Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-06, 05:38 PM   #1
bbtt123
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Friends new boat pickup with a question

A friend of mine just picked up what seems to be an absolutely wonderful deal for $1800. Its a 91 19ft Bayliner Cobra with a 120hp force EFI. The boat was custom worked on with all new decking in the front and back, new carpet on the decks as well. Only work we can see is having to replace the floor board (easy) and just overall cleaning up the boat and wet sanding the boat to get the paint back to original. We do need to set up fish finders and hook up the bow mount trolling motor before we get on the water. Few questions though as I have never had to work on the electronics for a boat before.

First thing is the fish finders, he wants to set up two units for the boat, one bow mount and one dash mount so that we both have access to depth info in front of us while out on the water. Can we splice both units into the same sensor or will we have to run both units separately?

Second thing is the motor, we tried to get some turnover on the motor yesterday to make sure it wasn't seized, at first we got nothing but after a bit of tweaking (oiling the cylinders a bit) the motor spun freely. The bottom cylinder is showing a lack of compression compared to the other three, I know this could be a few things (rings or piston walls) but it seems to me with the motor being semi-seized (motor was never turned over for almost 2 years) I think it might be a stuck ring right now and the motor may need a decarb? What steps should we take to fix this (easiest first please) we can rebuild the motor but would rather try simplicity first.

Other than the motor the boat for $1800 is an absolute steal as far as I'm concerned. (thanks craigslist for the deals!)
bbtt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 09:19 PM   #2
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No idea on the motor but on the fishfinders:

I put new fishfinders on my boat and I was told by a friend (hes a mechanic but that doesn't mean anything) that splicing them from the same transducer could hurt the one or both of the units. Most (me included) get a second transducer and put it on the bottom of the trolling motor with a stainless hose clamp around the unit (don't know the technical term - on the other end of where the prop is - lol). No real benefit as far as position but you don't have to worry about hurting one of your units. The worst part is fishing the wires through the hull - ugh!

Anyway, hope this helps - I may be wrong but it was a "just to be safe" thing I guess!

Jolly
Old 11-19-06, 09:21 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For the one on the dash you can run 3 different types of transducers: shoot thru, thru hull, or one thats mounted on the transom.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 12:15 AM   #4
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

DO NOT CUT OR SPLICE ANYTHING ON YOUR TRANSDUCER CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!! You should run a seperate transducer for each however there is a switching device that allows you to switch between 2 transducers for 1 unit or 1 transducer for 2 units provided the transducer is of the proper frequency for that unit. If you have to buy 2 units new they will come with transducers for each. Also when running power to your units make sure to pull power directly from the battery or from a fuse panel that has a power and ground source. Do not pull power from an instrument gauge such as a tach it will cause electrical interference and give you false readings. Keep your power cord and transducer cables seperate from any wiring harnesses because of electrical interference also.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 09:36 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Fioshin fool has the finder issue cover. DO NOT splice anything. The interference is unbeleivable. Ok on the motor. Take a good compression reading and if possible a leak down test and I could tell you exactly what the problem is. Anyway mix up some fresh gas and put in a GOOD healthy dose of Seafoam. You can get it at a parts store. Dont be afraid to use a bunch. It wont hurt the motor. While picking up the Seafoam get a can of Deep Crank.. Get access to the front of the carbs with the plugs pulled out first and just let her rip with the deep crank. Spray the carb throats VERY VERY thouroughly. Let sit over night and do it again. Get a fresh set of plugs and install them and give her a try. 90% of the time she will go ahead and fire up.mAKE SURE YA GOT THE MUFFS ON HER WHILE DOING ALL THIS never ever SPIN OR START A MOTOR WITHOUT THE MOTOR IN WATER OR ON MUFFS. 30 SECONDS OF SPINNING THE MOTOR CAN BURN THE WATER PUMP IMPELLER. If the motor was taken care of by the first owner this may be all that you have to do. Get back to me with the compression readings and if possible the leak down test numbers. A leakdown test when you install a gauge on one cylinder at a time that will show you how well the cylinder is sealing up. It takes a hose and attachment much like a compression gauge but the gauge must be the type that will drop down on the readings so you can figure the percentage of leakdown.
Old 12-20-06, 06:37 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Agree with the transducer-use one for each depthfinder. If you have a transom mount, the front depthfinder will be 19 feet from the transducer which won't do you a whole lot of good. I use this mount on mine-works great and keeps the transducer out of harms way:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Regarding the engine, or specifically Laser's advice I think the product he is referring to is DeepCreep, not DeepCrank. It, along with Seafoam does a magnificant job cleaning the crap out of an engine. I run a can of seafoam through mine every other tank of gas or so.
Old 12-20-06, 08:36 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Guys I also thought of another idea! If you guys are going Lowrance, Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, and a few others you guys can network the displays off of one transducer.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.