap
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Low Maintenance Motor?

Regarding Outboards of 200 to 250 hp. Which one is the least labor intensive? Meaning, which one will require the least amount of tuning and pampering. I plan on using my boat, when I get one, about one or two weekends a month and that is only during the 7 month Iowa season. So there will be times when it will just sit. Until I retire and move to a year round warmer climate and can use it every day. Perhaps that usage will require a whole different maintenance plan. Can't afford any boat that comes with a 4 stroke so lets keep to the oil squirters.

Looking for wisdom.
dbltap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 08:46 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well I can not mention 4 strokes..Let me say that Mercury is not maintenance free.. And old Johnsons either.. So rule those two out..
Thats a tough one for sure..

The commercial netters use Tohatsu and claim it to be maintenance free. But they are not high performance either.

I have a Honda 50/35 4 stroke that has seen the shop once in 9 years..but you said no 4 strokes... Hmmm

At least I can rule out a few.

Capt Mike
Old 03-13-09, 02:57 PM   #3
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Two strokes are much less labor intensive than four strokes,

If you are talking "new", then the Evenrude E-techs are as near to no maintenence as they get.

Even the older engines are not too bad, once or twice a year you change the lower unit oil. Water pump at least every two years. Every year is better but usually not necesary! I do mine on even numbered year! Every couple months I like to run my engine on the muffs with the cover off just to make sure there are no leaks and such. Spark plugs religiously every two years and fuel filter at the same time! Do your normal winterizing every fall and you are good to go. Allways use a fuel stablizer, I use Sea foam and Starbright Startron.

You couldn't give me a 4 stroke on a Bass Boat!
Old 03-13-09, 08:03 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
Two strokes are much less labor intensive than four strokes,

If you are talking "new", then the Evenrude E-techs are as near to no maintenence as they get.

Even the older engines are not too bad, once or twice a year you change the lower unit oil. Water pump at least every two years. Every year is better but usually not necesary! I do mine on even numbered year! Every couple months I like to run my engine on the muffs with the cover off just to make sure there are no leaks and such. Spark plugs religiously every two years and fuel filter at the same time! Do your normal winterizing every fall and you are good to go. Allways use a fuel stablizer, I use Sea foam and Starbright Startron.

You couldn't give me a 4 stroke on a Bass Boat!
i agree the e-tech would be better for what your asking.. but none are maintance free. lower units,spark plugs,oil filters,fuel filters need to be change EVERY year.. water pumps every two years..

i run the crap out of mine -it never sits more than 3 days-i pump seafoam thru it in every tank. i change the plugs every 3 months change the lower unit oil twice a year, change the water pump yearly. filters get change with the plugs.. i average 300 hours a year on my moter..

i knew i liked dis left coaster fer some reason..
he said "You couldn't give me a 4 stroke on a Bass Boat!" i could not agree more..

zooker
Old 03-13-09, 09:58 PM   #5
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow, 300 hours a year, in that case, you are right on with your maintenence schedule! I'm fortunate to do 50 75 a year!

Gotta love that SeaFoam. Never leave the dock without it!!!
Old 03-14-09, 07:06 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Since you are like most of us and do not want a 4 stroke your left with the big 3........Merc,Yamaha, and Evinrude. Anymore they are all the same EXCEPT for running qualities....if you take a boat.....the same boat and rig it with the above motors the Merc will come in first then the Hammer and then the Rude. Its been proven time and again. As far as having to turn wrenches here again they are so very close to being the same there really is no comparison. They each have there own little quirks that you have to adhere to to get long life and quality service from. What I mean by this is on the Merc's it is imperative that you allow the engine to warm up to operating temps before nailing the throttle...........the Rudes wait till the thermostats open and the Hammers need there own warm up time as well but not as intensive as the Merc's. You gotta do maintenance on all 3 and stating that one needs less than the other is a false statement. Plugs,filters,water pump impellars, and lower unit fluid changes need to be done and this includes 4 strokes. So you see one is not easier or more maintence free.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.