Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-07, 03:03 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Wormin'

I've read that one of the best line combos for worming is a 6' flurocarbon leader (Leader material) attached to braided line.

What pound test of braided line and fluoro would you recommend? I won't be fishing in heavy cover. What line brands of fluoro do you like.

thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 08:11 AM   #2
FlyRod

Thumbs up

Jools,

Such a combo is what I use better than 90% of the time, in cover or out.

For 4-6" worms, with 1/16-1/8 oz weights, I use an Team AllStar 785C, (6'6" M) with a Chronarch50MG spooled with #20 braid (yellow) and a #12 leader, 6-8 feet when newly added. The leader is (ALWAYS!) P-Line Fluorocarbon Leader material, sold in 25 meter spools. I attach leader to line with the dreaded and fearsome J-Knot.
For larger plastics, 1/8 to 5/8 oz, I use #30 braid and a leader of the same as in the lighter rig, only in 15 lb test. Rod: St'Croix AC66MHF. Reel: Either Daiwa Viento OR Curado 200BSF.
Why the long leader? Well, it has nothing to do with visibility but it does allow several reties before a new leader is needed.
For Senko-type baits, 5-6" in length, I use a medium SPINNING rod (either a Falcon, Castaway, or Med/Hvy Browning Citori, with a Quantum Ti-Mag 3000 reel. Line? #30 braid, Leader? from 12 to 15 test, depending on what I grab first.
For 4" Senko types, Falcon 5-167 Clark Wendlant Weightless Worm rod, Chonarch50MG, #20 Braid and #12 leader. Same rig for weightless worms...some of the time. I sometimes use P-Line FloroClear in place of the braid...no leader needed with that.
Anyway, be certain to use purpose-made leader material and master the J-Knot (See DuPont Stren website for instructions, practice on old braid and leftover mono until you can get it right. You lose several inches of line AND leader when you tie one successfully, so don't practice on the good stuff.)
I recommend a tiny dab of superglue on the J-Knot, rubbed into the knot. Be careful not to glue yourself TO the knot!

Good luck and be safe!

Kindly Uncle Fly
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 11:46 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

jool
for worm fishing i use 20 pound calcutta ultra braid-no leader- in the stained water i fish. in the clear water lakes i fish i use either 12 pound ande mono or 15 pound p-line floro-evolution- all three work well. braid has the feel i want where the mono and floro both work well though floro takes gettng used to as it tends to be stiffer..all 3 stretch on hook set.. the mono probly has the best wear of the three in the rocks and mussle beds i fish.

zooker
Old 04-07-07, 12:09 PM   #4
jooleyen

Flyrod - I seriously love how detailed you get.

Thank zook and fly. I'm gonna go to the store and see what I like. This is for soft plastics, but I think I might also get some #8 for my spinning rod(jerkbaits, senkos).

Do you think #8 Fluoro would be a good all around line for a medium spinning rod?

Happy Easter!
Old 04-07-07, 12:30 PM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post

Do you think #8 Fluoro would be a good all around line for a medium spinning rod?

Happy Easter!
Joolie,

Yes and No Rather than the expense and mebbe some aggravations with pure fluorocarbon, save some money AND sidestep some of the 'vations. Buy some P-Line FloroClear (Yes, that's the correct spelling) and fill 'er up after you put some old line on as backing...saves $$$.
The F'Clear is a cofilament that maintains very low visibility but may be more "mannerly" on your spin reel.
If the reel is a "2000" size then the #8 will perform well and so might the #10. If you're in a relatively hazard-free environment, go with the #8. Remember that the weight of your "Ammo" being cast is a consideration too. You don't want a heavy lure snapping the line on the cast.
If the reel is "3000" type, then #10 will certainly be a good choice, as might (even) #12 for more rugged terrain and heavier loads.
Make certain you leave enough space after spooling the backing so that you can lose a little line and still not get close the knot that joins the new line, even on a lonnnnnnng cast.
Well, that's my .02 worth, based on weird science and experience...lots of experience, BTW.
Happy Eggster to you too, son.

Uncle Fligh
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 01:06 PM   #6
jooleyen

Thanks Flyrod. I am also going to buy some line for my grandpa. He's strictly a live bait (bobber or bottom) fisherman. He has never seen or heard of fluorocarbon. I was thinking about buying him some #8 p-line floroclear? He uses a http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm...i-2234922.html
... I think its a 3000. Thanks
Old 04-07-07, 01:29 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Joolz-Flyrod is spot on with the fluoro-clear. It is MUCH easier to handle on a spinning rod than pure fluorocarbon.

Check your IM-you have mail.
Old 04-07-07, 03:31 PM   #8
jooleyen

I bought some #12 P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon 25meter leader material for soft plastics on one of my baitcasters.

For my grandpa I got P-Line Floroclear #10 for his live bait fishing.

Now my question is wether I should put backing on and then one and a half casts of FLOROCLEAR on my grandpa's spinning reel, or should I put a 6' leader on?

Thanks,

Julien
Old 04-07-07, 04:37 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Joolz, I wouldn't worry about putting a leader on the fluoroclear. The purpose of the leader is to be less visible than braid, but the fluoroclear is already low visibility.
Old 04-07-07, 05:24 PM   #10
jooleyen

No Reb,

I meant should I put a bunch of mono on, and then use the floroclear as a leader, or should I just put a whole spool of floroclear on.
Old 04-07-07, 05:44 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Ah, got it. I'd just spool the whole thing up and not worry about it but that's me. Using mono as a backing will let the FC go further. Either way you will be fine.
Old 04-07-07, 05:59 PM   #12
jooleyen

Thanks a lot Rebbasser.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.