Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-07, 11:12 AM   #1
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Another Line Question

I see a lot of topics about Flourocarbon lines and i have another question that relates to my setup.

I plan on rigging up a spinning reel for finesse fishing with light worms and shaky heads etc. Anyway I have 4,6 and 10lb test mono and I have 10lb test braid (4lb test diameter). I have been using the braid because I like the feel......but wanted to get thoughts on flourocarbon for my use. If I were to use 8-10lb test flouro would it benefit me over the braid? Whats more important....the fact it "disappears" and is thicker or that the line is smaller diameter but doesn't disappear (8-10lb flouro vs. 10lb braid)? Its a question I have pondered for some time.
Old 03-29-07, 12:55 PM   #2
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only problem (for me) is that flouro. seems to have more memory. Try copolimer. Works well for my applications.
Old 03-29-07, 05:45 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Spego, what you might do is use a fluorocarbon leader with the braid. That is the setup I have for my shakey head rig and it seems to work well. I like using 8 lb line on a spinning reel so I use 30 lb braid which has the same diameter as 8 lb mono with an 8 lb fluorocarbon leader. Fluoro is castable on a baitcaster but can be problematic on a spinning reel-flying off in loops and getting tangled since it is a stiffer line than mono.
Old 03-29-07, 06:00 PM   #4
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

that may be an option too! Thanks
Old 03-30-07, 01:51 PM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My .02 (allowing for inflation) is...
In this case I'd use #20 braid with #12 P-Line FLuorcarbon LEADER MATERIAL (Sold in handy and $$$ small 25 meter spools). Evidence seems to point to lighter fluoros tend to fail more often and especially when joined to braid.
The braid can cut through the fluoro, y'see.
I urge you to learn to tie the DuPont Stren J-Knot to join the two lines. It is a pain to learn and tie, but seems to be the most durable knot for the purpose.
You can find it on the DuPont Stren website. Practice, practice, practice, using some old mono, until you can tie it quickly, tighten it evenly, and do it in a wind!
ALWAYS slobber on the knot BEFORE you tighten it...ALWAYS...and liberally at that. Trim the loose ends close to the knot, mebbe 1/8 inch and apply a tiny drop of a super-type glue to the knot, massaging the glue in lightly...without gluing the knot to YOU.
I never attach a leader of less than 6-7 feet in length. Why? (I hear you ask,) That way I can retie several times before having to tie that &$^^%#~! J-Knot again. I often apply a 9-10 foot leader.
This accursed knot takes skill, patience, and practice but is THE best knot for the purpose.
For heavier work, such as tossing soft stuff with Medium Heavy rig, I use #30 braid with either a #15 or #20 leader...same brand and type. The only downside is that you have a bulkier knot going through the guides, but no problem so far...at least for me.
So far as leader test rating goes, I cannot believe any bass has ever failed to bite MY lil' offering because he/she saw my #12 (or larger) leader.

Good luck and be safe!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 01:58 PM   #6
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advise!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.