Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-11, 10:21 PM   #1
OttawaFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help Jigs

As I stated in my last post I am just getting back into fishing and will have many questions. This one is on jigs. I was at my local tackle shop and became overwhelmed with the number of jig types. Can someone please help me out. I am lost, what is the difference between casting, fitnesse, flipping, football, grass, swim and bladed. WOW,

Thanks a bunch, Patrick
OttawaFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:30 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Patrick, welcome to the site. If you will do a search with the search bar you will find a lot of good information on jigs from past threads. Here is a starting place for what each head is designed for.

Casting - It is designed for what it sounds like, it's designed to be a cast and retrieve jig.

Finesse - Almost always a finesse jig will be a round head jig with a finesse skirt. These jigs are great for getting a lot of bites and it will also catch you some big fish too. They are good at coming through rocks and they can be fished through some pretty heavy wood as well.

Flipping - Again, it is what it sounds like. It's a good jig for flipping in brush and laydowns.

Grass - Again, it is what it sounds like. They are designed for grass

Football head - There is a misconception that they are designed for rocks. While to an extent that is true, they are not designed for a lot of rocks. They are mainly a jig that is designed to drag on the bottom and it will kick up a bit of a mud trail on the bottom. They really shine when you are fishing in an area that has some rock but the rock is scattered.
Swim - Again it's exactly what it sounds like. They are designed to be fished in a similiar fashion to a spinnerbait. They are usually favored around grass, laydowns, or what have ya.

Bladed -I assume you are talking about a bait like a Chatterbait. They are good in most places that you would fish a spinnerbait or a swim jig.

Again I know this isn't a lot of information but it should get you started as far as understanding what each jighead design is meant to do. Like I said if you are interested in learning a lot about jigs there have been some really good threads in the past about them and you can access them through the search bar. If you still have questions then just ask.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 02-18-11 at 12:38 AM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:34 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think Kory nailed it, but the only one he didn't mention was a football jig. The football jig head is meant to keep it from getting stuck in the small rocks. The bigger head won't get stuck as easily. On bigger rocks, this is not always the case and it can actually become a liability.
Old 02-18-11, 12:39 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I think Kory nailed it, but the only one he didn't mention was a football jig. The football jig head is meant to keep it from getting stuck in the small rocks. The bigger head won't get stuck as easily. On bigger rocks, this is not always the case and it can actually become a liability.
Your right I overlooked the football head, go figure. I fixed it now though.
Old 02-18-11, 09:19 AM   #5
Ryne
BassFishin.Com Member

I throw swim jigs in places where there is too much vegitation to throw a spinnerbait. I like to use a football head where its rocky and sandy. I dont throw my jigs in the thick trees and brush, i know a lot of people do but i dont have the funds to lose 10+ jigs every time i fish.
Ryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:33 AM   #6
OttawaFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. What a great resource.
OttawaFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 01:49 PM   #7
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One thing to mention is that we are telling you where they may be designed to be thrown, but there is no hard rule. I have found times where a swimjig worked well in places where you would conventional wisdom says to use something finesse and vice versa.
Old 02-18-11, 02:27 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
One thing to mention is that we are telling you where they may be designed to be thrown, but there is no hard rule. I have found times where a swimjig worked well in places where you would conventional wisdom says to use something finesse and vice versa.
Very good point. There are no absolutes in fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.