Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-11, 04:05 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Bassfishin.com Get together Grand Lake edition

Ok it's time that this little shindig gets its own thread. Here is what we know for sure.

April 28th - May 1st

On Grand Lake of the Cherokees in Grove OK

We are still discussing the lodging. We have 3 places that we are considering. Here are the places that we are considering:

Lees Resort - http://www.leesresort.com/ - Here we would have a few options for renting cabins. We could get the big one that sleeps 14 people if we had enough members attend to warrant it, or if we wanted to keep snoring noise to a minimum then we could break down into smaller cabins.

Martin Landing - http://martinlanding.com/pgs/lodging.htm - Here is the resort that most all of the bigger tournaments come out of. They have descent ramps although there is a launching fee and I am not sure if that would be included in the rooms if we stay here.

Honey Creek - http://honeycreekresortandmotel.com/ - This resort I have no information on. I do know that it is close to Honey Creek state park which has a good ramp as long as the lake isn't high. If the lake is up you are left backing around a few downhill curves to the water, nothing major though, I do it several times a year.

I have no experience with any of these places, I have never even see the inside of rooms at any of these places. Take a look at the sites and lets start trying to decide where we are gonna stay.

Right now it looks like we may be short on boats so all members are encouraged to bring their boats with them if they would like. One idea that came up is that a few of the guys who don't have boats might want to go together and hire a guide for a day. This would most likely be cheaper than renting a boat and you would be more likely to be on fish the whole day.

Renting a boat has been mentioned by a few members too. If a few guys went together on a boat rental I think they could do it somewhat affordable. Problem is, right now we are having trouble finding marinas that rent fishing boats. As many marinas as there are on this lake I am sure that fishing boat rentals are to be had, it's just a matter of making some phone calls to track them down.

I think most of us are looking at showing up Thursday (the 28th) and staying the weekend. I may get there early Thursday and spend all day on the water or I may hang around the house until the afternoon. I will have my Triton 21X which can fish 3 guys so I will have at least one and maybe two open seats (depending on whether or not my wife comes along with me). I do have a club tournament on Saturday the 30th so I won't be able to take anyone this day. The tournament is on Grand so I will be back off the water around 3:00 to partake in the b.s. session for the evening.

Lets hear some thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 01-21-11 at 07:23 PM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:59 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I believe I will be at Table Rock during this time frame unless we decide to change our dates.

But, having rented boats several times at different lakes (just costs too much to drag a boat 8+ hours and it's a pain) you may try calling local boat dealers in the area. We've been able to rent a boat this way a couple times. Typically a rental will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-$200 a day. If you go guided, it is usually $300 - $400 per day.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 11:21 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I believe I will be at Table Rock during this time frame unless we decide to change our dates.

But, having rented boats several times at different lakes (just costs too much to drag a boat 8+ hours and it's a pain) you may try calling local boat dealers in the area. We've been able to rent a boat this way a couple times. Typically a rental will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-$200 a day. If you go guided, it is usually $300 - $400 per day.
What boat rentals we seen were around $400 for like 6 hours. These weren't fishing boats so I am not sure of the price difference between these boats and a fishing boat but if that's what the price is then hiring a guide may be a logical option.
Old 01-21-11, 11:53 AM   #4
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats weird...I looked around 8 different places...No fishing boats.
Not even Jon boats?
Old 01-21-11, 12:33 PM   #5
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
What boat rentals we seen were around $400 for like 6 hours. These weren't fishing boats so I am not sure of the price difference between these boats and a fishing boat but if that's what the price is then hiring a guide may be a logical option.
Man, that's ridiculous! Last year on Table Rock we rented a bass boat for 2 days (36 hours total) and it cost us $210 with fuel. This year we are going again only to a different resort and rental place - the cost for 3 days is $325, with no per hour fee.

Again, may want to try and call some marinas in the area for renting used boats.
Old 01-21-11, 12:48 PM   #6
pro reel

It looks like if everything works out, tavery5 and I will be there. If we get to go, we will have my 20 ft Bullet. I could take one extra person with me.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:34 PM   #7
woody

I'm not planning on attending because of finaces, but I thought would mention how quickly cabins will start to bookup this time of year. Bama's group were fortunate enough to find some vacancies. I just thought I should mention it, before it's too late.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:37 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Man, that's ridiculous! Last year on Table Rock we rented a bass boat for 2 days (36 hours total) and it cost us $210 with fuel. This year we are going again only to a different resort and rental place - the cost for 3 days is $325, with no per hour fee.

