Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-10, 11:11 AM   #1
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Soft plastic storage? Smaller box/bag for short trips

So I got to thinking I really need to open up where I store these at. I am thinking I need a dedicated soft bag or small box to put the ones I am bringing out that day with me in.

I dont always fish from a "real" boat, so while I find myself with a few tackle boxes and am now up to 4 poles, I am not always bringing the entire setup with me. I just dont have the room to do it, and max Michigan allows is 3 poles per person.

I also fish out of a Kayak a lot (I know some people here are not fond of those damn yak fishers, I repsect the other big boats).

So in my yak I normally have the bungies holding down my smaller box, and if I use plastics I use the side and front zipper pockets on my softside box..

I am thinking I should get a small unit to just lay in front of me. Anyone have any suggestions of a smaller storage bag/unit that allows the soft plastics to lay flat, or a similar method?
Old 06-18-10, 11:22 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im about to purchase a Plano Speed Bag...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano...age-P4807.html

Thats their biggest one, they have one half that size and one that is an in between size made for storing 20 packs of larger plastics that usually come in larger pouches...those who have used it say it acts like a filing cabinet when opened up and set down in from of you...I like this idea better than a binder with ziploc sleeves... my dad has one of those and it is about to bust at teh seams with plastics older than me and you cant hardly weed through them they are so unorganized...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 12:53 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have two identical tackle bags from BPS. When my gear isn't in the boat, all my Falcon FTO boxes (and a couple Plano 3700s) are in one, and all my plastics (in original bags, sorted by type into ziplocs) are in the other.

There's a couple places I shore fish where I can take as much as I want and leave it in the truck since I'm always close to it. Other places, where I do a lot of walking, carrying two bags, and 2-4 rods isn't feasible. So I pick a few boxes, and either a selection of my favorite plastics from each type (Worms, senkos, creatures, tubes, craw, etc) or just a couple of the ziplocs and put them in one of my tackle bags.

Recently, I've been focusing on testing my new t-rig/senko rod and my new dropshot spinning reel, so I've only been bringing the ziplocs fulls of worms, senkos, finesse worms, and creatures.

I don't know how well my system would on a kayak, if it would work at all.

BB
Old 06-18-10, 01:07 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very timely post! My current tackle bag is just too big. It weighs at least 50 lbs, and is very unwieldy. I need to get 2-3 smaller bags. That would really help me out on those days where I only have an hour or two to fish and just wanna take some drop shot stuff and maybe a few other things with me.
Old 06-18-10, 01:10 PM   #5
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_FTO_Elite_Speedbag_4807/descpage-P4807.html

Thats their biggest one, they have one half that size and one that is an in between size made for storing 20 packs of larger plastics that usually come in larger pouches...those who have used it say it acts like a filing cabinet when opened up and set down in from of you...I like this idea better than a binder with ziploc sleeves... my dad has one of those and it is about to bust at teh seams with plastics older than me and you cant hardly weed through them they are so unorganized...
I started a thread awhile ago about storing soft plastics. I ended up getting that exact bag. It's pretty nice but when it's totally full it can also be hard to weed through. I wish they made an even bigger one as mine is already full.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 01:51 PM   #6
Jrob78

I use this backpack, i keep the boxes with hard baits in the bottom, soft plastics in the top and a spinnerbait binder in the front pocket. It has served my needs very well. The top also unzips and seperates from the bottom making two seperate bags.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 02:30 PM   #7
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow guys this is all great. I am really going to check some of these options out. I just realized I have an unused backpack at the house (conventional). I used to carry my DSLR camera in it as its a very nice and rugged one. I may even adapt that as its free.

These other options are very intersting. I always find myself wishing I would have thrown that bait I overlooked, and its all due to size.
Old 06-18-10, 09:19 PM   #8
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_FTO_Elite_Speedbag_4807/descpage-P4807.html

I actually have 4 bags similar to that one (and one just like it). I have senko's, beavers, and brush hogs in the three and then when I TX fish out of my partners boat I put 3-4 bags of each into the Plano bag.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.