Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-11, 09:30 AM   #1
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig Actionator.....Disco Jig Info

While browsing Hobby Lobby for jig tying supplies some months ago, I noticed a display of oversized sequins. They were slightly larger than 3/4 inch in diameter and made of a thin, somewhat bendable plastic. I bought some white AB and some clear AB (abalone finish) flat sequins and put them on the shelf at the tying bench. Several weeks ago, I was adding them to the hook shaft of a jig before tying on a rabbit strip and 6 overlaying silicone strands for a skirt. Sink testing when vertical jigging made the jig simply turn a summersault when it was lifted 4 inches or so.

I had tried several positions for the mounting point in the plastic disc, but without much difference in action.
Lastly, just as a curiosity, I punched a small hole in the disc just off center and pressed it down on the eye of the 1/16 oz. jig, snapping it over the eye and making the disc horizontal on the jighead making it appear as a spaceship Enterprise. I tied on my standard skirt pattern using the two inch rabbit zonker tail and the 6 silicone strands being slightly longer than the rabbit and stagger cut.

The disc does several things......vertical jigging it basically goes nuts....sometimes a left curve, sometimes a right, sometimes a short yank just suddenly shoots it forward. Sometimes it shoots in an upward angle, and sometimes it bends the rod tip down a little as it shoots downward and out. On the retrieve, as it's brought in at a steady pace, it quite often bottom bounced, it was hitting the bottom and then shooting up a little and then diving again....not continually scraping the bottom but hitting it every foot or so......

When jigged near the surface it would swipe the surface occasionally surfacing, then just as abruptly, diving.
In addition to the above, the abalone finish flashed in several colors, a shad like blue green, a gold flash at times, and a green at other times. In addition, it worked well using the clear, as you could still see the chartreuse jighead through the disc.

Note, when snapping the disc over the eye, I press some of the plastic back down at the base of the eye but leave enough play so the disc rotates freely when spun.....this "play" is also important to let the disc freely change angles on the eye shaft.

Good Fishing, Mac

Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.