Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-07, 09:01 AM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry SNOW!! Are you kidding me!

Brushog Jr. (My 8 year old) and I were planning on getting our season started for real this coming week since we bot have spring break. We woke up this morning to snow. We've wet the lines a couple times this season on high 30 and low 40 degree weather with no luck. Can anybody offer us some success stories of fishing high water in the snow or any advice besides fishing ungodly slow??? We will fish 3 or 4 times this week no matter what, but it be nice to have a little hope!!!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 09:13 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We are going out tomorrow regardless, so I'll let ya know if the bite is on..
Only advise I can give ya is bring two pairs of gloves, one pair will probably get wet before the days over..
Forecast here is 30's snow, and 30mph winds...I expect the eyelets of the pole to ice up~
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 09:49 AM   #3
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

In my experience, one or two days of Snow generally don't have much of an effect on the way the fish will act. It's just another overcast day as far as they're concerned. I've fished days that it was almost blizzard conditions with water temperatures in the upper 30s to low 40s with spinnerbaits and caught fish. So there's no need to worry about the snow. The high water is where the concern should be placed, depends on how high you're talking about too. Heck, just try everything you've got cuz sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to what the fish will do on a day like that.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 10:08 AM   #4
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was excited as well and now two weeks of low 40's forecasts... After we had a fwe weeks of abnormally warm 7-80 degree weather... Thats the North for you.

Let us know how you do.
Old 04-05-07, 04:28 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Most fish during the colder water spring time are feeding on baitfish, or crawfish. Snow is a LOW PRESSURE area, so don't think that only slow moving baits will work. Cold is relative. Has the water been warming? If so the fish will start moving faster and more agressive. A Cold front is bad, but cold water doesn't have to be. It's all about how cold it was, and how cold it is now. Flukes/Spinnerbaits/Cranks can work even in cold water. Slower plastics, such as a Paca Craw/JIG/Worm/Lizard can also work. I would try the faster stuff first, and then if nothing slow down with the plastics.

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 10:53 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Brushog, check the water temperature. If you are fishing from the bank get a cheap aquarium thermometer, tie a line to it and drop it in the water. Water warms up/cools down a lot slower than air. The water might be a lot warmer than you think.
Old 04-05-07, 11:00 PM   #7
keithdog

If you don't have any success with lures, try using medium size shiners. When the water is really cold,and conditions are finger numb cold, live shiners works well. Plus, it would be easier for your little one to fish with live bait too. Good luck!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.