Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-09, 10:11 PM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New boat question on motors.....

I purchased an alumacraft 1442 jon boat on friday which i plan to use in electric motor only resevoirs and lakes. My question is concerning transom mount trolling motors. i had it narrowed down to a 55lbs riptide trolling motor made by minn kota...until a friend approached me about a electric motor his uncle was selling....which was an older model minn kota rated at 4 horsepower for roughly 200.00. I'm not sure what would work better for my boat....a 4 horsepower electric motor or a 55lbs thrust electric motor? The boat is 14 feet long, 42 inches across the bottom and weighs approximately 190 lbs.

After trying to figure it out searching the web i think i have thoroughly confused myself....so any help/advice/guidance and just strap up answer would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I will be turning this into a bass boat and will send pics once i get upgrading underway....

thanks for any help in advance!!!!!
Old 03-10-09, 10:28 PM   #2
damian2b

Click image for larger version

Name:	ma boat.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	3280

Here it is....bone stock...let the rigging begin!
Old 03-10-09, 10:41 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

get the troller motor. electric motors are fine, but ya can't "troll" with one. and you are gonna upgrade the rig anyway right?
Old 03-11-09, 12:27 AM   #4
CHRGD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian2b View Post
I purchased an alumacraft 1442 jon boat on friday which i plan to use in electric motor only resevoirs and lakes. My question is concerning transom mount trolling motors. i had it narrowed down to a 55lbs riptide trolling motor made by minn kota...until a friend approached me about a electric motor his uncle was selling....which was an older model minn kota rated at 4 horsepower for roughly 200.00. I'm not sure what would work better for my boat....a 4 horsepower electric motor or a 55lbs thrust electric motor? The boat is 14 feet long, 42 inches across the bottom and weighs approximately 190 lbs.

After trying to figure it out searching the web i think i have thoroughly confused myself....so any help/advice/guidance and just strap up answer would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I will be turning this into a bass boat and will send pics once i get upgrading underway....

thanks for any help in advance!!!!!

You didn't say, so I'm guessing the 55 riptide is a 24 volt? I had an older 4hp minn kota and it was a 24 volt. So the question becomes first do you was a 24 volt system. The 55lb is just over 3 hp. I would say either should push the boat along nicely. For me I always go with the biggest one only because of conditions, the windier it gets the harder it is for me to control. You can always slow the motor down, but wide open is all you'll get, you can't turn it up any futher. Hope this helps.
CHRGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 09:59 PM   #5
damian2b

the 55 riptide is a 12volt system...it is the hightest thrust on a 12 volt. I am just not sure what be best overall. Like i said i was just not sure on what had the most overall power because that would interest me most. Is there a benefit to having a 24 volt over a 12? id assume the 24 is more powerful and would last longer but the 24 would be more expensive. I apologize for what might be newbie questions....but hey im a newbie on the topic...
Old 03-11-09, 10:00 PM   #6
damian2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
get the troller motor. electric motors are fine, but ya can't "troll" with one. and you are gonna upgrade the rig anyway right?
yes i will be upgrading the boat regardless however i can only use electric so the upgrades would be seats, a bow mount, perhaps a smaller sized standing platform and eletronics...of course...this will be over time. so for right now the motor is most important and I hate regretting a purchase ya know?
Old 03-11-09, 10:02 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you are correct on the 12 versus 24. but a 12 volt would work just fine on your rig i think. and don't apologize about the questions buddy, that's what we are here for. to help in any way we can.
Old 03-12-09, 10:08 AM   #8
CHRGD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian2b View Post
the 55 riptide is a 12volt system...it is the hightest thrust on a 12 volt. I am just not sure what be best overall. Like i said i was just not sure on what had the most overall power because that would interest me most. Is there a benefit to having a 24 volt over a 12? id assume the 24 is more powerful and would last longer but the 24 would be more expensive. I apologize for what might be newbie questions....but hey im a newbie on the topic...

The only difference I see is 1 more battery, now with that said, you talked about upgrades,,,most any upgrades will surely add more weight to the boat. I've always seemed to opt for the 24 volt, lasted longer for me and has more power.
Like Bama said no need to apologize for questions, thats how we all learn. I am no expert by far,lol, just relating my past experiences. Good luck with the rig, and with your fishing.
CHRGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 04:02 PM   #9
damian2b

thanks fellas!
Old 03-12-09, 07:27 PM   #10
bassackwards

i got an 45lb (24) on my 18" bass boat and it does good so i would say a 55 on yours would be great but one thing i was thinking of was is one bat going to work with trol,lights,fish finder,live well and what other stuf your going to put on it, (i know you will)
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 06:22 PM   #11
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We put a MinKota 55lb on our old 14ft fiberglass KingFisher, and it pulls us around really nicely.....i'd imagine it'll push your lighter weight aluminum boat around without any problem.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 10:57 PM   #12
barkelypup

Quick Question. Are you going to be using this in Salt Water? If not I would recomend not getting the rip tide. Go with a regular fresh water motor. They are cheaper and not a whole lot different. Or at least it seems the last salt water t/m's cost more. Also on your up grades. You gonna be fishing alone or with a buddy mostly?

bP

Oh on the power. Definetly go with the trolling motor over the other one. You won't be able to tell any difference and you will be able to controll the boat better with the t/m.
I'm also assuming your going tiller steer. You might want to think of a foot controll motor on that boat. I've seen a few that had an aluminum bracket (home made) welded across the top. Just suggestions.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.