Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-07, 06:43 PM   #1
rocki22
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Boat questions

New here and hoping to get some advice from those more seasoned. I'm buying a new boat and my budget isn't big. Based on my needs and budget, I’ve narrowed it down to either a 14 foot v hull (Alumacraft T14V) or a 16 foot modified v jon (Lowe 1648M) that I plan to customize with floors, seats and storage compartments. (Not any high casting decks, however). I had a Tracker super guide 16 deep v before I lost it in a divorce, so I know the solid performance of a deep v. I live in Utah, so the lakes I fish aren't huge, but they can be windy at times. I will admit, I like the additional space and wider beam of a jon, but since I've never owned one, I'm wondering what the performance would be like in windy conditions with some chop on the water. Again, the lakes are not that big(up to 8,000 acres) and I'll be along the shore most the time anyway. Thanks for any input.

Rocki
rocki22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 07:31 PM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

The 16 foot boat would be better, especially if there are 2 people fishing from the boat...less chance to hook them or their equipment.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 10:38 PM   #3
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I honestly don't know how long you will be happy fishing out of a 14' boat. I guess it depends on your fishing style and if you normally fish alone or with a buddy.

If it was me I would be looking used and try to find a bigger boat in decent shape for the same money.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 11:30 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've fished from a Lowe's and they aren't bad. The wider beam is nice, but it's still a aluminum boat, and will get ya pushed around some in the wind. Not as bad as the 14' will though. Do what I do just add fishing tackle for added weight it helps a little rotfl.

Lizards
Old 02-20-07, 07:08 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah max out your weight limit with tackle -like lizzy..

zooker
Old 02-20-07, 09:14 PM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a 16' aluminum boat, some call it an improved V, but it is pretty flat bottomed to me and it is like a sail in the wind. I was underpowered on the trolling motor anyway and I had to call it a day early several times because I just couldn't maintain any kind of boat position. I have fished out of a smaller V hull and it did seem a little less stable. The most important thing for me would be the ability to stand while fishing though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 07:19 PM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Where did the Edit button go?
Anyway I just read Nitro911's post. I guess a grand is better spent now than 6 down the road.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.