Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-07, 04:42 PM   #1
RETseabee
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New boat advice from the experts

I have pretty much decided that I am going to buy either a tracker Pro team 170 or 175. I have noticed on some of the other threads in this forum that there seems to be quite a debate over the 2 stroke versus the 4 stroke motor. If I'm going to get an aluminum boat is there a need to consider the four stroke or would a 2 stroke work just as well. Currently I have 1987 Ranger 320v with a Evinrude 110 4 stroke. Any advise would be great.
RETseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 05:45 PM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am not a expert just been dealing for along time with boats and motors. If you want speed and a less maintenance opt for the 2. Better fuel mileage and more maintenance the 4. I personally love a 2 stroke and it will be the day when the take it from me. The 4 has its place in the bass fishing industry just not mine. They are a excellant engine dont get me wrong but it basically comes down to what you want and need. Consider your options and what you are looking for before you buy and you will be much happier.
Old 01-26-07, 06:18 PM   #3
RETseabee
BassFishin.Com Member

Speed is not a high priority with me, I have all day to get where I need to be. I have never had a 2 stroke, but what I understand about them is you have to mix the oil with the fuel. Is that correct? Would a 50HP be suffiecient for a 17 ft. aluminum boat? Thanks.
RETseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 11:15 PM   #4
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

retseabee,
yes a 50 hp would be just fine, i had a 17ft bass tracker w/ a 40hp and it got up on plane w/out a problem.
on the 4 stroke 2 stroke thing, if your mechanically inclined a 4 stroke is great for you . 4 strokes do need more maintenence and repairs if needed can get quite expensive than 2 strokes. i prefer 2 strokes but thats me. yes 4 strokes are quieter and perhaps even more fuel efficient but the power and less maintenence of a 2 stroke appeals to me.
as 1 fastlaser said if you want fuel economy get the 4 but be prepared to have more down time w/ the boat due to the maintenence the motor requires from the manufacturer

otto

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 11:18 PM   #5
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

oh and 1 more thing ..........most 2 strokes now a days have oil injection so no need to mix just keep the oil tank full w/ 2 stroke oil and ur good to go.
the engine will mix the gas/oil mixture........now if its an older motor that is not oil injected no big deal x amout of oil per 1 gallon of gas its easy.

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 12:16 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A 50hp 2 stroke will do just fine for ya. My cousin had an identical boat and it did very well for him and little to no maintenance issues. The newer 2 strokes are oil injected so its pretty fool proof.
Old 01-28-07, 09:58 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
A 50hp 2 stroke will do just fine for ya. My cousin had an identical boat and it did very well for him and little to no maintenance issues. The newer 2 strokes are oil injected so its pretty fool proof.
Unless your a fool and don't put oil in it rotfl

These folks probably know 10 times more than I do about it, but just remember also that a 4 stroke is gonna be heavier. Any and all weight in a boat makes a difference IMO. Now with that said I do carry about 2 tons of tackle with me everytime I go fishing

Lizards
Old 02-16-07, 10:19 AM   #8
Bassin Bigdog
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a TX 190 tracker w/ 90hp Opti, and I love it, a 50 will be fine for your 175. I have had no problems with the optimax except for bustin a prop in submerged timber. OUCH Guess i should pay more attention!

the Opti is heavy though, but I can run on a good day about 50 on the GPS.
Bassin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.