Again, may want to try and call some marinas in the area for renting used boats.
Well the boat rentals that we seen were for pontoons, playboats, and jetskis. So that is all I am basing my guesstimate for the price on. If we can find a place that will rent a few fishing boats it is possible that it would be cheaper than that but who knows. I can't figure out why none of the marinas advertise fishing boats as rentals but surely if we call around we can land something. Everettvet is hoping to make it and if he does I assume he would be bringing his boat as well. We will get it all figured out in time, we just need all the ideas we can get.
Old 01-21-11, 02:41 PM   #9
pro reel

Kory, one thing to consider on wher we stay, is water conditions for smaller boats. If it's windy, you can't even leave from Martins without a full size rig. I am not sure about Lee's. Honey creek has the area East of the bridge that is always calm and would work for smaller boats.
Old 01-21-11, 03:10 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Kory, one thing to consider on wher we stay, is water conditions for smaller boats. If it's windy, you can't even leave from Martins without a full size rig. I am not sure about Lee's. Honey creek has the area East of the bridge that is always calm and would work for smaller boats.
Yeah that is one of my concerns with staying at Martins. I have fished a lot of tournaments out of there and it can get kinda scary from there to Sailboat bridge. Lees Resort is in the mouth of Elk River and that whole area stays a lot more calm. The Honey Creek area is a good area but if the wind gets bad then smaller boats will probably be better off if they don't venture out towards Shangrila because that area can get crazy as well.
Old 01-21-11, 09:24 PM   #11
pro reel

Lees looks good. Now I need to decide if I will bring the camper or stay in a cabin. I found a couple of places on Grand that rents a fish and ski for $500 a day, for that you can have an 8 hr guided trip and still have a $200 left.
Old 01-22-11, 05:35 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Ok from the way things sound, everyone has decided to stay at Lees Resort. I think it's a good choice because it's on Elk River which isn't hard to navigate and it doesn't get near as rough as the mail lake can. Also there is a ton of good fishing in this area as well as within a few miles either way on the main lake if you decide to run that way.

We need to figure out what everyone wants to do for lodging though as far as what size cabins we want.
Old 01-22-11, 05:57 PM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am down with whatever is cheap hahahaha. I don't sleep but a few hours a night anyways. As long as I get to wash my hair on a daily basis, I am happy, and I can do that in the lake if need be hahahaha. And if there is a snorer, the Lord blessed someone with the thought of inventing ear plugs. So if some guys want to split a cabin, I'm in.
Old 01-22-11, 10:47 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Ill try and split a cabin...Need to try and book soon..I may need a few weeks to gather some scratch....I do snore like a beast though...So if I need to tent camp,Im fine with that,haha.

So Lees it is!..Im excited!
Old 01-22-11, 11:13 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Britney will probably come along with me so we will need a bedroom to ourselves but I think they have a 2 bedroom cabin that we could split with someone if needed, if not we can get a 1 bedroom cabin it doesn't really matter to us.
Old 01-22-11, 11:54 PM   #16
pro reel

I should know what I'm doing on sleeping arrangements soon. I may bring the camper since I might be staying for 9 days.
Old 01-23-11, 01:31 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

I would like to start getting a list together of who is planning on attending. Here is what I have so far and if I missed anyone please let me know and we will get you added to the list. Also if anyone who is not on the list decides they would like to attend please holler at me so I can add you.

Boaters:
carolina-rig

Pro reel

Everettvet (maybe_

Non boaters

Bubba

Tavery

Jrob

Wafflejaw

Camg (maybe)
Old 01-29-11, 07:19 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

I had Britney call Lees Resort yesterday and try and book our cabin, but nobody answered. I will try again Monday.
Old 01-29-11, 08:01 PM   #19
CamG

You can scratch me from the list. I have training the 28th and 29th, and won't be back home until the 30th. I may be down the following week for the Falcon Tourney though if some of you are still around.
Old 01-29-11, 08:29 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
You can scratch me from the list. I have training the 28th and 29th, and won't be back home until the 30th. I may be down the following week for the Falcon Tourney though if some of you are still around.
Sorry you won't be able to make it buddy, but I understand. Send me a message if you make it down for the Grand Challenge and we might be able to hook up for a day on the water. I think that Pro reel is gonna be down here for that week as well but I'm not positive.
Old 01-30-11, 02:04 AM   #21
everettvet

Ok, I am off the list. Sorry. Allen has a spring cub scout campout that weekend. I asked if we could do that at Grand lake and he was not thrilled with that idea. I told him we could still tent camp but he said he wanted to be with his friends. I said "we will be with friends" and his response was "you know what I mean." Maybe next time. Sorry.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 03:19 AM   #22
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Ok, I am off the list. Sorry. Allen has a spring cub scout campout that weekend. I asked if we could do that at Grand lake and he was not thrilled with that idea. I told him we could still tent camp but he said he wanted to be with his friends. I said "we will be with friends" and his response was "you know what I mean." Maybe next time. Sorry.
Alright Danny, I hate to hear that you won't be attending but family comes first.
Old 01-30-11, 03:20 AM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Ok fellas here is where we are at member wise:

Boaters:

carolina-rig

Pro reel

Non boaters:

Bubba

Tavery

Jrob

Wafflejaw

It's looking like it might be pretty nip and tuck as far as having enough boats to keep everyone on the water all weekend. Remember that I have a tournament the Saturday of the get together too so my boat will busy that day. Britney is my tournament partner for the club but there is a chance she will want to sit this one out and if that's the case then Bubba has agreed to take her seat. If that happens we may have one member who won't have a seat that day. I guess that makes the possibilities of 2 guys having to split a guide trip or boat rentals that much more real.
Old 01-31-11, 06:37 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

Boaters:

carolina-rig

Pro reel

66KingFisher and partner

Non boaters:

Bubba

Tavery

Jrob

Wafflejaw

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.