Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-07, 04:57 PM   #1
patchino22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Cant Figure it Out

I went fishing at a local lake Sunday morning and had nothing but problems. It was one of those days that nothing went right. I accidentally threw my anchor out without it being tied to the boat, got snagged left and right, line got caught in the motor, etc. To add to my frustrations, I had an experience that I had never run across before. I was in the back of this cove and there was bass literally jumping out of the water all over the place.....I mean clear out of the water. They werent small either. There were some jumping out that could have easily been 3-4lbs. I threw everything I had in my arsenal at them: plastic worm, spinnerbait, crank bait, buzzbait, jigs.....all with and without scent, reeled in fast and slow. They wouldnt take anything. It was like the lake was just mocking me. It was a beautiful day Sunday and I thought that they would have been biting all over the place....they were certainly active. It was ideal conditions. I realize that this can be a broad question, but does anyone have any exlplanation for this?
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 05:17 PM   #2
mymomisbecky

is it a shad lake? could they have been busting a school of bait fish?
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 06:03 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Chashing shad would be my guess. A rat-l-trap or a pop-r fished fast on the surface would be my choice of baits. As far as things going wrong, you aren't alone. Had a few days like that myself.
Old 03-26-07, 06:11 PM   #4
JB

Things like this when you get in a hurry and rush...next time go through a check list before the boat even hits the water, and take your time...trust me we ALL have done it many times..
As far as the fish jumping, are you sure they aren't carp? Many times I've seen guys throw over to jumping fish and not one will bite thier lure..it very could have been a bass busting a shad, but most bass will be just at the surface, where as a carp will jump out of the water more often..plus another thing to consider is that carp and catfish up here are the first to spawn, they may have been getting ready to "do their thing"..
If it was indeed bass jumping, what works best for me is a single blade 1/4 white spinnerbait witha colorado blade, cast towards or to the side or behind the schooling bass and work it though..many crankbaits will achieve the same results too IF its bass.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 06:20 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Good point, JB. The carp have been shallow and jumping down here, too.
Old 03-26-07, 06:29 PM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sidenote..its awesome to see a giant grass carp swim about 3 feet in front of you. Those things get MASSIVE.

I saw a grass carp either try to eat a bird(I know it doesn't sound right), or get so scared because of the bird that he came out of the water, yesterday. Sounded like an alligator snapping at a gazelle, lol
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 06:40 PM   #7
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Yep, it's Carp time here, and it was tough all over around here Sunday, don't feel bad, we didn't do well at Michie. Gonna head to Falls in the morning, I think.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 07:01 PM   #8
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cast a large treble hook with a sinker and snag them big momma carps.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 08:20 PM   #9
lizardsrule

I would think "IF" they were bass, then they were chasing something. Perhaps bugs/flies/hornets, or as stated shad, but them jumping out of the water for shad isn't usually a normal thing.

Lizards
Old 03-27-07, 08:00 AM   #10
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Well there is the problem...it was Sunday...shoulda been in church, or at least that is what my Grandmother used to tell me and Dad. Saturday was for fishin.
Old 03-27-07, 08:03 AM   #11
keithdog

I'd have to go with JB. I'll betcha those were carp. Seen that behavior out of carp many times. Looks and sounds like bass gone wild. But I did have a day like that one day last year. There were some bass around my boat one mornning chasing minnows and boiling around the surface, occationally jumping here and there. Nothing I threw at them worked. Not even surface or shallow running baits. Was totally frustrating. But thats fishin for ya.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 08:31 AM   #12
patchino22

I understand the carp theory, but it was clearly bass jumping out of the water. I am thinking that they could have been chasing shad........or possibly getting chased themselves by something. I couldnt tell whether they were going after something or running from something. I guess we will never know, but thanks for the insight everyone.

Dampeoples--What lake are you hitting this weekend?
Old 03-27-07, 10:02 AM   #13
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are certain they were bass, did you notice any dragon fllies cruising around? I've see bass switch onto a dragonfly bite where they will turn off to anything else and fling themselves 2-3 feet out of the water trying to get them. I've seen this happen on the lake at my house nemerous times. It's pretty amazing to see hundreds of 3-6 pound bass so hot that they are flying around trying to eat dragon flies, and not be able to get any of them to eat anything I tried.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 04:18 PM   #14
dampeoples

Jesse, we'll be at Lake Michie for our tournament, you gonna make this one?

Went to Buggs Island today, caught three keepers
Old 03-28-07, 10:05 AM   #15
patchino22

Dampeoples--After reviewing my finanical situation, I probably wont make this one either......dont get paid until monday. But I promise I am going to get in one of these soon. Just getting my ducks in a row. I am aiming for the Mackintosh event. I will be in touch.
Old 03-28-07, 02:48 PM   #16
dampeoples

Yeah, boats and boat stuff is expensive!

Mackintosh is a nice lake, and we're going at the PRIME topwater time, just be aware it's in Burlington, so it's not a short drive!

Good luck, and if you need any more help, just shoot me an email

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.